Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard press conference at 12:30

3 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

People talk about the oline but, WR is actually the deepest position group in this draft. I think it really is a matter of where you take one, but again what's your board look like after day 1, etc.

I think TY will be back after this season if he has a great year and stays injury free. With Wentz scrambling ability TY should do great. Pascal won’t break the bank. We are probably looking at 6 million a year for 3 years or something like that. But letting him test the market you never know. With campbells injury history we can only hope he stays healthy this year. Maybe next year is when we will address WR after we see this season play out. I think WR is changing. Used to be it took guys awhile to learn the nfl game. College football is now really conducive for guys to come in and have a lot of success right away now. So I think most drafts going forward will always have a lot of WR.

20 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I completely agree and I think this is the year Turay makes himself a lot of money.  Double digit sacks and a great number of pressures.  Just a feeling but I think it’s a big breakout year for Turay.

I hope so. If so he is going to be a tough one to extend. How do you pay him big bucks off one great year. Maybe give him 2 years and make him prove it again. 

Honestly what I took away from it was that he has a handful of guys he really likes.  He’s not interested in moving up to go get one of them but if one of them is there at 21 he will take him but if they are not he will look to trade back and get more picks. 

On 4/23/2021 at 5:24 PM, stitches said:

My takeaway - when asked about depth of the draft at OT and DE... he deflected the DE part, talked about OT depth - loves the depth... said maybe best draft he's seen depth wise at OT. IMO, this could be a sign of Ballard not being in a hurry to address OT. Very possible he leaves it for day 2, IMO. Maybe even double dip later? 

Another takeaway - refused to answer how many R1 grades we have - IMO clear indication they are more than willing to trade down(or up?) and just didn't want to give up leverage in negotiation talks. 

If I had to guess what we do... 

1. trade back....

2. pick DE early

3. pick OT day 2... (maybe with one of the picks we get as compensation from trading back)

Agreed. Hoping he takes advantage of the OL depth... and takes one day 2.

On 4/23/2021 at 8:06 PM, Wentzszn said:

He did mention there was a bunch of players they would be comfy picking at 21. That tells me he could move down a few spots in the first. Pick up that third rd we are missing. Wonder if there is a way to get a early second and keep our 54 pick giving us two seconds. That would be ideal if we moved down four or five spots in the first then get a extra second or that third round pick back. That gives us 2 picks in the first and second rounds. Could pick up 3 nice players.

Just from a draft capital perspective, the value of our 21st is close to a 30+80. 

That would keep us in the 1st (5th year option), and give us the 3rd we lost in the Wentz trade.

Now of course teams looking to move up often give up more than equal capital, but 30+80 I'd say is the worst we could do. IMO, we'd likely be able to get a late 2nd along with a late 1st or early second, for our 21st. We could get even more capital value if we're willing to take a future year's pick. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Agreed. Hoping he takes advantage of the OL depth... and takes one day 2.

Just from a draft capital perspective, the value of our 21st is close to a 30+80. 

That would keep us in the 1st (5th year option), and give us the 3rd we lost in the Wentz trade.

Now of course teams looking to move up often give up more than equal capital, but 30+80 I'd say is the worst we could do. IMO, we'd likely be able to get a late 2nd along with a late 1st or early second, for our 21st. We could get even more capital value if we're willing to take a future year's pick. 

One trade idea saw linked to the Colts was the Saints trading the Colts their first and two thirds.  That’s in the ballpark about what you are talking.  If Ballard isn’t in love with anyone at 21 or there are multiple guys left I could see him looking for a deal like the Saints one that was floated.  Should note this wasn’t reported as something that was even being talked about just a sports writer who said that trade would make sense if the Saints wants to come up to get a WR or CB.  

15 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I finally listened to the entire press conference today.  The thing that stood out to me was how much he likes Lewis and how pleased he is with his growth.  He thinks highly of Turay as well and I get the impression he is expecting great things from both of them this year.  I certainly feel that way about Turay.  That's why I'm starting to think ER won't be our 1st pick.  The forcing the issue comment had me thinking about this ER class.  Maybe later in the draft we take one.  I still see us signing a veteran a well.  5 or 6 difference makers pretty much takes them off the board for us.  So for me I'm starting to think LT and WR as being high picks.  That's the strength of the class and we need a replacement for TY.  JMO.

Did it seem like to you reading between the lines that there moving on from Houston? It did to me or maybe I'm reading to much into it. 

On 4/24/2021 at 10:34 AM, Les Poulains said:

Imo, it would make little sense for us to take Little. We might have the most questionable LT situation in the league at the moment so I really doubt we'd take the risk of getting the guy that has played the least amount of football out of anyone. He makes the most sense for a team that has a viable starter but views him as a high upside project/eventual long term solution. 

“Least amount of football”??

I think there’s been a misunderstanding somewhere.   It’s not that Little has played the least.   It’s that he hasn’t played in roughly two seasons. 

Little started most of his freshman year and all of his sophomore year.  He’s got about 20 starts under his belt.   He started the first game of his junior year before getting hurt.   So, his gap in time started in September of 19.     That’s the concern with Little.   Time away from playing,  but not amount of time played. 

If you still don’t want Little,  that’s fine.  I completely understand.   Everyone has a different tolerance to risk.  Your mileage may vary.     :thmup:

23 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm really hoping Smith size drops him to 21. He's a WR that I would love at 21.

Highly doubt he drops that far but would love Smith as he reminds me so much of Marvin

if you think we are taking a WR ur out of ur mind. 

17 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

One trade idea saw linked to the Colts was the Saints trading the Colts their first and two thirds.  That’s in the ballpark about what you are talking.  If Ballard isn’t in love with anyone at 21 or there are multiple guys left I could see him looking for a deal like the Saints one that was floated.  Should note this wasn’t reported as something that was even being talked about just a sports writer who said that trade would make sense if the Saints wants to come up to get a WR or CB.  

I think there are all kinds of situations that could develop. Only takes one team to really like someone. 

I hope Ballard's comments about OL depth means he's comfortable with the talent he believes will be available in the 2nd. 

And I'm more than happy with a trade back so long as we still get an early DE and semi early LT.

All I know is Ballard needs to hit both positions, and not miss. With likely no 1st rounder next year, and lots of money likely spent on a few contracts, we can't afford to miss and/or go big in FA.

38 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Well we were shocked at moving up for Taylor last season. Who would of thought we would take a RB in the second round.

We also didnt need a LT, DE. If anyone thinks we are taking WR before either of those two, they havent been paying attention the last 5 years. 

3 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

We also didnt need a LT, DE. If anyone thinks we are taking WR before either of those two, they havent been paying attention the last 5 years. 

That depends how the board falls

I personally would go

21 DE

54 OT

127 WR 

Just now, danlhart87 said:

I'm saying its certainly possible depending how the board falls

I don't think so, not this year. I think what you just said is reasonable. Even if we did trade back people are forgetting we dont need one DE, we need two. Whilst there might be OT depth, not every position is gonna be there day 2. Also, I would say CB is a higher need than WR. 

3 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I don't think so, not this year. I think what you just said is reasonable. Even if we did trade back people are forgetting we dont need one DE, we need two. Whilst there might be OT depth, not every position is gonna be there day 2. Also, I would say CB is a higher need than WR. 

CB and WR are equal to me 

Next year they will be big needs

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

I don’t expect them to take a WR in the first or second round. But we also need to see how the board falls. After this year there is a lot of uncertainty with our WR Group. What if a couple of those dline and tackles we like   go early and a couple of these stud WR are there at 21. We will need to see how things play out. Like Ballard has said he won’t take A edge or tackle if it isn’t the right one.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

“Least amount of football”??

I think there’s been a misunderstanding somewhere.   It’s not that Little has played the least.   It’s that he hasn’t played in roughly two seasons. 

Little started most of his freshman year and all of his sophomore year.  He’s got about 20 starts under his belt.   He started the first game of his junior year before getting hurt.   So, his gap in time started in September of 19.     That’s the concern with Little.   Time away from playing,  but not amount of time played. 

If you still don’t want Little,  that’s fine.  I completely understand.   Everyone has a different tolerance to risk.  Your mileage may vary.     :thmup:

Right yeah, time away. In our situation when we likely need a guy that can start almost right away, a guy not playing for two years is likely viewed as risky. If Little had been draft eligible last year when Castonzo was still here, I think he'd be a great pick. By all intents, he looks like an NFL left tackle. 

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

I would prefer two DEs as well, but I can see Ballard looking at Lewis and seeing Autry's replacement. or at least part of a committee approach with Rochelle. And if we do need two, and try to add two, one will likely be via FA. Highly doubt they would go DE twice even if they moved back a little and picked up another early pick. In short, love to pick up two, wouldn't be surprised for only one.

I think both WR and CB are near the same situation. CB1 and WR1 are both aging vets and temp (Hilton and Rhodes). There are two legit long term guys from each unit (Pittman and Moore), and two big questions marks (Parris and RYS). At least RYS hasn't had as many health issues as PC. In terms of depth, both have position flexible and quality #4s (Pascal can play big slot or depth X, and Carrie can play inside or out). Beyond the 4, both units have "potential", but that's about it. Patmon and Tell might be good, might not. Rodgers and Harris both can burn, but are undersized. In short, both look almost identical in terms of situation.

56 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I don’t expect them to take a WR in the first or second round. But we also need to see how the board falls. After this year there is a lot of uncertainty with our WR Group. What if a couple of those dline and tackles we like   go early and a couple of these stud WR are there at 21. We will need to see how things play out. Like Ballard has said he won’t take A edge or tackle if it isn’t the right one.

It's true the board could fall a lot of ways, but chances are, the odds are simply with DE and LT. If depth wasn't as good as it is with T, I might expect more of a surprise, but it's great. 

Overall, our next year's uncertainty doesn't rank near as high as this year's uncertainty right now (purely my opinion). It's just not smart to ignore a flat tire today worrying about a possible paint job next year. 

1 hour ago, Les Poulains said:

Right yeah, time away. In our situation when we likely need a guy that can start almost right away, a guy not playing for two years is likely viewed as risky. If Little had been draft eligible last year when Castonzo was still here, I think he'd be a great pick. By all intents, he looks like an NFL left tackle. 

For what it’s worth, I’m not sure any of the OT’s that will be available will be ready to start on Day One.   I think most will need a fair amount of on the job training and I’m not sure how we will handle that?   It would not surprise me if our rookie OT didn’t start until the bye week or maybe even Year Two.  Just a guess. 

By the way, I glanced at your profile and confirmed you’re new.   Welcome to the website.   Hope you enjoy it.   User Warning:  it can be dangerously addictive!   Have fun!   :thmup:

56 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Your right we need a left tackle it does us no good to get a WR if Wentz is always on his back. 

It all depends on how the draft falls.  I expect the Colts to go LT or DE first and I think this draft is set up for a guy to be about 21st on the Colts board to make that happen but if someone slips you ranked way higher on the board Ballard will take regardless of position like he took Taylor last year when people said they didn’t need a running back.  He was just too good to pass on.  Still I am expecting a LT or DE if the Colts stay at 21 but I am not going to be blown away if it’s another position.  

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It all depends on how the draft falls.  I expect the Colts to go LT or DE first and I think this draft is set up for a guy to be about 21st on the Colts board to make that happen but if someone slips you ranked way higher on the board Ballard will take regardless of position like he took Taylor last year when people said they didn’t need a running back.  He was just too good to pass on.  Still I am expecting a LT or DE if the Colts stay at 21 but I am not going to be blown away if it’s another position.  

Just my opinion...

Last year was a bit different. We didn't have two big holes at prime positions. We also filled our primary hole earlier (X WR). 

RB was a need at that time simply because Mack was in a contract year (and I didn't see Ballard paying top dollar on a RB).

Just now, EastStreet said:

Just my opinion...

Last year was a bit different. We didn't have two big holes at prime positions. We also filled our primary hole earlier (X WR). 

RB was a need at that time simply because Mack was in a contract year (and I didn't see Ballard paying top dollar on a RB).

The had a hole at QB (Rivers was a one year option), they knew AC was walking away either after that year or the following year, pass rush was still a similar issue as it is now. So yes they had major holes to fill last year too.  They just saw a talent that was too good to pass up on when they had a chance to get him.  That’s what masters of the draft do.  They focus on finding those guys who are going to be good players not just looking to fill holes because they need holes filled.  Ballard has talked about that with the QB position since Luck retired that you can’t just force that pick because you need a QB.  

If Ballard doesn’t feel good about the talent at LT or end he’s not just going force that position because he needs one.  He will find another way to fill that hole.  With that said, I do think he’s going to feel good about someone who can fill those needs in this draft like he did with Pittman and Blackmon a year ago at WR and Safety.  I am just saying he’s not going to force it because they need a LT or end if he sees a talent he doesn’t think he can get away.  With that said I expect this draft to play out in away that there will be a few ends and tackles sitting there at 21 all ranked on his board around 21 and he’s going to grab one.  

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The had a hole at QB (Rivers was a one year option), they knew AC was walking away either after that year or the following year, pass rush was still a similar issue as it is now. So yes they had major holes to fill last year too.  They just saw a talent that was too good to pass up on when they had a chance to get him.  That’s what masters of the draft do.  They focus on finding those guys who are going to be good players not just looking to fill holes because they need holes filled.  Ballard has talked about that with the QB position since Luck retired that you can’t just force that pick because you need a QB.  

If Ballard doesn’t feel good about the talent at LT or end he’s not just going force that position because he needs one.  He will find another way to fill that hole.  With that said, I do think he’s going to feel good about someone who can fill those needs in this draft like he did with Pittman and Blackmon a year ago at WR and Safety.  I am just saying he’s not going to force it because they need a LT or end if he sees a talent he doesn’t think he can get away.  With that said I expect this draft to play out in away that there will be a few ends and tackles sitting there at 21 all ranked on his board around 21 and he’s going to grab one.  

There were a ton of QB options that were going to be available, and Ballard chose to go the FA route early (first to Detroit, second Philly). 

AC had another year left on his contract. He waked away a year early, right? But like I said, RB was in an even more timely situation.

I'm not discounting BPA, but need does play a large roll. If two guys are close, they go with need. I'm not sure anyone will fall that is so far ahead of need this year. But if you're full in on BPA, let's say their top graded RB is there at 54, and is clearly higher graded than other picks. Do you think they would take another RB this year in the 2nd? Of course not.

25 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

There were a ton of QB options that were going to be available, and Ballard chose to go the FA route early (first to Detroit, second Philly). 

AC had another year left on his contract. He waked away a year early, right? But like I said, RB was in an even more timely situation.

I'm not discounting BPA, but need does play a large roll. If two guys are close, they go with need. I'm not sure anyone will fall that is so far ahead of need this year. But if you're full in on BPA, let's say their top graded RB is there at 54, and is clearly higher graded than other picks. Do you think they would take another RB this year in the 2nd? Of course not.

You and me are really saying the same thing when it comes to the draft if you read the posts I’ve been making all day.  I am not all in on BPA.  I’ve been saying it’s not strictly need or BPA it’s a mix.  All I am saying is they aren’t going to reach for a LT or DE because they need one if one isn’t there at 21.  If another position is and he thinks the guy is a good player he will take him at 21.  All this is assuming he doesn’t trade back as well.  As I said before though I think the make up if this draft means there will be DEs and LTs there when he picks and yes I agree if everyone is ranked around 21 on his board then need trumps things.  However, if someone slips and Ballard thinks they are just too good to pass on he will pull the trigger regardless of position.  Still if I was a betting man I would say the odds are extremely high the Colts go LT or end with their first pick probably even their first two picks.  

The Colts do have other options if they can’t get a LT or end in this draft.  They could play one of the guys they signed or move Smith or Nelson to LT.  We can debate how much we like those options but that’s another topic and not really my point, which is that’s an option good or bad.

At end Ballard still seems to believe they can get something out of Turey and Banogu.  He did say in his end of season press conference they needed to step up.  He could also go hard after Houston if he can’t land an end in the draft.  So he has a couple of options there.  Same thing as above about debating how good of options those are.

I fully agree, expect, and want the Colts to land a LT and End in the first two rounds of this draft.  All I am saying is he’s not going to force it because it’s need.  Still I think he’s going to target it and look to address it.  

Archived