Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Rule Changes - Ot Rules, Turnovers Automatically Reviewed

chad72

Am all for the OT rule, never did like the luck of the coin toss, usually decided the game, especially in this day and age with the kickers in the league.

Turnover rule am neutral on, think it delays the game some as has the review of every touchdown. In some cases no reason for it and nothing to review, but it has to be all or nothing.

Overtime rules are common sense, turnover reviews could get annoying... not long until every play gets reviewed at this rate. Making the jobs of the refs too easy, should leave it down to the coaches to decide whether they want to review it or not.

I was fine with the overtime rule. Each team had four quarters to win the game so they should not be complaining that it is sudden death. Last time I checked they still had a defense that can potentially stop the other team and get the ball to their offense to give them a chance to win. Even when the Colts got beat in overtime they only have themselves to blame for it. Our defense should have stepped up and made a play.

Yay now they added more time that they can cut to commercials while they are reviewing the turnover. Yippie. :argh:

If it is an INT, what is there to review? At least hoping they let the play finish before reviewing it. The last thing we want is an inadverdent whistle in the middle of a turnover related play.

There are cases where it's not as clear. Last year, Vick got charged with an INT that clearly hit the ground after watching replays, but those were never shown in the stadium. Most INTs are cut and dry, but I guess it'd be used on passes that may have hit thr ground, or where there's a question if a defender got both feet inbounds.

The coin toss in OT didn't always decide NFL football games. Remember Seattle SeaHawks QB Matthew Hasselback's prediction "We're gonna get the ball & we're gonna score." Then, he throws a pick 6 in Green Bay. I don't recall the exact year though.

But, I agree OT rule changes are long overdue & a much welcome change IMO.

I like the new rules, I wish they would change the rule- cant touch a player 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage, I hate that rule, How are ya supposed to keep up with the Andre Johnsons and Calvin Johnsons of the NFL if ya cant put a body on them?

I also think helmet to helmet is called to much, I believe it should only be called if a wide receiver or tight end is CLEARLY not able to protect himself such as the Merriweather hit on Todd Heap. while Todd was up the air he was headbutted and Merriweather didnt even attempt to tackle him which was needed anyway as Todd was suspended in the air, a wide receiver has to have 1 foot on the ground and possession of the ball, meaning it has to appear that he has the ball secured

The coin toss in OT didn't always decide NFL football games. Remember Seattle SeaHawks QB Matthew Hasselback's prediction "We're gonna get the ball & we're gonna score." Then, he throws a pick 6 in Green Bay. I don't recall the exact year though.

But, I agree OT rule changes are long overdue & a much welcome change IMO.

2003 Wild Card game.

I still don't get why they can't just play 15 more mins of football for OT.. then go into the new (like the new better than the old) OT rule for 2nd OT if needed.. ??????

because we don't want 5 hour games. i wish they just stayed with sudden death, playoffs or regular season. like wholefn said, if you couldn't put it away in regulation, then you have no business whining about unfair OT rules