47 members have voted

1. 1. What unit (starters) is the weakest going into the season

• Pass O
    • Rush O
    • Pass D
    • Rush D
    • Special Teams Kicking
    • Special Teams Returning
  2. 2. What Position Group (starters) is weakest going into the season?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/12/2020 at 04:20 AM

Just to be more specific and ranking my top 5 concerns in terms of weaknesses:

1. FG kicking - it's always scary to have a rook making big kicks, and South Carolina will be on my mind.

2. SS - Willis got picked on in the passing game last year, and I'm sure QBs will test him early and often.

3. CB2 - a little concerned about Rhodes, but the camp reports have toned down those concerns.

4. TE - IMO, we'll be fine with Doyle and MAC. We didn't run a ton of 2 TE sets in previous years, and having two 6-4 WRs goes a long way if we need to play possession ball. 

5. Returns - I'm very confident in Hines, but a tiny bit worried about Rodgers as a rook. Glad he's getting the nod though given his crazy speed. 

For me, weakest unit was a toss-up between Pass D and ST Kicking.

I went with Pass D because there are multiple layers of failure there from last year - including the play of Willis, the secondary communication issues the last 5-6 games last season, Moore being out, and the lack of D Line pressure. We hope to have fixed all of those but it remains to be seen. As for ST Kicking, we still have Sanchez who is fantastic...so I couldn't pick that unit even though I have big questions about Blank's ability to perform under pressure.

As to position group, I had to go with kicker. We simply don't know what Blank will do under immense pressure.

Voted Pass D as the weakest unit and TE as the weakest position group. We really have no depth at CB if Rock or Xavier go down, and although Xavier looked good in training camp and practices, we don't know 100% yet in a real-time game setting. Carrie is somewhat of a backup to Moore, and Rodgers is a rookie. Like the Safeties, but the CBs could be our weakest position group.

TE's I do have ranked as our weakest group though. Doyle is an ok no1 TE, nothing special. Mo Allie-Cox is a weak no2 with Burton out, and Togiai is an absolute wildcard at this point. Without Burton, the quality significantly decreases at the position.

58 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

For me, weakest unit was a toss-up between Pass D and ST Kicking.

I went with Pass D because there are multiple layers of failure there from last year - including the play of Willis, the secondary communication issues the last 5-6 games last season, Moore being out, and the lack of D Line pressure. We hope to have fixed all of those but it remains to be seen. As for ST Kicking, we still have Sanchez who is fantastic...so I couldn't pick that unit even though I have big questions about Blank's ability to perform under pressure.

As to position group, I had to go with kicker. We simply don't know what Blank will do under immense pressure.

ON PAPER, the pass D should be a strength this year. I'm pretty confident with our starters. The pass rush should make things much easier. I felt sorry for the DBs last year as we simply had zero rush a lot of times. And Flus just didn't blitz a lot. That soft zone drove me crazy at times.

26 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Voted Pass D as the weakest unit and TE as the weakest position group. We really have no depth at CB if Rock or Xavier go down, and although Xavier looked good in training camp and practices, we don't know 100% yet in a real-time game setting. Carrie is somewhat of a backup to Moore, and Rodgers is a rookie. Like the Safeties, but the CBs could be our weakest position group.

TE's I do have ranked as our weakest group though. Doyle is an ok no1 TE, nothing special. Mo Allie-Cox is a weak no2 with Burton out, and Togiai is an absolute wildcard at this point. Without Burton, the quality significantly decreases at the position.

Keep in mind the OP said "starters". Carrie is a solid backup both inside and outside. I like him better as NB, but he's flexible. Moore is the biggest worry in terms of injury, so having Carrie is a plus. I really like our top 4 CBs, so just not feeling the concern around CBs if reports from camp about Rhodes are accurate. Anyway, I like the starting CBs over the starting Ss. I'm just not sold on Willis at all.

Doyle was near the tops in the league in terms of separation. IMO, he's a lot more than just OK. He's not a dynamic guy, but he simply runs great routes and is open, and blocks well. MAC is a wildcard, but it's not like we run a lot of 2 TE sets. As long as Pittman and/or Patmon develop, not really worried about TE beyond Doyle. Run either Pittman or Patmon out of the slot, and it's basically a TE route. And I think most expected Pittman to get time in the slot anyway. 

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

Our WR corps have not got it done for a while. I have to see it before am unable to call them the weakness. 

Injury and QB play hurt us last year, and we had at least on paper a pretty good starting 3. I won't pretend that I'm not concerned about health again this year, but we know at least we have a QB that can deal it around quickly. Purely my opinion, but injury is the only thing that can hold this year's WR back. But even then, I like our depth better than I have in a long time.

Archived