Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Here's how I would handle 34 and 44

This is dependant on Love falling to the bottom of the 1st at least

The draft is constantly filled with give and take 

For example the risk of trading up at 34 and only giving a 4th is a lot less risky if at 44 you are willing to drop 4 to 6 spots to gain that 4th back.

So with that said here's my suggestion 

Colts get 31

49ers get 34 and 122

Colts get 49 and 124

Steelers get 44

so in reality we don't end up losing much and I see this as a win win.

There will still be plenty of solid talent at 49 IMO.

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

This is dependant on Love falling to the bottom of the 1st at least

The draft is constantly filled with give and take 

For example the risk of trading up at 34 and only giving a 4th is a lot less risky if at 44 you are willing to drop 4 to 6 spots to gain that 4th back.

So with that said here's my suggestion 

Colts get 31

49ers get 34 and 122

Colts get 49 and 124

Steelers get 44

so in reality we don't end up losing much and I see this as a win win.

There will still be plenty of solid talent at 49 IMO.

personally if the guy we want isn't there at 34 and we don't like what's there wouldn't mind if Ballard traded down and added a couple extra picks if possible.

Would you be willing to trade 44 for a #1 next year? I think I’d be willing to do that only if CB was thinking he wants in on the QB class next year instead of this years group. Ammo for moving up with two 1’s is much easier than without.  

10 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

personally if the guy we want isn't there at 34 and we don't like what's there wouldn't mind if Ballard traded down and added a couple extra picks if possible.

There is plenty of reason to believe there will be 3-4 guys there at 34 that CB wants.
 It is just a matter if there is to much value in a trade offer to turn down.
  I have no doubt CB Wants to trade back for more picks. And i am hoping next years one is used for a couple quality picks now.

5 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Would you be willing to trade 44 for a #1 next year? I think I’d be willing to do that only if CB was thinking he wants in on the QB class next year instead of this years group. Ammo for moving up with two 1’s is much easier than without.  

Honestly, I'd trade 34 for a #1 next year.  I would trade a 2nd for a next year 1st 9 times out of 10, the one time I wouldn't would be if there's a guy I just have to have.  I think this front office has the security to wait a year in order to get the extra value.  Especially in this parity driven league where you never know where a team is going to pick.  Could end up with a top 10 pick.  I don't see anyone making that offer though.

42 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Honestly, I'd trade 34 for a #1 next year.  I would trade a 2nd for a next year 1st 9 times out of 10, the one time I wouldn't would be if there's a guy I just have to have.  I think this front office has the security to wait a year in order to get the extra value.  Especially in this parity driven league where you never know where a team is going to pick.  Could end up with a top 10 pick.  I don't see anyone making that offer though.

I’d wonder if San Fran wouldn’t offer that #44 for next years 1st and would it be enough given it would likely be in the mid to late 20’s at best as they have a very good team. Might only be at the best a 12 spot advance a year away, assuming they were to win the SB. I’d sure like it if one of those teams that think they are close and want a certain player that’s there at 44, offer the trade of a first next year and then it turn into a top 10 somehow or low teens. Like say the Jets maybe Atlanta or even Philly. Idk, anything is possible. 

10 hours ago, Archer said:

Might be a good idea if one liked Love (yuck).  I’d do it for Mims...

Only position worth trading up for is QB. 

We aren't gonna win titles because of Mims but putting your faith in QB that you have to trade up for though risky can be well worth it. (Mahomes)

Love is worth the risk IMO.

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

Love is worth the risk IMO.

I'm actually really looking forward to seeing how Love turns out over the years.  I often have players that have a lot of draftnik fans that I just fail to see the appeal.  And I've certainly been wrong on some notable ones (Tyron Smith, Davin Cook, etc.).  But sometimes I've been right.  Love has good arm talent, but I'm not sold it's elite arm talent and I'm not sold on his command over the mental game.  I think he's going to follow the Josh Allen route (though the book isn't yet written on him, even).

I don't think our current situation really warrants having to go get Jordan Love.  Rivers is the starter this year and probably next year too if things go well.  Ballard may still think Brissett is enough to win with the ridiculous defense being built right now.  I believe Ballard was being absolutely honest when discussing the whole "don't force the QB" narrative.  

While it's nice to have an elite QB, it's not always necessary to win a title if the pieces around you are good enough.  Manning and Brady have both won titles despite themselves in recent years.  It happens.  

I could see us keeping Rivers and Brissett for the next couple years, while drafting a mid to late round flier and UDFAs until he finds one he likes.  I don't see there being a rush and neither does Ballard.  He always has the vision to know what we need right now, regardless of what appears on the surface today.  

2 hours ago, BluHorzhu said:

I could see us keeping Rivers and Brissett for the next couple years, while drafting a mid to late round flier and UDFAs until he finds one he likes.  I don't see there being a rush and neither does Ballard.  He always has the vision to know what we need right now, regardless of what appears on the surface today.  

I really don't want to see the team take the Post-Manning-Broncos route....  I don't think there's any point forcing a pick at any position, let alone the most critical one... But still, I hope they don't decide to just drag some JAG out after the mid rounds every year and play him in the PS saying, omg.....look at the potential!

7 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

I really don't want to see the team take the Post-Manning-Broncos route....  I don't think there's any point forcing a pick at any position, let alone the most critical one... But still, I hope they don't decide to just drag some JAG out after the mid rounds every year and play him in the PS saying, omg.....look at the potential!

At some point Ballard has to find the future. The only JAG QB I think has some traits already and could be developed is Gordon. Although I am warming up to Fromm because like I have said about Gordon taking them in a mid round you aren’t using a lot of draft Capitol so at worst we have a future backup.

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

At some point Ballard has to find the future. The only JAG QB I think has some traits already and could be developed is Gordon. Although I am warming up to Fromm because like I have said about Gordon taking them in a mid round you aren’t using a lot of draft Capitol so at worst we have a future backup.

With the 34th pick in the nfl draft the colts select  James Morgan lol

Archived