Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard interview with Dakich

Restinpeacesweetchloe

4 hours ago, Myles said:

Actually what scares me is that I hadn't seen him play and I'm totally relying on draft analysis reports from sites or people who know more about him than me.   I'm not saying I take it all as gospel, but it is worrisome.  The drop in his stats don't bother me too much.   It's more when I hear he doesn't read the field well or go past his first read.  

Fair enough.    I’m just suggesting that his issues weren’t nearly as bad in 2018 when he played at a very high level.

Its likely Love’s issues can be fixed...   or certainly improved on.   The 2019 circumstances were perfect for a poor season for him.    

• Like 1

I don’t care if we get a QB at 13. As long as we get a DT in the second round. Ballard will not be on the hot seat at all and will be given additional time. As he had stated “I thought Andrew was going to be my quarterback heading into the season” For that fact we also need to give him time. Regardless of how you feel about him. We have a nice core of young talented players. Let the process continue.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2020 at 1:00 AM, Superman said:

People around the Internet keep saying this. The problem is it's not true.

When I look at his highlights I see lots of deep balls, fades and throws to open guys.  That never inspires me to like a guy, those aren't necessarily NFL level throws, to me that's Mariota.  I haven't seen enough to be sure but for a guy in a league this weak he should have dominated it and not go 20/17.  When people blame the coaches I become even more skeptical not less.  Makes me very unsettled on Love.

2 hours ago, Rally5 said:

When I look at his highlights I see lots of deep balls, fades and throws to open guys.  That never inspires me to like a guy, those aren't necessarily NFL level throws, to me that's Mariota.  I haven't seen enough to be sure but for a guy in a league this weak he should have dominated it and not go 20/17.  When people blame the coaches I become even more skeptical not less.  Makes me very unsettled on Love.

Have you watched anything other than highlights? Have you watched any games from 2018 and compared his play with his games from 2019?

I'm not calling him the next great NFL QB. I'm just defending him against this faux analysis. 

2 hours ago, Rally5 said:

Go watch the Michigan state game from 2018. Even the highlights will give you a better representation of what he can do. All kinds of intermediate throws. There is nfl throws throughout the video.  Utah state isn’t Alabama where they are going to be able to reload with talent when losing as much as they did.

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Have you watched anything other than highlights? Have you watched any games from 2018 and compared his play with his games from 2019?

I'm not calling him the next great NFL QB. I'm just defending him against this faux analysis. 

I didn't see much, no question.  I did watch the bowl game just because he was playing and I heard some hype here and it seemed fairly consistent with what his tape shows I thought.  I see signs of potential but I don't see a guy making NFL throws or reads at the moment.  I do see athleticism and a big arm but throwing deep balls for guys to run under and deep fades are the easiest throws to make not the hardest.  I think people confuse those throws, since they are big plays, as NFL skills.  You're point is incredibly fair, I haven't seen nearly enough tape, nor am I a pro scout.  I'm only going off what I've seen in highlight videos.  So, I'm not saying he can't play or bust or anything like that, maybe I would feel different if I saw more tape.  PLUS, I'm always super suspicious of guys who can't dominate in sub par conferences, that actually matters a lot to me as well.  In the end, I'm not an 'absolutist' on the guy, just not overly impressed, if CB gets him I'll buy in immediately. :)

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Go watch the Michigan state game from 2018. Even the highlights will give you a better representation of what he can do. All kinds of intermediate throws. There is nfl throws throughout the video.  Utah state isn’t Alabama where they are going to be able to reload with talent when losing as much as they did.

I'll try to find it on your recommendation.

On 1/28/2020 at 2:03 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Love scares you because he didn't have a good 2019 season.    A season in which he lost 9 former offensive starters,  and his coaching staff and the system they played in a very successful 2018 season.      In 2018,  Love completed 64% of his passes for 32 TD's and only 8 interceptions.   Those are quality numbers.     If the numbers were  reversed and his 2018 numbers in 2019,  then you wouldn't be scared of him.    

Just remember the circumstances that surrounded the kid this past season.   And he just had a good all-star game playing with talent and better coaching.    You might want to consider that as well.     Just food for thought......

You could argue the reverse as well.  Was he only good because he was surrounded by senior/talented guys.  My experience says QB's lift up everyone one around them, usually not the reverse, BUT this certainly could be the exception.  I'm trying to think of an example where this was true and the guy turned out to be a top tier pro QB, can you think of one...not being a Smart aleck, I'm honestly asking.

6 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

You could argue the reverse as well.  Was he only good because he was surround by senior/talented guys.  My experience says QB's lift up everyone one around them, usually not the reverse, BUT this certainly could be the exception.  I'm trying to think of an example where this was true and the guy turned out to be a top tier pro QB, can you think of one...not being a Smart aleck, I'm honestly asking.

I would say yes this would normally be true. But when you lose your entire offense and coach I think that is a little bit to overcome. Add oline to all the skill position players he lost.  Utah state isn’t LSU or Alabama where they reload every year. I think his running back he had in 2018 is actually on the chiefs and playing in the SB this weekend.

49 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think this is the video.

Ok, I just watched, I'm going to admit laziness and not do a full scouting report which would include proper data and analytics and just tell you what I see when I watched that video.  

• An immense number of completions are swing routes to open backs.
  • Most completed passes are in air under 5 yards.
  • Very few completed contested passes.
  • Not a single play under center.
  • Gets audibles from the sidelines.
  • Not once stepped up into the pocket, rolls back or horizontal under pressure. This is massive for NFL QB's, you have to know how to manipulate the pocket and not run from it.
  • Throws off back foot a lot and is very inaccurate when doing so.
  • Seems fast but doesn't quite maximize it.
  • Inconsistent arm motion, can be really quick when necessary which is great, also winds up at times when not hurried.  
  • Needs A LOT of work but the raw materials are there.
  • That's just one quick watch...do you want me to do more or other?

I'm editing my response and including a video of Fromm, who I like but I'm not saying we should get him, I just want to juxtapose a few things so you can see what I look at.  

Watch Fromm climb in the pocket.  You never see him throw off his back foot, almost always moving forward.  This is not only a technique but a mentality (nobody was better than Andrew at this).

Notice how his lower half is in sync with his upper body.

Notice how many contested throws he makes/completes.

His highlight tape isn't full of bombs to wide open guys.

He's playing vs tier 1 talent.

He takes snaps under center.

He works the play action game well but has work to do on ball fakes.

He makes all the throws and has a good not great arm which means he's very accurate and throws with anticipation.  He doesn't rely on arm strength which I like.

Didn't have the best statistical year, I know.

Lead his team to top 5 every year.

Plays in SEC.

Plays well in big games, typically.

GREAT leader.

This is what I look for in a QB, I think Fromm is NFL ready but I don't think he's better than what we have on the roster at the moment.  I'm just wanted to show you how I think about QB's if you find that helpful.  Cool to disagree.

From what i have read and Quotes from Love he had the ability to change plays at the line. They used a lot of RPO. Which Reich likes to use. I want a playmaker not a game manager.

I picked that game on purpose because everyone kept saying all his highlight videos only had deep passes. That one had a lot more variety. 

The reason people don’t like Fromm is he doesn’t seem to have a high ceiling. Now all we can do is speculate. That won’t be known until he starts in the NFL. His downfield accuracy seems to be a question mark.

Neither Herbert or LOve have taken snaps under center. They seemed to handle it fine in the SB.

On 1/25/2020 at 7:59 AM, Smonroe said:

I think you’re going to be correct.  As much as we want the next franchise QB, Ballard is going to take the BPA on HIS draft board.  

And I suspect he has at least one DT rated higher than the 3rd or 4th QB that will be available at 13. (Burrow and Tua will be gone)

Either Derrick Brown or Javon Kinlaw would look great in Indy! Would make our DL so much better with getting after the QB and stopping the run. 

• Like 1