Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taking a QB?

Regardless of what any fan may think, I feel pretty strongly that should the Colts stay put with their first pick, they will not select a QB. Of course I can be totally wrong, but here is why I feel this way. 

After reading every big board I could find, it appears that 2 or 3 QBs appear in the top 10 or so....and then near the bottom of the first round or top of the second. 

https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-Draft-Big-Board/Top-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2020-Page-1.asp

https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2868550-2020-nfl-draft-big-board-matt-millers-latest-rankings#slide0

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftbigboard

Of course, Ballards board is his own, but unless a QB falls that is truly worthy (regardless of what fans may think is worthy), Ballard will likely continue to build the team with the best player available. The Colts staff may have Justin H in the top ten, or they may have him at 23. I mean, everyone just knows that Joe B is to be selected by the Bengals, but Chase Young is likely THE best player in the draft. Thoughts?

That's taking a gamble waiting for the QB you want, when that is the most important position on the team....I still say select the QB early that you've studied, scouted and make him the franchise player for the team that you can build around.  We have two early picks in the second round and so on to be able to select a quality or BPA in the draft....Don't hesitate to take the QB in the first if he's available....

Ballard selected Darius in the 30s when almost every board out there had him ranked in round 3-4. He doesn't care what other people think. He has his own opinions on players. And this is the only way to go. He will get some of them right and will get others wrong, but if he doesn't believe in his own board and evaluations he probably shouldn't be a GM of an NFL team. 

To me the only question is whether he loves on of the QBs that is reachable or not. If he loves one of them, IMO he will either get him where we are in the draft or try to trade up to get him. If he doesn't love any of them I expect him to just beef up the roster for Jacoby this coming year and for the next guy if he loves someone from next year's draft. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Ballard selected Darius in the 30s when almost every board out there had him ranked in round 3-4.

That did seemPolian-esque, but I thought I read somewhere the Colts had intel another team loved him.  

5 hours ago, stitches said:

Ballard selected Darius in the 30s when almost every board out there had him ranked in round 3-4. He doesn't care what other people think. He has his own opinions on players. And this is the only way to go. He will get some of them right and will get others wrong, but if he doesn't believe in his own board and evaluations he probably shouldn't be a GM of an NFL team. 

To me the only question is whether he loves on of the QBs that is reachable or not. If he loves one of them, IMO he will either get him where we are in the draft or try to trade up to get him. If he doesn't love any of them I expect him to just beef up the roster for Jacoby this coming year and for the next guy if he loves someone from next year's draft. 

This is such a great point. The QB he falls in love with may  seem like a stretch to fans at 13. But Ballard might think they are worth the 13th pick.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is such a great point. The QB he falls in love with may  seem like a stretch to fans at 13. But Ballard might think they are worth the 13th pick.

Maybe, Ballard, scouts and the football evaluators are just a whole lot smarter than “armchair GM’s.”  

Proclaiming J. Love or whoever QB, is a reach in January is kinda ignorant. History has already proved that in past drafts, QBs get drafted higher, especially with a solid combine.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stitches said:

If I'm not mistaken Ballard has already made a comment that there are a couple of QBs they like in this years class.  So with that said I think Ballard will move up to get his guy if he happens to be one of the top QBs on the board.  Too much can go wrong on trying to wait for next year.  The same can be said for staying at 13 and hoping he falls.  He doesn't strike me as a GM who will take the chance on waiting a year to draft a QB and settling for JB for the upcoming year.  Looking at where we are picking and the extra picks we have this year all point to Ballard making a move up now versus waiting until next year.  JMO.