Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eason - 7:30 PM / ABC (Las Vegas Bowl)

If you're interested in checking out Eason, he's on tonight when Washington takes on Boise State.

Here's the cut from the ESPN article I posted yesterday.

Jacob Eason, Washington

Year: Fourth-year junior | Age: 22 | Career starts: 25
Height: 6-6 | Weight: 227

Bowl game: Mitsubishi Motors Las Vegas Bowl, Saturday (7:30 p.m. ET, ABC)

On natural physical ability alone, Eason is an elite quarterback prospect. He's big, strong and mobile, and he has a rocket arm. But he could still use a little more game experience.

Eason started his college career at Georgia, playing in 13 games for the Bulldogs back in 2016. But after just three passes in the 2017 opener, he was injured and turned the reins over to Jake Fromm. Fromm remained the starter for the rest of the season, leading Eason to transfer after the season and sit out the 2018 campaign as a result.

The son of a former Notre Dame receiver, Eason returned to his home state to play for the Huskies, starting the 2019 season with a four-touchdown performance in the opener. In fact, he recorded five games with at least three passing scores this season. Eason had an up-and-down season for the Huskies, however, leading McShay to call him the wild card of the 2020 class and suggest that he "would benefit from another full season of college reps."

2019 stats: 2,922 passing yards, 22 TDs, 8 INTs

Rankings: Kiper's QB4 | McShay's QB5 (No. 28)

Eason's strength: Arm strength
Eason's weakness: Flexibility and short-area agility

NFL evaluator on Eason: "He's an interesting one because he's got such limited tape. Hardly played at Georgia, then transferred and had to sit out. He's tall, athletic and has big-time arm talent. But with him there's a lot of inexperience, and it's hard to evaluate quarterbacks if you don't see them go through situations more than once. If he comes out, there will be a limited amount of tape to evaluate him. But you can feel the arm strength and the athleticism." -- NFL scout, as told to ESPN's Dan Graziano

What's next for Eason: All eyes turn to Jan. 20, the deadline for underclassmen to declare for the 2020 draft. Will Eason enter this year's class? Or will he tack on some more game experience with another season at Washington? Before he makes his decision, Eason faces Boise State and first-round edge-rush prospect Curtis Weaver in the Huskies' bowl game.

I think he looks pretty good.  Looks NFL caliber to me, but I can see where the pundits say he might need more experience and polish.  Probably not a QB teams would be trading up to get, but there are a lot of teams looking at Qbs, IMO.

My eyes see something not consistent though.  He's listed at 6.6 227 and Love is listed at 6.4 225.  I think Eason looks substantially bigger than Love.  Makes me wonder what Love will measure and weigh at the combine.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think he looks pretty good.  Looks NFL caliber to me, but I can see where the pundits say he might need more experience and polish.  Probably not a QB teams would be trading up to get, but there are a lot of teams looking at Qbs, IMO.

My eyes see something not consistent though.  He's listed at 6.6 227 and Love is listed at 6.4 225.  I think Eason looks substantially bigger than Love.  Makes me wonder what Love will measure and weigh at the combine.

I think Love looks all of 6'4" and 224#.

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He doesn’t move well enough out of the pocket. I think that’s why I would give love the edge. I like how Love can make something out of nothing when the play breaks down. Sounds like Eason is going to go back to school.

What are you reading that's saying he will stay??  

Everything I've seen suggests he's more likely t declare. Next year he'd be in a tougher class of QBs with Lawrence, Daniels, and Fields. His best receiver is a TE... Pretty lackluster group of pass catchers. WA did sign a 5 star WR in next year's class, but doubt that's enough to make him stay.

15 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Eason has looked pretty darn good. Either him or  Love appears to be a large upgrade as far as accuracy, touch and ability to go through progressions. Love appears to have more mobility but Eason is no slouch.

I didn't watch tonight's game as close as Love's game, but he did look pretty good in what I saw. WA has recruited pretty good at most positions accept WR and TE the last 4 years, so I think he's done pretty well with 2 and 3 star talent in a decent conference. Not a flashy guy and will never be a big runner, but big, big arm, above average accuracy, and makes good decisions when not trying to come from behind.

He's had some stinkers this year, but looked very good vs Oregon, and also pretty good against Utah (the two best teams in the league).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

What are you reading that's saying he will stay??  

Everything I've seen suggests he's more likely t declare. Next year he'd be in a tougher class of QBs with Lawrence, Daniels, and Fields. His best receiver is a TE... Pretty lackluster group of pass catchers. WA did sign a 5 star WR in next year's class, but doubt that's enough to make him stay.

They actually just mentioned on the broadcast that he loves the new coach of WA and it’s going to weigh heavily on if he stays. The consensus I am seeing is he needs another year. 

Interesting they mentioned the top 5 QB in the draft and they have no Love. It’s Fromm and Eason in in there. Going to be fun to watch if Love raises is draft stock.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

They actually just mentioned on the broadcast that he loves the new coach of WA and it’s going to weigh heavily on if he stays. The consensus I am seeing is he needs another year. 

Interesting they mentioned the top 5 QB in the draft and they have no Love. It’s Fromm and Eason in in there. Going to be fun to watch if Love raises is draft stock.

You should probably take some time and read more reviews. Most think he'll leave, and be the 4th or 5th QB taken. 

Fromm isn't going before Eason. I'd bet he's the 7th QB taken. Maybe 6th, but I think Newman will pass him after the combine. Hurts might too.

IMO, it's going to be 

Burrow

Tua OR Herbert

Love OR Eason

Newman

Hurts OR Fromm

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Eason just said after the game he has not made a decision. If he gets a 1st round grade(tonight helped) I don't see him turning down millions and risk injury or poor season next year. If he were my son I know how I would advise him.

27 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You should probably take some time and read more reviews. Most think he'll leave, and be the 4th or 5th QB taken. 

Fromm isn't going before Eason. I'd bet he's the 7th QB taken. Maybe 6th, but I think Newman will pass him after the combine. Hurts might too.

IMO, it's going to be 

Burrow

Tua OR Herbert

Love OR Eason

Newman

Hurts OR Fromm

If it goes like that colts are going to have to trade up if they want a franchise guy.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

If it goes like that colts are going to have to trade up if they want a franchise guy.

Not necessarily. Currently there's only 3 teams in front of us (Cinci, Miami, LAC) that are most likely to take a QB, plus a few wild cards. It just depends on who Ballard likes, and if he likes someone going early, is he willing to trade up. And several sites have started talking like Miami may pass this year and go for Lawrence next year.

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Burrow

Tua OR Herbert

Love OR Eason

Newman

Hurts OR Fromm

I like this list but my opinion is as followed:

1st off we need to lose out. A loss this week and next probably gets us in the top 10. If we stay put at top 15 it will probably change a lot.

With our early-mid 1st, I would only want 1/3 QB's. Burrow, Tua and Herbert

To acheive this we may have to move up, unless we lose out. We could probably pull one of those guys then without moving up?

If not those 3 guys I would go BPA with our 1st pick and either move up from our pick or select QB with Washington pick.

I think the Dolphins could be options either way. Trade up to #3 or 1 of their late first rounders.  As reports suggest they will probably be trying to flip some of this years picks for more ammo next year to land Lawrence.

We could probably trade our #2 and 2021 #2 to move up to 1 of Miami's late first round selections. 

Just really hoping for 1 of those top 3 guys. If we have that top 10 pick hopefully Ballard will move up to get 1 of them if need be. As I'm sure teams will be trying to trade in front of us. Getting to #6 or #7 from 10 wouldn't be to hard. 

If not, BPA then possible move up from our 2nd, while retaining Washington's pick. 

Would be my ideal scenario, atleast at the moment.

10 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Eason just said after the game he has not made a decision. If he gets a 1st round grade(tonight helped) I don't see him turning down millions and risk injury or poor season next year. If he were my son I know how I would advise him.

Agreed.  Even a second round grade would be good enough for me...I'm not that greedy......

His coach announced a surprising decision to resign.  I would think a kid would not want to take the risk of not doing well under a new HC, but I think the existing DC is to take over so maybe very few things will change.

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yes.  I think that is becoming obvious.  CIN, MIA, LAC, TB, maybe even OAK will want new or Qbs for the future.  ATL and DET could be a surprise picker for a guy who could sit for a year (Eason, Love).  And with Ballard looking at Love and Irsay talking Qb, draft slot won't matter since any team who wants a Qb will know they need to trade up in front of us. 

I would also wager that the combine will raise the stock's of all of the Qbs.  Even Fromme is probably more accurate than he had to be in GA.  He had the receivers to throw a lot of 50/50 balls to, so accuracy may not have been his high priority as getting the ball out to his players quickly.

• Like 1

Does Eason play in a pro style offense? In fact, do all of these top QB’s like Love, Hebert, Hurt and Eason play in pro style offenses or are they always in spread sets and RPO types? I’d like to know the guy we target can play up under center and play it well enough to translate. Lamar Jackson and Mahomes are fine and dandy but like Vick and RGIII, is it long term sustainable?