Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2019 Colts@Saints Matchup: Stats/Injury/Line/Poll

EastStreet

2019 Colts@Saints Matchup: Stats/Injury/Line/Poll  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the outcome of the game.

• Colts by 21 or more
    • Colts by 14-20
    • Colts by 7-13
    • Colts by 1-6
    • Tie
    • Saints by 1-6
    • Saints by 7-13
    • Saints by 14-20
    • Saints by 21 or more
  2. 2. Who has more yards on the ground?

3. 3. How many times does JB get sacked?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/17/2019 at 01:00 AM

Stats farther below

I'll update injuries for both teams later in the week.

Line: NO -9.5

O/U: 46

Quick Summary - Saints O vs Colts D

Passing - Brees is #6 in QBR, and 9th in yards per game. Thomas is the #1 WR in the league in YPG. Kamara is the 4th best RB in YPG. Cook is a top 10 TE. Our pass D has been very soft in play calling and performance of late. Brees has the lowest time to throw in the NFL, and rarely gets sacked or tosses INTs. I'll be surprised if our 17th ranked sack D and 22nd ranked QB pressure D does much to challenge Brees unless Eberflus dials up something very different than what we've seen most of the year.

Rushing -  Murray and Kamara are a nice 1-2 punch, especially with Kamara's impact in the passing game. While I think we'll limit traditional running, I can see them having success on the edge.

Injury impact - Updated later in the week

Quick Summary - Saints D vs Colts O

Passing - Brissett is 21st in QBR and 28th in yards per game. While the Saints haven't been great vs the pass, they do have top 5 success in sacks and pressures. Brissett's bottom 5 time to throw will likely equate to trouble for us unless he can get the ball out quicker. I'd hope that Reich is scheming to help JB in this space. I can see early success in scripted plays going quick and short, but as the game progresses, JB could be in trouble. 

Rushing - Mack is the 7th best RB in YPG, but the Saints are top 5 in rush D. I think we do better than last week, but don't see a ton of success. Hoping we see more man blocking schemes / playing calling for the OL. I just don't see a zone rushing attack having a lot of success. Let the big uglies be road graders and let the RBs hit the hole quickly.

Injury Impact - Updated later in the week

The Bottom Line - Our Ds are very similar in yards allowed in both phases, except NO has a lot more success getting to the QB. Their DB play is mediocre at best though. Our Os are very different. They have a prolific QB, a #1 WR, and a RB that can do damage in both phases. Our O is very limited, and the passing game won't do much unless we can get the ball out quick. I can see a lot of sacks for JB and potentially turnovers if the the play calling is not spot on, or if JB doesn't execute quickly and accurately. Tough task going on the road vs a team in the hunt for a buy, or home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Prediction - Painful. NO 34 INDY 13

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Five Bolded Blue

Bottom Five Bolded Red

Injured Starters Bolded Green

Saints Offense

12th in total yards per game 

8th in passing yards per game 

16th in total rushing yards per game 

5th in total points per game 

19th in Red Zone Offense % (9th the last 3 games)

5th best in INTs thrown 

4th best in sacks taken 

1st in time to throw

Out - 

Questionable  - 

Banged up  - 

VS

Colts Defense

15th in total yards per game allowed 

22nd in passing yards allowed 

8th in rushing yards allowed 

16th in points per game allowed 

15th in Red Zone Defense % (19th last 3 games)

10th best in INTs 

17th best in sacks 

24th in blitz % (24.7%)

22nd in total QB pressure % (21.9%)

Out - 

Questionable  -

Banged up  - 

Saints Defense

13th in total yards per game allowed 

20th in passing yards allowed 

5th in rushing yards allowed 

17th in points per game allowed 

24th in Red Zone Defense % (26th last three games)

10th best in INTs 

4th best in sacks 

9th in blitz % (32.4)

5th in total QB pressure (26.5%)

Out - 

Questionable  - 

Banged up  - 

VS

Colts Offense

22nd in total yards per game 

25th in passing yards per game 

6th in total rushing yards per game 

17th in total points per game 

7th in Red Zone Offense % (12th last 3 games)

15th best in INTs thrown 

9th best in sacks taken 

28th best time to throw

Out -

Questionable  -

Banged up  - 

• Thanks 2

This could be a interesting game if TY comes back. Adding TY in there with Inman along with pascal and Johnson could really give us some fire power. Saints won’t be able to game plan for that because it’s not on tape. Could be a very fun game win or lose. For the first time all season Jacoby would have a lot of vertical threats.  We are also a team who has nothing to lose. Those kind of teams can be very dangerous.

Inman mentioned he has kept in touch with Reich also and told him he would end up back here. Seems Reich wanted him back. 

14 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This could be a interesting game if TY comes back. Adding TY in there with Inman along with pascal and Johnson could really give us some fire power. Saints won’t be able to game plan for that because it’s not on tape. Could be a very fun game win or lose. For the first time all season Jacoby would have a lot of vertical threats.  We are also a team who has nothing to lose. Those kind of teams can be very dangerous.

Inman mentioned he has kept in touch with Reich also and told him he would end up back here. Seems Reich wanted him back. 

I'd prefer to save TY for the last home game. We're not going to beat NO, so would prefer to not put him at risk if not 100%

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

Davenport not playing will make things much easier on JB. Rankins isn't a huge loss, but still a decent rotational player on the DL. 

Their LT and LG are also gimpy, but not sure who bad. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Davenport not playing will make things much easier on JB. Rankins isn't a huge loss, but still a decent rotational player on the DL. 

Their LT and LG are also gimpy, but not sure who bad. 

I'm hoping that our (profanity warning!).... run game.... will keep the ball out of Brees' hands, along with a turnover or two.

For all our woes we do seem to make games competitive.... I think we're capable of stealing this one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

I'm hoping that our (profanity warning!).... run game.... will keep the ball out of Brees' hands, along with a turnover or two.

For all our woes we do seem to make games competitive.... I think we're capable of stealing this one.

I'm not near as optimistic with this one lol... Their run D is good. JB will have to have a really good game to keep this one close. I don't see our D being very effective. Brees is just to quick with the passing game, and I think he'll eat up our soft zone if that's what we do again.

in addition to the DL and OL,

from ESPN.

And tight end Jared Cook's status is uncertain because of a concussion. When it comes to the defensive line, the Saints have better depth at DT than DE. It would also help if they could get starting linebackers A.J. Klein and Kiko Alonso back from injuries soon to help fortify the front seven. We should know more about everyone's status when the Saints hold their first practice of the week Thursday

Teams will start practicing today, so should have updates the next couple evenings.

On 12/11/2019 at 1:44 AM, EastStreet said:

Stats farther below

I'll update injuries for both teams later in the week.

Line: NO -9.5

O/U: 46

Quick Summary - Saints O vs Colts D

Passing - Brees is #6 in QBR, and 9th in yards per game. Thomas is the #1 WR in the league in YPG. Kamara is the 4th best RB in YPG. Cook is a top 10 TE. Our pass D has been very soft in play calling and performance of late. Brees has the lowest time to throw in the NFL, and rarely gets sacked or tosses INTs. I'll be surprised if our 17th ranked sack D and 22nd ranked QB pressure D does much to challenge Brees unless Eberflus dials up something very different than what we've seen most of the year.

Rushing -  Murray and Kamara are a nice 1-2 punch, especially with Kamara's impact in the passing game. While I think we'll limit traditional running, I can see them having success on the edge.

Injury impact - Updated later in the week

Quick Summary - Saints D vs Colts O

Passing - Brissett is 21st in QBR and 28th in yards per game. While the Saints haven't been great vs the pass, they do have top 5 success in sacks and pressures. Brissett's bottom 5 time to throw will likely equate to trouble for us unless he can get the ball out quicker. I'd hope that Reich is scheming to help JB in this space. I can see early success in scripted plays going quick and short, but as the game progresses, JB could be in trouble. 

Rushing - Mack is the 7th best RB in YPG, but the Saints are top 5 in rush D. I think we do better than last week, but don't see a ton of success. Hoping we see more man blocking schemes / playing calling for the OL. I just don't see a zone rushing attack having a lot of success. Let the big uglies be road graders and let the RBs hit the hole quickly.

Injury Impact - Updated later in the week

The Bottom Line - Our Ds are very similar in yards allowed in both phases, except NO has a lot more success getting to the QB. Their DB play is mediocre at best though. Our Os are very different. They have a prolific QB, a #1 WR, and a RB that can do damage in both phases. Our O is very limited, and the passing game won't do much unless we can get the ball out quick. I can see a lot of sacks for JB and potentially turnovers if the the play calling is not spot on, or if JB doesn't execute quickly and accurately. Tough task going on the road vs a team in the hunt for a buy, or home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Prediction - Painful. NO 34 INDY 13

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Five Bolded Blue

Bottom Five Bolded Red

Injured Starters Bolded Green

Saints Offense

12th in total yards per game 

8th in passing yards per game 

16th in total rushing yards per game 

5th in total points per game 

19th in Red Zone Offense % (9th the last 3 games)

5th best in INTs thrown 

4th best in sacks taken 

1st in time to throw

Out - 

Questionable  - 

Banged up  - 

VS

Colts Defense

15th in total yards per game allowed 

22nd in passing yards allowed 

8th in rushing yards allowed 

16th in points per game allowed 

15th in Red Zone Defense % (19th last 3 games)

10th best in INTs 

17th best in sacks 

24th in blitz % (24.7%)

22nd in total QB pressure % (21.9%)

Out - 

Questionable  -

Banged up  - 

Saints Defense

13th in total yards per game allowed 

20th in passing yards allowed 

5th in rushing yards allowed 

17th in points per game allowed 

24th in Red Zone Defense % (26th last three games)

10th best in INTs 

4th best in sacks 

9th in blitz % (32.4)

5th in total QB pressure (26.5%)

Out - 

Questionable  - 

Banged up  - 

VS

Colts Offense

22nd in total yards per game 

25th in passing yards per game 

6th in total rushing yards per game 

17th in total points per game 

7th in Red Zone Offense % (12th last 3 games)

15th best in INTs thrown 

9th best in sacks taken 

28th best time to throw

Out -

Questionable  -

Banged up  - 

great write up, very informative, enjoyed it. i dont agree with you a lot of times but this was a great post.

• Thanks 1

Starters in Bold Green

Notes:  The below is in addition to NO losing a starting DE (their best) and rotational DT for the season during last week's game.

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Kenny Moore II   Nickle Ankle    DNP

Pierre Desir    CB  Groin    LP

T.Y. Hilton  WR  Calf     LP

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

Andrus Peat   LG   Forearm    DNP

Terron Armstead   LT   Ankle   DNP

Cameron Jordan  LDE  Abdomen   DNP

Kiko Alonso   MLB   Quadricep   DNP

Vonn Bell    SS   Knee    DNP

Patrick Robinson   CB   Calf    DNP

A.J. Klein    SAM    Knee   LP

Jared Cook    TE   Concussion    LP

Will Clapp    C    Elbow    LP

Zach Line     FB     Knee    LP

The injury report is looking a bit scary for NO. Things would start to even out a bit if NO was down their starting LT and LG..... And they've already lost their RDE for the year, and their LDE DNP today. Also, 2 LBs look banged up, as well as their starting SS and TE.

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Kenny Moore II   Nickle Ankle    DNP

Pierre Desir    CB  Groin    LP

T.Y. Hilton  WR  Calf     LP

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

Andrus Peat   LG   Forearm    DNP

Terron Armstead   LT   Ankle   DNP

Cameron Jordan  LDE  Abdomen   DNP

Kiko Alonso   MLB   Quadricep   DNP

Vonn Bell    SS   Knee    DNP

Patrick Robinson   CB   Calf    DNP

A.J. Klein    SAM    Knee   LP

Jared Cook    TE   Concussion    LP

Will Clapp    C    Elbow    LP

Zach Line     FB     Knee    LP

Peat, Alonso, Bell, and Robinson DNP again.

Armstead and Jordan from DNP to LP

On 12/12/2019 at 6:01 AM, lollygagger8 said:

Next Tuesday Morning is going to suck worse than Monday Night. 

I have a feeling my liver is going to take a massive beating Monday Night.

This game isn't worth drinking or stressing over. Our odds of winning are realistically <10%. Just enjoy the rest of the season and root for some great individual performances. :thmup:

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This has the makings of the Kansas City game where everyone said there was 0% of us winning. The saints are banged up. For us missing Moore will hurt if he doesn’t play. This team hasn’t been blown out all year. I won’t be surprised if it is close. I could see us scoring some points. Especially if TY plays.

KC had a gimpy QB and 2 top WRs out. NO's skill players are all fine with the exception of Cook who looks to be improving.

NO put up 46 vs SF's D, and Brees put up 350 and 5TDs vs SF #1 pass D... If we play a soft zone again, he'll eat that up with quick passes.

I guess it's possible if Brees stumps his toe or something, but Bridgewater isn't awful either. Regardless, we'd need a lot of things to go our way. Surprised the line is only -9

Moore is out

Desir and Hilton are Questionable. 

For NO,

Out

Alonso (starting OLB)

Peat (starting LG)

Bell (starting SS)

Robinson (depth RCB)

Bademosi (depth LCB)

Limited in last practice

Armstead (starting LT)

Jordan (starting LDE)

Clap (Depth C)

Klein (starting SLB)

Line (primary FB)

With Peat out, and Armstead not 100%, perhaps we can get a little pass rush. 

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Do the colts usually let injured players go on road trips. Kenny made the trip. I know they ruled him out but most of the time guys ruled out don’t make road trips.

Might have something to do with it being a short week ahead, and the trainers traveling. Perhaps Kenny is getting treatment today-Tuesday and our medical staff is in NO.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

For a guy that was rated the 91st of 91 safeties in 2016, 60ish in 2017, and "retired" last year due to lack of desire, he sure does talk a lot.... Not even a given he'll play a lot tomorrow.

He just needed more time to “develop.”

I see a T. Jennings comeback!

cary elwes laughing GIF

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He sucked when he was here, just keeping that real. Eye test showed me that.

wonder if he's irritated with Seattle too, who also waived him... lol.

18 minutes ago, MPStack said:

He just needed more time to “develop.”

I see a T. Jennings comeback!

Sounds like he needed a year off to work on his desire anyway lol

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Mack needs 100 yards for 1k yards. With Jacoby taking more chances deep I hope Hilton finally gets a big play. I just want a good game that goes to the end. I don’t want it to be over the first quarter.

It'll be tough for Mack to get that vs the Saints, but it would be awesome if he did.

I don't see them sending TY vertical a bunch. I think Johnson is the most likely deep target.

I expect Doyle to have the most yards tonight.