Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cowboys extend Jaylon Smith

Superman

Five years, $64m, $35.5m guaranteed (initial reports). 

At $12.8m/year, he would be the fifth highest paid off-ball LB in the NFL. Still well behind Bobby Wagner and CJ Mosley (at $18m/year and $17m/year, respectively). Once the details come out, this will probably look like a six year, $66m contract, overall. 

He has just three years service, and couldn't even play in Year 1. The Cowboys also paid La'el Collins after just two years, which is what he wanted once he dropped out of the first round. It's an interesting dynamic with the Cowboys. They'll play hardball, but they'll also pay players several years early when they think it makes sense.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I wonder what Zeke is going to think about this.  Another guy they are paying early but Zeke is still waiting.  More drama.

I'm sure Zeke will react badly to it, but I'm not sure he would be justified in doing so As @Supermancorrectly points out, Smith missed a year, only has one year of solid production as well as not being the "star" of their defense. However he's also not reset the market and becoming the 5th best paid at this position seems about right, a good deal for the Cowboys and a sensible one for the player IMO. 

All reports indicate that Zeke has been offered around #2 RB money, and talent wise I'd say that's again about right. However knowing he's the key cog of that O, perhaps more than Dak, he's trying to use his leverage for maximum moo. Not sure I blame him, but he can't get annoyed at Smith getting paid when they've put a similar deal (in terms of relative value IMO) on the table. 

15 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I wonder what Zeke is going to think about this.  Another guy they are paying early but Zeke is still waiting.  More drama.

Smith is getting 60-70% of what Bobby Wagner got. If Zeke was willing to take 60-70% of what Gurley got, he'd have a new contract already.