Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mo Alie-Cox - ESPN's offseason standout

EastStreet

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26943229/the-surprise-offseason-standout-all-32-teams

Not that there's a lot guys do, or can do during the offseason before training camp, but it's nice to hear him getting mentioned. He's come a long way in two years given he didn't play football in college at all.

The former college basketball player at VCU has taken advantage of Eric Ebron and Jack Doyle, the team's top two tight ends, being out or limited this offseason while rehabbing injuries. Alie-Cox, who arguably had the catch of the year at Oakland last season, has made himself the front-runner as the team's third tight end next season. He had seven receptions for 133 yards and two touchdowns in 2018. "I really think he is really starting to develop as a route runner," coach Frank Reich said. "I mean we know he has got good hands, but last year I thought he struggled a little bit in his route running and he was just very average. I have already seen ... some really key indicators to me. I mean, very tangible indicators that he can develop into a very good route runner as well. He is so long and big and they don't want to tackle him." -- Mike Wells

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I was surprised that his blocking abilities were actually pretty darn good last year. If he adds more polished route running he will be a very valuable 3 down asset. I was upset that we didnt keep Hewitt, who I thought was an unsung hero last year but if Mo and Doyle can both be that complete tight end to compliment Ebron, that will be huge. Then perhaps Hale Hydra (or whatever the kid from Alabama's name is) can develop on the PS into that Hewitt h-back role.

2 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I was surprised that his blocking abilities were actually pretty darn good last year. If he adds more polished route running he will be a very valuable 3 down asset. I was upset that we didnt keep Hewitt, who I thought was an unsung hero last year but if Mo and Doyle can both be that complete tight end to compliment Ebron, that will be huge. Then perhaps Hale Hydra (or whatever the kid from Alabama's name is) can develop on the PS into that Hewitt h-back role.

That's hilarious!  He is basically another Olineman.  I'm pretty sure we'll keep 4 TE's, but I think Travis could be the last guy if he can stay healthy.

M A-C and Doyle are both good blockers.  Ebron, not so much.

i remember a few of his highlights. you can tell he played Basketball. 

if he's improved on the route running, could be a very nice season for him.

with all the added weapons, and TE-lite Funchess, I think we might end up keeping only 3 with one more on the PS. that is, assuming everyone is healthy.

35 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

i remember a few of his highlights. you can tell he played Basketball. 

if he's improved on the route running, could be a very nice season for him.

with all the added weapons, and TE-lite Funchess, I think we might end up keeping only 3 with one more on the PS. that is, assuming everyone is healthy.

You have a good point with having Funchess. I can’t wait to see if he brings something different then Ebron. 

I wish it was football season already. Lol

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

You have a good point with having Funchess. I can’t wait to see if he brings something different then Ebron. 

I wish it was football season already. Lol

you and me both.

the period between basketball and football sucks (base) balls.

the only thing i'm enjoying now is the women's WC.

i'm still leaning towards thinking we'll keep 6 WRs this season given all the puts and takes. DF it TE-lite, Cain coming back from injury, PC a rook, TY coming off being banged up, Fountain improving, Roger's reliability and cross training..... and sheet might happen like Cain being pup'd and I think Fountain can spend another year on the PS.

I was wondering about his 40 time. Says here it was 4.75 which is not blazing but considering he was 6’5-1/2” and 262 lbs at the time, it’s respectable.

He may not be able to run away from some defenders but he can certainly box them out.

It also said a few teams were interested in him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/virginia-commonwealth-university/alie-cox-wows-nfl-scouts-will-visit-several-teams-in/article_8e0b8492-ce06-555f-85df-2232443fe8c5.amp.html

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I was wondering about his 40 time. Says here it was 4.75 which is not blazing but considering he was 6’5-1/2” and 262 lbs at the time, it’s respectable.

He may not be able to run away from some defenders but he can certainly box them out.

It also said a few teams were interested in him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/virginia-commonwealth-university/alie-cox-wows-nfl-scouts-will-visit-several-teams-in/article_8e0b8492-ce06-555f-85df-2232443fe8c5.amp.html

i remember that. his measurements would have put him 6th at the combine among TEs. 

and it's worth mentioning he's never ran/trained on the 40 as he did not play FB in college.

i'd bet if you lined Ebron, Doyle, and Cox up and asked them to run, Cox would fair just fine right now.