Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Early 2020 draft predictions

So the past 2 years really ballard has traded back gathering picks to build this team. I believe we are at the end of our rebuild mode and are now at contending mode. I think the chances of us being back in the top 15 pick range in the next 3-5 years is pretty slim, first I must give huge kudos to ballard turning around this team so quickly. Saying all of that I would put money down on either this year or next year trading up in the first to grab a player. Roster is getting very tight with competition now, and man does it feel weird finally saying that, that it will likely be more impactful for the team to get a highly touted prospect versus 2 lower end prospects. I dont mind trading the same year picks but i dont like trading future pick. I understand this goes against everything Ballard has done to this point but I am pretty confident in this line of thinking

11 minutes ago, twfish said:

So the past 2 years really ballard has traded back gathering picks to build this team. I believe we are at the end of our rebuild mode and are now at contending mode. I think the chances of us being back in the top 15 pick range in the next 3-5 years is pretty slim, first I must give huge kudos to ballard turning around this team so quickly. Saying all of that I would put money down on either this year or next year trading up in the first to grab a player. Roster is getting very tight with competition now, and man does it feel weird finally saying that, that it will likely be more impactful for the team to get a highly touted prospect versus 2 lower end prospects. I dont mind trading the same year picks but i dont like trading future pick. I understand this goes against everything Ballard has done to this point but I am pretty confident in this line of thinking

Blatant holes are holes in talent. The not so obvious holes, which will be lack of quality depth, will always exist for pretty much every team. If you have a draft like the current one and it is lacking in top end depth, you will still see accumulation of picks for the future and trading back, ala New England style. Just because NE contends every year doesn't mean they cash in on the picks they gather every year. They gather picks over 3-4 years and cash in during a single year with a good trade up. I don't think we have cashed in enough picks to make that "quality trade up" move yet, IMO. It has to be the right draft class and the right draft pick at the right draft price.

• Like 4

On 6/14/2019 at 11:37 AM, twfish said:

For what it’s worth....  in one of his many post draft interviews, Ballard was asked if he considered trading up this year.

Ballard not only said “no”, but he added that while he’d never rule it out, he’s not really much of a trade up in the first round type of guy.   Just too expensive for his comfort level. 

So while it might happen in any given year, I wouldn’t expect it.  More times than not you’ll be disappointed. 

Sorry to disappoint... 

Glad for the tradebacks.

End of round 1 is always no man's land, and picks in that part of the draft have really faired not significantly better than round 2 and early round 3.

Multiple 2nd rounders (like the trade this year with Washington) for a late 1st is always a plus.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 1:33 PM, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth....  in one of his many post draft interviews, Ballard was asked if he considered trading up this year.

Ballard not only said “no”, but he added that while he’d never rule it out, he’s not really much of a trade up in the first round type of guy.   Just too expensive for his comfort level. 

So while it might happen in any given year, I wouldn’t expect it.  More times than not you’ll be disappointed. 

Sorry to disappoint... 

Yeah, Ballard said he's a patient guy, and he doesn't mind waiting to pick. We almost traded back from 34 as well if Rock wasn't there. I personally love the "trade back" strategy at the end of round 1, and wouldn't mind doing it in most every draft. A late 1st for a mid-second and early/mid second (from the Redskins) over two drafts is fine with me!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

At some point, those extra draft picks become more of a liability than an asset. It's great to have ten+ picks when your roster is thin, but where would you put another ten guys, or even just seven or eight, if you had to add them to the Colts' roster right now? Who do you move down (or off) the depth chart to make room for another 2nd or 3rd round pick? I know what Ballard has been saying all along, but if there is an opportunity for him to package some of those 2020 picks to move up for a stud difference maker, I would be happy to see him do it.  

41 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

At some point, those extra draft picks become more of a liability than an asset. It's great to have ten+ picks when your roster is thin, but where would you put another ten guys, or even just seven or eight, if you had to add them to the Colts' roster right now? Who do you move down (or off) the depth chart to make room for another 2nd or 3rd round pick? I know what Ballard has been saying all along, but if there is an opportunity for him to package some of those 2020 picks to move up for a stud difference maker, I would be happy to see him do it.  

I would love to trade next year's 7th rounder for a 2026 1st rounder. As the rule goes, one round early in next year's draft for any pick. haha

4 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

At NO POINT do those extra draft picks become MORE OF A LIABILITY than an asset.    Never.

Because as you, yourself noted,  with those extra picks,  we can either package them to target a player and move up to get him,  or trade extra picks from this year to get extra picks for another year.

More picks are ALWAYS a good thing.    Always.     The question becomes,  what do we do with them?    But having them is always a benefit.   

• Like 3

• 1 month later...