Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drafting Campbell, and Deon Cain

indyagent17

I really like that Ballard took Campbell in the second round and it was a real surprise to me. So many receivers came to mind to me as our first WR choice. I really bought into the competition aspect for this team. Cain is a wildcard he could be Good, Average or Bad but what this tells him and other receivers on the team you better bring it to training camp. We have all seen many posts about how good Cain will be and I am glad Ballard is not resting his hopes on one player but as a unit! Grant was ok but not what we could have hoped. It really makes me wonder what 5 or 6 receivers will be on this team as the season starts. We are REALLY fortunate to have a man so dedicated and brilliant as Ballard. He is a visionary and that really speaks volumes about the future of this team. So who are you top 6 receivers on this team right now!

58 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I really like that Ballard took Campbell in the second round and it was a real surprise to me. So many receivers came to mind to me as our first WR choice. I really bought into the competition aspect for this team. Cain is a wildcard he could be Good, Average or Bad but what this tells him and other receivers on the team you better bring it to training camp. We have all seen many posts about how good Cain will be and I am glad Ballard is not resting his hopes on one player but as a unit! Grant was ok but not what we could have hoped. It really makes me wonder what 5 or 6 receivers will be on this team as the season starts. We are REALLY fortunate to have a man so dedicated and brilliant as Ballard. He is a visionary and that really speaks volumes about the future of this team. So who are you top 6 receivers on this team right now!

1) TY

2) Funchess

3) Campbell

After that, I think it's a toss-up.  Rogers has proven to be dependable, but nothing spectacular.  Cain looked very good last year, but we don't know how he's going to bounce back from a knee injury.  Pascal has value as a return-man, but needs to improve as a WR.  Fountain and Ishmael are both very raw (at least were last year), but very talented and have potential.  Marcus Johnson I thought looked good before he got hurt.

If I had to guess 4-6 now, I'd say (4) Cain, (5) Fountain, (6) Pascal..... but I don't think we can really predict until we see these guys live in pre-season to determine how much they've developed, if they are fully healthy, etc.

I imagine we could stash Ishmael on the PS again, and maybe the same with Johnson and the UDFA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

T.Y.

Funchess

Campbell

Cain

Fountain - too athletic to not break thru this year. That stop and go against KC was a thing of beauty all the way up to it bouncing off his hands.

Hart - if we are to have a smaller, shifty slot man I'd rather it be Hart who seems to actually get himself open versus Rogers being schemed open.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

T.Y.

Funchess

Campbell

Cain

Fountain - too athletic to not break thru this year. That stop and go against KC was a thing of beauty all the way up to it bouncing off his hands.

Hart - if we are to have a smaller, shifty slot man I'd rather it be Hart who seems to actually get himself open versus Rogers being schemed open.

I think Hart's main value (for now, anyway) is potential as a return man.  

I think the last player or 2 at several positions (DB, LB, WR, maybe RB) will largely come down to ability to contribute on special teams.  

It has been a very long time since the Colts have had a very dynamic return man.  It's harder and harder to return kickoffs in the NFL due to rule changes, but it'd be really nice if one of the WRs or DBs (more likely a WR) could emerge as a real threat to take it to the house on punt return duty.  It seems like Campbell and Hart may be the most naturally dangerous return guys on our current roster (assuming Campbell signs his rookie contract).

• Like 1

I numbered them from who I think is best to worst. I don’t think Rogers is good enough to start, but I think he’s too good to sit as #5 on the bench so I predict they will try to trade him for a 6th or 7th round pick. Fountain will get 1 more season on the practice squad and called up in case of injury. Ishmael and Hart will also find themselves on the practice squad, while Hogan is waived. leaving us with Hilton/Funchess/Campbell/Cain/Pascal/Johnson

1 Hilton 

2 Funchess 

3 Campbell 

4 Cain 

5 Rogers.             Trade

6 Pascal 

7 Johnson 

8 Fountain          Ps

9 Hart                  Ps

10 Hogan.           Waive

11 Ishmael.        Ps