Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts continue to explore running back options

On 4/12/2019 at 11:50 AM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Jacobs isn't gonna make it out of the 1st, I see very little chance he makes it past the Raiders and Eagles before us at 26, so not really sure why the interest? I'm assuming it's if he were to somehow slip to 34, but even then I find it hard to believe they take a RB. If they do take him, they obviously saw something transcendent, and I'd have to support the pick, because they're obviously proficient in terms of identifying talent, if last year is any indicator. 

I like Jacobs for us in this draft. The other guy i like is Alexander Mattison from Boise State. Neither one do i want in Rd#1. But those are my two for Macks back up.

If Jacobs goes in Rd 1 i will eat my hat and i dont even wear hats! I think he will get picked somewhere around where Derrick Henry, TJ Yeldon, Alvin Kamara got picked. All of whom were way more productive players than Jacobs. This is why Ballard said the Mocks were way off this year and precisely why you see them showing him heavy interest. They know he aint going in RD 1 either.

Jacobs is a stable RB. I don’t think he’s going in the 1st either. I think the Colts look at him in the 2nd, and it’s probably pick 59 at that. Reich said he wanted a top 5 rushing attack. You’re not getting that with Mack, Wilkins, and Hines. Now Mack and Jacobs with our O-line? It’s far more feasible. Mack and Jacobs would basically be Ingram and Kamara. Plus if Mack gets injured, Jacobs could step in.

8 hours ago, krunk said:

If Jacobs goes in Rd 1 i will eat my hat and i dont even wear hats! I think he will get picked somewhere around where Derrick Henry, TJ Yeldon, Alvin Kamara got picked. All of whom were way more productive players than Jacobs. This is why Ballard said the Mocks were way off this year and precisely why you see them showing him heavy interest. They know he aint going in RD 1 either.

I have watched Jacobs tape and I believe he is a much better back then the other Alabama backs u mentioned. He had a lot less production but that for me that equates to less wear and tear.  They seem to like Mack but his injury history scares me.  I actually think if given the chance, Wilkins is a better back.  I love his vision

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Jacobs is a stable RB. I don’t think he’s going in the 1st either. I think the Colts look at him in the 2nd, and it’s probably pick 59 at that. Reich said he wanted a top 5 rushing attack. You’re not getting that with Mack, Wilkins, and Hines. Now Mack and Jacobs with our O-line? It’s far more feasible. Mack and Jacobs would basically be Ingram and Kamara. Plus if Mack gets injured, Jacobs could step in.

I can't rule out the Colts wont have a top 5 running game with Mack at all. With another year under their belts this offensive line can put a running back in the top 5. Once Mack got on the field his numbers were similar to those running backs in the top 5.

I think too many are devaluing Mack's abilities.

• Like 1

I think Wilkins needs more time sharing carries.  I just don’t think they are sure he can carry the load of Mack gets hurt. Hines isn’t the type of player to carry  the load. He is going to be used more in the pass game I think. He is like Darren  I think they need a FA RB for what they are looking for. Or maybe a fullback in the draft.

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I have watched Jacobs tape and I believe he is a much better back then the other Alabama backs u mentioned. He had a lot less production but that for me that equates to less wear and tear.  They seem to like Mack but his injury history scares me.  I actually think if given the chance, Wilkins is a better back.  I love his vision

I think if he was better then he wouldnt have consistently played behind two backs who will be drafted lower than him. I do believe hes a pretty good back but theres nothing there to justify a 1st rd pick other than hey hes got some good traits. When you are good at Bama they usually make sure you get plenty of time with the football. That didnt happen with him. If hes better than Yeldon and Derrick Henry what are u going to use to prove it? Definitely not production. Heck even Bo Scarborough managed to carve out a better career and they havent given him the time of day in the pros.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I think if he was better then he wouldnt have consistently played behind two backs who will be drafted lower than him. I do believe hes a pretty good back but theres nothing there to justify a 1st rd pick other than hey hes got some good traits. When you are good at Bama they usually make sure you get plenty of time with the football. That didnt happen with him. If hes better than Yeldon and Derrick Henry what are u going to use to prove it? Definitely not production. Heck even Bo Scarborough managed to carve out a better career and they havent given him the time of day in the pros.

Remember that Alabama has a lot of top level recruits each year so sometimes guys get buried on the depth chart. Najee Harris was a 5 star recruit and top RB in his class. They’re loaded at the position. Even Deionte Thompson got red-shirted as a freshman.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

The same can b said for Quinton Williams.  First year starter and people r asking why it took him so long.  Also a lot of scouts r saying Williams is the best player in the draft.  Chris Simms says he is the best DT he has scouted on tape. Williams basically started one year.  Mayb Jacobs didn't fit what Alabama was doing.  I watched tape on Jacobs and I come away impressed. That being said I don't want him picked unless it is with out 2nd  2ndround pick.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

RB is not  going to happen , I'm telling you in the early draft if at all. 

I do agree with this.

I highly doubt a RB will be taken at all in this draft.

In all honesty I don't see a RB better than Mack in this draft.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

I do agree with this.

In all honesty I don't see a RB and better than Mack in this draft.

I think they have a good stable as of now, But I would also like to see someone Via FA or draft latter, walk on ect.. to be a power back in short yardage situiations

1 minute ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I think they have a good stable as of now, But I would also like to see someone Via FA or draft latter, walk on ect.. to be a power back in short yardage situiations

Yeah, after the draft there will be a lot of player who will be brought in to fill the 90 man roster. I am sure Ballard will find that diamond somewhere. (well maybe not a diamond but a couple of rubies or emeralds)

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Remember that Alabama has a lot of top level recruits each year so sometimes guys get buried on the depth chart. Najee Harris was a 5 star recruit and top RB in his class. They’re loaded at the position. Even Deionte Thompson got red-shirted as a freshman.

Are any of those guys he was playing behind in your estimation going to be drafted before him? Im sure youre going to say no. This is over what 3 years of play and he couldnt convince Saban that he was the lead horse? At some point if you got 1st round talent like that i think you ought to be able to break through enough to command more carries and amass better than one 600 yard season. Lesser backs at that school have been able to do that. And dont get me wrong because i like him. I think hes a pretty good back. Im just saying when do Running Backs go in Rd 1 who are career backups and have very little production? Give me a name.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I do agree with this.

In all honesty I don't see a RB better than Mack in this draft.

It's not really Mack's talent that people r questioning its his ability to play 16 games. Myself,  I am not sure if he can

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The same can b said for Quinton Williams.  First year starter and people r asking why it took him so long.  Also a lot of scouts r saying Williams is the best player in the draft.  Chris Simms says he is the best DT he has scouted on tape. Williams basically started one year.  Mayb Jacobs didn't fit what Alabama was doing.  I watched tape on Jacobs and I come away impressed. That being said I don't want him picked unless it is with out 2nd  2ndround pick.

It can be different for DL and DE. Its more common for a team to draft those positions on traits more than actual production. For RB theres already a stigma out there that u dont take them in RD 1. I dont totally agree with it, but i dont see the point in doing so if the guy really has no production ever to be honest. I dont see how you justify the pick for that stage of the draft. Especially if you are a team that uses 3 to 4 backs every game like the Colts do. Id like to have Jacobs on our team because i do see a solid Football player. I just think theres not much there that justifies him being a RD 1 pick.

13 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think Jacobs is a three down back and would quickly be our starter.  I really think Jacobs is long gone by 59 though.  If they don't draft Jacobs and decide Mack is their starter then I could see Harris at 59 to be the big back to compliment Mack.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If healthy u maybe right. That's the knock and in my opinion a big knock on Mack

How long has Mack been on the team? Its not like hes been here long. He played 12 games his first year and 14(2 playoff games) his 2nd year which i dont think is that bad. Sometimes you get nicked up. But when he came back he finished the season from the Bills game on in to the playoffs. Hes gotten stronger and knows more about playing on this level so hopefully 2019 is even better. My point really was in response to Pallos post. Jacobs would not just waltz in here and send Mack to being his backup. Not even close!

I won't pretend I know much about this guy but judging from his build and apparent speed from his combine, he seems like he is what we are looking for (a bulldozer). Ryquell Armstead

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ryquell-armstead?id=32194152-4d08-7415-19ec-70f8e3f1c566

Looks like he would be available in the later rounds and could perhaps be a good goal line/short yardage RB.

9 hours ago, krunk said:

Are any of those guys he was playing behind in your estimation going to be drafted before him? Im sure youre going to say no. This is over what 3 years of play and he couldnt convince Saban that he was the lead horse? At some point if you got 1st round talent like that i think you ought to be able to break through enough to command more carries and amass better than one 600 yard season. Lesser backs at that school have been able to do that. And dont get me wrong because i like him. I think hes a pretty good back. Im just saying when do Running Backs go in Rd 1 who are career backups and have very little production? Give me a name.

Well his freshman year he was playing behind Derrick Henry. Then after that Bo Scarborough and Najee. Najee will go higher than him when he comes out. Trust me I’m just as hesitant towards Bama RBs as you are, but Jacobs may be a diamond I’m the rough.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, krunk said:

How long has Mack been on the team? Its not like hes been here long. He played 12 games his first year and 14(2 playoff games) his 2nd year which i dont think is that bad. Sometimes you get nicked up. But when he came back he finished the season from the Bills game on in to the playoffs. Hes gotten stronger and knows more about playing on this level so hopefully 2019 is even better. My point really was in response to Pallos post. Jacobs would not just waltz in here and send Mack to being his backup. Not even close!

I don't think Mack would become the backup right away unless Jacobs had a fantastic preseason.  I don't think a player like Jacobs who is rated a top 10 or 15 player would sit for too long.  Mack gets the benefit of the doubt for sure.  But I think the first time he misses a game he won't get it back or three or four games into the season whichever comes first.  It doesn't really matter.  We won't have a chance to draft him.  

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don't think Mack would become the backup right away unless Jacobs had a fantastic preseason.  I don't think a player like Jacobs who is rated a top 10 or 15 player would sit for too long.  Mack gets the benefit of the doubt for sure.  But I think the first time he misses a game he won't get it back or three or four games into the season whichever comes first.  It doesn't really matter.  We won't have a chance to draft him.  

What makes you think that a RB is going to be drafted before rd 6 or 7?

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:25 AM, stitches said:

RB2 or RB3 I think. IMO he goes sometime in R2. 

What's the difference between Mike Weber and Miles Sanders? Their measurables are nearly exact and they each look like a clone of each other on tape. I think the internet scouts are knocking Weber for losing reps to J.K. Dobbins, who is a stud in his right. I think Sanders is mid third round at best.

11 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

What's the difference between Mike Weber and Miles Sanders? Their measurables are nearly exact and they each look like a clone of each other on tape. I think the internet scouts are knocking Weber for losing reps to J.K. Dobbins, who is a stud in his right. I think Sanders is mid third round at best.

To me Sanders looks much more explosive off his cuts and has much better feet on his cuts. He seems both more elusive and more powerful. Weber looks very ordinary to me, while I think Sanders has the traits to be a 3 downs back.  Just my opinion of course. 

On 4/14/2019 at 11:12 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

It's not really Mack's talent that people r questioning its his ability to play 16 games. Myself,  I am not sure if he can

And i don't expect him to as few #1"s play 16. It is the nature of the position.

Can he average 18 carries a game for 14-15 games plus the playoff? 

Of course he Could.