Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Raiders sign Ryan Grant

46 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I read he signed for 2.5M for 1 year. 

Another reason I wasn't big on the 5M 1 year we signed him to last year.

His value was one thing last year.     We got him after Baltimore bailed on a deal for 4/30.

His value is something different this year.    Not sure what the problem is?

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

His value was one thing last year.     We got him after Baltimore bailed on a deal for 4/30.

His value is something different this year.    Not sure what the problem is?

Baltimore bailed because he flunked a physical, and they had concerns about his ankle and toe IIRC. We ignored those flags and ended up with a guy who missed games early, mid, and late season because of his ankle, and toe...

Injury aside, he wasn't anything to get excited about in the first place IMO. His separation is subpar and his production, even among a mediocre crowd of WRs in Washington was less than mediocre. 

So.... wasn't a fan of his value back then. Still not. It's not a problem. It's an opinion, which turned out to be correct.

2 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Baltimore bailed because he flunked a physical, and they had concerns about his ankle and toe IIRC. We ignored those flags and ended up with a guy who missed games early, mid, and late season because of his ankle, and toe...

Injury aside, he wasn't anything to get excited about in the first place IMO. His separation is subpar and his production, even among a mediocre crowd of WRs in Washington was less than mediocre. 

So.... wasn't a fan of his value back then. Still not. It's not a problem. It's an opinion, which turned out to be correct.

Yeah...still have no idea what they saw in Grant as a WR...I guess they liked his ability to run a full route tree.

But predictably, he just wasn't very good. Check out his DYAR and DVOA stats from last year...interesting:

image.png.0b98ca43ccc50977a4bd815c95e7b29e.png

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Yeah...still have no idea what they saw in Grant as a WR...I guess they liked his ability to run a full route tree.

But predictably, he just wasn't very good. Check out his DYAR and DVOA stats from last year...interesting:

Capture.PNG.8d9a95e65feea5cef846ea6118cd6acf.PNG

Yup. Scary thing is, is that Funchess ranked very close to Grant in both those stats as well. 

Wasn't high on Grant, not high on Funchess (at least as the X or WR2). TY was top 10 IIRC in both those stats. Rogers ranked similar to Grant and Funchess. 

Really hope they go WR early in the draft. And really hope Cain gets healthy and makes a noise. Our WR group, aside from TY, is incredibly unimpressive. We desperately need a guy that can be a top 30ish kind of guy.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Yup. Scary thing is, is that Funchess ranked very close to Grant in both those stats as well. 

Wasn't high on Grant, not high on Funchess (at least as the X or WR2). TY was top 10 IIRC in both those stats. Rogers ranked similar to Grant and Funchess. 

Really hope they go WR early in the draft. And really hope Cain gets healthy and makes a noise. Our WR group, aside from TY, is incredibly unimpressive. We desperately need a guy that can be a top 30ish kind of guy.

That's why I took a screen shot of it...cause Funchess is right there next to Grant.

I am optimistic that Ballard gets a WR early. And I wouldn't even be surprised if he grabbed another later (though I would grab that 2nd WR before the end of the 4th round).

I can't say for sure...but I don't think Ballard has any intention of giving Funchess a big contract after this season. He is going to have both Ebron and TY to take care of after this season. 

10 hours ago, shastamasta said:

That's why I took a screen shot of it...cause Funchess is right there next to Grant.

I am optimistic that Ballard gets a WR early. And I wouldn't even be surprised if he grabbed another later (though I would grab that 2nd WR before the end of the 4th round).

I can't say for sure...but I don't think Ballard has any intention of giving Funchess a big contract after this season. He is going to have both Ebron and TY to take care of after this season. 

I hope he gets one early as well. There are some interesting project WRs that will be available in later rounds. Hurd is an incredible athlete and was very good but raw after leaving TN and moving to WR from RB. As for an early WR, all I truly want is someone with good hands that can stretch the D opposite TY. Just keeping TY from being double teamed will be huge in itself. 

Agree, I just don't see Funchess as a long term guy. He's not a legit vertical X. He'll do well at slot and short to intermediate, but he's a possession guy, not a YAC guy.