Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone else going to watch this tragedy tonight?

Guest BlueShoe

And just how many of those guys are going to the hall of fame?

None that I know of. What does that have to do with it?

He brought all the players in from his old teams and got rid of many of the good players he didn't draft.

Just like every coach/GM does when he takes over a team
I don't remember these "many fans" you are referring to either and I have been on Colts boards since about 1995 when the indy star opened their doors for fans.

Well, I just found the forum(indystar) that year(posted under tsabinas). My first post was a question about Mora because I was not a Mora fan and my 2nd post was about Faulk. My statement was I thought the Colts should pay him because he was a great back and most of the responses were about how he doesn't run hard, etc. I was so happy to have found a place where the people were as fanatical about football as I was, that I specifically remember my first two posts because on my first post a lot a people agreed that Mora would not take the Colts to the SB but he was a good coach for building up a team. Then I remember with the response to my 2nd post I thought, "I'm not going to post anymore on here because these people are * if they don't see how good Faulk is."

Faulk was a great back but the fact is no one knows the situation. Perhaps Faulk told Polian to either trade him or he was going to be injured all year. Perhaps Faulk didn't like that Manning was going to be stealing the limelight from him. No one knows. Like jskinnz said Polian made what he thought was the best decision for the team by adding players and then drafting a RB that was as good as Faulk and 5 years younger.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? He was an elite back with the Colts but he became a superstar with the Rams. Plus the Colts traded him. Why shouldn't he go in as a Ram?

Personally I always felt as he was a great fast elusive back that Peyton Liked, if we paid & kept him just think of all the draft picks we could have stocked up on by trading away the draft pick for the Edge , just like after we picked edge, many draft picks weere given away for the right to pick Ricky Williams if remember right, WEe could of immediately built the team defense besides offense, also as all wanted Ricky but polian , we copuld have dropped 1 picke and got a late round 1 to boot if we wanted to & still take the edge, I think the straight pick of edge while not a knock on him, was not the best way to go

Edge more than stepped up and proved himself as a sufficient replacement to Faulk. Would I have wanted to see Marshall get inducted as a Colt? certainly! I also feel that Polian did the correct move in saving cap room in finding a rookie replacement. I just wish Marshall was with us during that heartbreak Steelers game in the playoffs. I really feel we could have beaten the Cowboys that year in the SB, or at least put up a better fight than the Steelers did.

Yep. This is one of the most ridiculous things that has ever happened to a Colts fan.

One more thing on top of all the other thoughts I have had on this thread...

Calling Faulk going into the HoF as a Ram a "tragedy" is a categorically dumb use of that word. A tragedy happened today when the Navy Seals and other military people died in Afghanistan today. 31 soldiers perished and that is tragic. Polian trading Faulk is not even remotely in the same neighborhood as tragic.

Guest BlueShoe

Personally I always felt as he was a great fast elusive back that Peyton Liked, if we paid & kept him just think of all the draft picks we could have stocked up on by trading away the draft pick for the Edge , just like after we picked edge, many draft picks weere given away for the right to pick Ricky Williams if remember right, WEe could of immediately built the team defense besides offense, also as all wanted Ricky but polian , we copuld have dropped 1 picke and got a late round 1 to boot if we wanted to & still take the edge, I think the straight pick of edge while not a knock on him, was not the best way to go

Wow. Someone that has actually paid attention throughout the years.

Good post!!!

Faulk should go into the hall a Ram, that is where he will be remembered and where most of his success was. As far as slamming BP for trading him, for every Marshall Faulk there are 10 Priest Holmes, meaning a great back getting his career cut short by injuries. Faulk had a lot of miles before he left Indy, RB has a shelf life of maybe 5 years. So the percentages said that Faulk was not worth a big money long term deal. Sometimes the percentages don't work and there is an exception to the rule. But 90% of the time it is the right move to let a RB walk, they used the same strategy with Edge, and they were right on that one. RB is a disposable position, that's just football.

You don't go in as a member of a team. You don't have the cap with your team logo on, like in the MLB. You go in for a career. Marshall will have a bust in the Hall of Fame, but it won't feature any team on it. There is a plaque on the bust that will list his position, and below that his teams (both). This is standard procedure. Visit the Museum someday, you'll find it to be true.

Even if a player did go in MLB style, Marshall was certainly bigger as part of the Greatest Show on Turf than here. Even if he wasn't, it's his choice.

You should probably stay away from saying things like "Edge was not thought of as a top ten pick." You have no idea where teams had him valued.

Secondly, teaming Edge and Faulk in the backfield was NEVER going to happen. First, the Colts are not a two back team and those NFL teams that do go with 2 backs have a FB as the 2nd back so tell me, who would have been the lead blocker? Having Faulk and Edge together would have been pointless.

I didn't even really try and came up with areas where you were wrong.

Actually we use an H-B some of the time, it's just usually a TE or DT. (for blocking, which I don't get)

Here's a couple two-back teams from the last couple seasons:

• Jags - Fred Taylor & MJD
  • Panthers - DeAngelo Williams & Jonathon Stewart
  • Titans - LenDale White & Chris Johnson
  • Cowboys - Marion Barber & Felix Jones
  • Dolphins - Ronnie Brown & Ricky Williams
  • Saints - Deuce & Reggie Bush
  • Cardinals - Tim Hightower & Beanie Wells
  • Chargers - LT & Michael Turner (and eventually Sproles)

Yeah, and that's just off the top of my head. :D

I don't really get the whole Edge + Marshall thing, though.

I went to the Colts scrimmage today and saw Polian. He was lamenting about how you won't give him a pass on that decision. Truly a broken man was before me. This is the one thing that keeps him up at night.

+1

You have a better imagination than Sponge Bob Squarepants. You are just being silly at this point.

+1

I don't see how this is a tragedy.

He had his biggest years in St. Louis, he won the MVP there, and won one Super Bowl there.

Also throw in the fact we traded him why would he go in as a Colt?

We basically told him with that trade we thought he reached his peak and was not deserving of top money. Why would he want to go into the HOF as a Colt?

I disagreed with Polian when he traded Faulk because you could see the greatness there. He just needed more help around him. You give him Manning in his second year with Marvin on the outside and he would have tore it up just as much here.

At least Polian made the right decision with Edge. Could you imagine if he traded Faulk and drafted Ricky Williams.

Hey BlueShoe, nice to meet you. I myself have spent more than my fair share of time (when I was much younger) lamenting over various situations within the Colts franchise that I perceived as 'tragedies'. But I eventually got over it. Wanna know why? *mod delete* This is a family-friendly site. Then all this Marshall Faulk stuff just won't matter to you nearly so much.

GO COLTS!

Let's keep this clean. Posts like this can draw a ban. The site is, and will remain, family-friendly. Tubaguy

I seem to remember Faulk having a few injuries, and he had carried the ball alot in his first five years in the NFL.Plus he was the entire offense for San Diego St. Who could have imagined that he had that much left?

Faulk was one of my favorite players growing up, but he wasn't nearly as appreciated when we had him because he never got the blocking he needed. Fans always blamed him for being too soft and many of the things people now say about Addai. He was also somewhat injury prone. The Rams were an ideal landing spot for him and he flourished there in ways he never did with the Colts.

He might still have been a first ballot HOFer if he stayed, but then again he might have gotten killed running behind our line and never made it in at all. The number of variables that would've changed had he stayed would make it ridiculous to try and predict what his outcome would have been.

Just enjoy the induction of a great player who got his start with the Colts. Don't get worked up about minor technicalities.

Re:Polian bashing, Colts went to 2 Super Bowls and won 1 following the trade, Rams went to 2 Super Bowls and won 1. If you need a tiebreaker, Colts are on the cusp of being the first franchise in history to win 10+ games for 10 straight years.

James has ZERO chance of being a HOFer.

None whatsoever.

I loved Edge, but I think ViriLudant is right here. If he woulda stayed healthy then yes, but he didnt have a good enough or consistent enough career.

I always thought maybe ray donaldson would actually be the first true indy colt to go...u older fans know what im talking about he went to several pro bowls when the only other player u went more then once(besides dickerson) was our punter ron stark plus ray was the starting center for two of the cowboys super bowl teams(plus pro bowler I think) ..I know u guys were talking about faulk I just thought ray could have been...I liked faulk but when he came off the field in 95 against patriots in the game we had to win to make playoffs I never felt the same way about faulk (he walked off with no limp at all and never showrd jp in postseason) after that I wanted a tuff strong runner(edge..not to say faulk didnt have some impressive runs remember when he hit hardy nickerson!!!!)...what I regret polian doing wad only trading him for a 2nd and 5th rd picks I thought we could have gotten a 1st from somebody...

Guest BlueShoe

Our time is coming when Edergen Edgerrin James goes in on first ballot

That's never going to happen. Edge will never even see the hall, let alone on the first ballot. To think so is not even close to reality man.

Guest BlueShoe

Re:Polian bashing, Colts went to 2 Super Bowls and won 1 following the trade, Rams went to 2 Super Bowls and won 1. If you need a tiebreaker, Colts are on the cusp of being the first franchise in history to win 10+ games for 10 straight years.

You're right. Polian can never do anything wrong because he has done so many good things.

I guess according to your blind thinking a man could save 10 lives and then turn around and shoot your dog, yet still be a perfect man who you would hold no ill will towards.

Being a fan is an emotional thing. If Marshall going into the hall and not finishing his career with the Colts doesn't bother you then maybe you just don't care.

Guest BlueShoe

Hey BlueShoe, nice to meet you. I myself have spent more than my fair share of time (when I was much younger) lamenting over various situations within the Colts franchise that I perceived as 'tragedies'. But I eventually got over it. Wanna know why? *mod delete* This is a family-friendly site. Then all this Marshall Faulk stuff just won't matter to you nearly so much.

GO COLTS!

Let's keep this clean. Posts like this can draw a ban. The site is, and will remain, family-friendly. Tubaguy

Not sure exactly what you said to get bleeped out here, but I am sure it was some slam towards me.

Like I told the guy I just quoted. If Marshall not playing his entire career for the Colts doesn't bother you then maybe you just don't care. Well I actually do care so save your preaching for someone who actually cares about your opinion.

The Marshall stuff will always matter because he was the first real deal we had in Indy and there were a lot of really bad years in between 1984 and Marshall Faulk.

I always thought maybe ray donaldson would actually be the first true indy colt to go...u older fans know what im talking about he went to several pro bowls when the only other player u went more then once(besides dickerson) was our punter ron stark plus ray was the starting center for two of the cowboys super bowl teams(plus pro bowler I think) ..I know u guys were talking about faulk I just thought ray could have been...I liked faulk but when he came off the field in 95 against patriots in the game we had to win to make playoffs I never felt the same way about faulk (he walked off with no limp at all and never showrd jp in postseason) after that I wanted a tuff strong runner(edge..not to say faulk didnt have some impressive runs remember when he hit hardy nickerson!!!!)...what I regret polian doing wad only trading him for a 2nd and 5th rd picks I thought we could have gotten a 1st from somebody...

Ray Donaldson is now the O-line coach for my semi-professional team. Funny story!

Guest BlueShoe

I always thought maybe ray donaldson would actually be the first true indy colt to go...u older fans know what im talking

Yeah he is the best center we ever had in Indy. I think I read many years ago that he got a lot of votes and was close to getting in, but I haven't heard anything more about it.

Well it's over.

Congrats to Marshall Faulk!!!

THE BEST RUNNING BACK OF ALL TIME!!!

Best RB of all time????? lol you must be under the influence of alchohol. Barrie Sanders , Walter Payton.... Marshal was great, but he hardly cracks the top 10 of all time.

Guest BlueShoe

Best RB of all time????? lol you must be under the influence of alchohol. Barrie Sanders , Walter Payton.... Marshal was great, but he hardly cracks the top 10 of all time.

I would take Faulk over any back who's ever played. He could do everything and he was usually the smartest guy on the field.

I would take Faulk over any back who's ever played. He could do everything and he was usually the smartest guy on the field.

Those RB's you are talking about are of yesterday. RB's have to be recievers and blockers now. It a QB game now dude. Marshall was before his time. Sorry this is supposed to be for ccf who has no idea about the NFL.

Those RB's you are talking about are of yesterday. RB's have to be recievers and blockers now. It a QB game now dude. Marshall was before his time. Sorry this is supposed to be for ccf who has no idea about the NFL.

Yeah, because the names of the players he mentioned are all greats from the CFL right?

:facepalm:

Why is it that people feel this need to put others down by claiming that they know nothing about football? I'm pretty sure that there's a better way to approach this kind of conversation.

based on your qualifications, Ladanian Tomlinson is the greatest RB of all time. Period.

Wish we could have afforded him. We would have won many superbowls.

It wasn't about affordability. EJ got 7M more (1M more/yr) than Faulk for the same length of contract. As far as alternate hypothesis/possible futures are concerned.....none of it matters. What we have is reality, which is EJ more than aptly replaced Faulk in Indy. EJ was part of the solution. Always was.

The debate can rage on but the bottom line is EJ was much more a Colt contributor than Faulk....the stats and number of years in service in blue & white don't lie.

Fact is most folks view Faulk as a Ram, and I count myself among those numbers. Kinda like Dickerson....always a Ram. Those two guys passed through Indy whereas EJ will always be a Colt and was just passin' through AZ & SEA.

It wasn't about affordability. EJ got 7M more (1M more/yr) than Faulk for the same length of contract. As far as alternate hypothesis/possible futures are concerned.....none of it matters. What we have is reality, which is EJ more than aptly replaced Faulk in Indy. EJ was part of the solution. Always was.

The debate can rage on but the bottom line is EJ was much more a Colt contributor than Faulk....the stats and number of years in service in blue & white don't lie.

Fact is most folks view Faulk as a Ram, and I count myself among those numbers. Kinda like Dickerson....always a Ram. Those two guys passed through Indy whereas EJ will always be a Colt and was just passin' through AZ & SEA.

Well played, sir.

For people, including myself, that initially felt letting Faulk go was a mistake on Polian's part, forgiveness comes in realizing that he made up for this mistake with a great pick @ #4 in the draft with EJ. What if Polian had decided to target "sticky" Ricky Williams? A great RB in his own right, but gave up the game for several years so he could chill and smoke rope.

Point being, Polian gets a pass on this because he made right a wrong.

For people, including myself, that initially felt letting Faulk go was a mistake on Polian's part, forgiveness comes in realizing that he made up for this mistake with a great pick @ #4 in the draft with EJ. What if Polian had decided to target "sticky" Ricky Williams? A great RB in his own right, but gave up the game for several years so he could chill and smoke rope.

Point being, Polian gets a pass on this because he made right a wrong.

Exactly.

You're right. Polian can never do anything wrong because he has done so many good things.

I guess according to your blind thinking a man could save 10 lives and then turn around and shoot your dog, yet still be a perfect man who you would hold no ill will towards.

Being a fan is an emotional thing. If Marshall going into the hall and not finishing his career with the Colts doesn't bother you then maybe you just don't care.

Faulk had a long successful career. He showed love for the Colts in his speech. How could that bother anyone, let alone a Colts fan? :thinking:

Yep, I have no idea about the NFL, watching the league and cheering for the Colts for 15 years doesn't qualify me yet, maybe soon I'll get it. You are a Faulk fan, I get it. But you are in a SLIM minority who would even suggest something like that. Guys like AP, CJ2K their teams are built around them, not the QB. Not every team is a QB first team, maybe you just don't watch enough football to know this. And in fact LT was the best RB of this generation which included Faulk, in their primes I take LT 10/10 times.

Guest BlueShoe

Why is it that people feel this need to put others down by claiming that they know nothing about football? I'm pretty sure that there's a better way to approach this kind of conversation.

Because it is all some people have. They think by pulling that card it wins them a debate. I think something happens to people on message boards. They get beaten into submission and only follow the reasoning of what they think the majority will believe, because they are afraid to have their own real opinion about something. It’s kind of like a intuition placebo effect. That's something I have seen the internet era do. If I were talking to some of these same people in a room they would have a different opinion. Seen it many times before.

Me, I just tell it how I really see things and don’t care what people think about it. I have ticked the “Placebo’s” off a lot over the years.

I told everyone back in 2000 that Edgerrin was all about the money and would leave the Colts for more money in a heartbeat. I could just tell by the way he talked about money and his body. But by saying it on a Colts message board, you would think I was torturing someone. I have had several instances like that where my opinion wasn’t always the most welcomed. It didn’t stop it from being true though.

Guest BlueShoe

Agreed. Top 25 probably, but I could rattle off 10 RB's that I would take ahead of Faulk without much thought. Including Brown, Simpson, Emmit Smith etc.

If you really believe Emmitt Smith was a better back than Marshall Faulk then I have just lost all football knowledge respect for you. Ruksak is it?

These people who are saying Marshall isn't even a top 10 back of all time are as delusional as they come.