Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone else going to watch this tragedy tonight?

Guest BlueShoe

Guest BlueShoe

It wasn't about affordability. EJ got 7M more (1M more/yr) than Faulk for the same length of contract. As far as alternate hypothesis/possible futures are concerned.....none of it matters. What we have is reality, which is EJ more than aptly replaced Faulk in Indy. EJ was part of the solution. Always was.

The debate can rage on but the bottom line is EJ was much more a Colt contributor than Faulk....the stats and number of years in service in blue & white don't lie.

Fact is most folks view Faulk as a Ram, and I count myself among those numbers. Kinda like Dickerson....always a Ram. Those two guys passed through Indy whereas EJ will always be a Colt and was just passin' through AZ & SEA.

Edge was on an incentive based contract.

That's your view an you're entitled to that. If you started watching the Colts play in 2000 then I even get it, but for many of us older fans Faulk was Peyton before Peyton. We had a lot of really bad years from 1984 to Faulk. He was that start player that we had been looking for and we drafted him - didn't take him from another team. He was ours and then Polian traded him away. Now he is in the hall of fame. Faulk never had the kind of OL that Edge had. He only played with Peyton one year. Had he stayed the numbers we would have put up would have been insane.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BlueShoe

Faulk had a long successful career. He showed love for the Colts in his speech. How could that bother anyone, let alone a Colts fan? :thinking:

Maybe you just had to be a fan all the way back to 1984 to understand. I thought there were more fans here that have been fans for the entire journey. I am starting to realize that many of you are Peyton era only fans. If that is the case then many of the responses I am getting makes sense.

Image if we traded away Dwight Freeney after his first contract for a second and a fifth round pick and then multiply that by 20. That's how someone who has been watching this team (every game) for close to 30 years now felt when we traded Faulk. But if you just hopped along on the Peyton wagon then none of this would make much sense because you’re not emotionally attached to it.

Maybe you just had to be a fan all the way back to 1984 to understand. I thought there were more fans here that have been fans for the entire journey. I am starting to realize that many of you are Peyton era only fans. If that is the case then many of the responses I am getting makes sense.

Image if we traded away Dwight Freeney after his first contract for a second and a fifth round pick and then multiply that by 20. That's how someone who has been watching this team (every game) for close to 30 years now felt when we traded Faulk. But if you just hopped along on the Peyton wagon then none of this would make much sense because you’re not emotionally attached to it.

The thing you have to realize is Faulk was a RB, they tend to have short careers. 5 years in the position is a lot, BP knew he was drafting RB, he wanted a set of fresh legs. 90% of RB's flame out after 5 years. And just because we have a different opinion means we are on the "Peyton wagon"? EJ came in the league and led the entire NFL in rushing his first 2 seasons, it is not like we had a HUGE drop off from the position.

You act like the greatest show on turf was all Faulk, it was a lot of talent around him as well. Marshall was a great RB, one of the best of this era yes. He was a very good player with the Colts, but 1 of the 5 seasons he was injured, then he was going to hold out with 2 years remaining on his contract. We had a young team and did not need a hold out when trying to build a team. Factor in we got a really good LB with 1 of those picks in Peterson, the other was a bust I think (maybe was Scioli?.)Bottom line is I'm glad he is in the hall, he deserves it, but I dont think it hurt our organization much if at all getting EJ.

Guest BlueShoe

The thing you have to realize is Faulk was a RB, they tend to have short careers. 5 years in the position is a lot, BP knew he was drafting RB, he wanted a set of fresh legs. 90% of RB's flame out after 5 years. And just because we have a different opinion means we are on the "Peyton wagon"? EJ came in the league and led the entire NFL in rushing his first 2 seasons, it is not like we had a HUGE drop off from the position.

You act like the greatest show on turf was all Faulk, it was a lot of talent around him as well. Marshall was a great RB, one of the best of this era yes. He was a very good player with the Colts, but 1 of the 5 seasons he was injured, then he was going to hold out with 2 years remaining on his contract. We had a young team and did not need a hold out when trying to build a team. Factor in we got a really good LB with 1 of those picks in Peterson, the other was a bust I think (maybe was Scioli?.)Bottom line is I'm glad he is in the hall, he deserves it, but I dont think it hurt our organization much if at all getting EJ.

I think you are missing the entire point.

Try this:

1. We had Marshall and the 4th overall pick in the draft.

2. We ended up with Edgerrin, a second round pick (Peterson), and a fifth (Scioli).

We traded 1 for 2.

Now we could have still drafted Edgerrin if we would have just traded New Orleans and we would have had a butt load of picks on top of it.

Ditka gave the Redskins two first round picks, two third round picks, and a fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh for the fifth overall pick in the draft. Bill knew this. Everyone knew that Ditka was going to do this because he announced it to the whole media days before the draft.

Why would Bill Polian pass up that trade, trade Faulk, draft Edgerrin, and spend a butt load of money on free agents when he had all those picks and Faulk if he just made the trade? It was a very bad business decision and it wasn’t good for the fans either.

I think you are missing the entire point.

Try this:

1. We had Marshall and the 4th overall pick in the draft.

2. We ended up with Edgerrin, a second round pick (Peterson), and a fifth (Scioli).

We traded 1 for 2.

Now we could have still drafted Edgerrin if we would have just traded New Orleans and we would have had a butt load of picks on top of it.

Ditka gave the Redskins two first round picks, two third round picks, and a fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh for the fifth overall pick in the draft. Bill knew this. Everyone knew that Ditka was going to do this because he announced it to the whole media days before the draft.

Why would Bill Polian pass up that trade, trade Faulk, draft Edgerrin, and spend a butt load of money on free agents when he had all those picks and Faulk if he just made the trade? It was a very bad business decision and it wasn’t good for the fans either.

Yeah everyone knew what Ditka was going to do, and trading No 4 for all of those picks is without a doubt a great move. The only explanation is BP was really high on EJ and wanted him as a Colt. With all the picks NO gave up , they drafted a whole lot of crappy players, the other side of that coin is the Colts would have drafted much better probably. There was a lot of things could have been done diferently, but we ended up ok in the deal, and Marshall ended up in a place where he thrived. I honestly don't know he makes the HOF if he was not traded. I'm not a Marshall hater, I loved him as a Colt, and am happy for him with the induction. I just think it worked out ok for us too.

I'm totally fine with him going in as a Ram. We willfully moved him from our team, and that's where he had 90% of his success. He did much bigger and better things there than he could have here, IMO. He mentioned us in his speech and thanked us for giving him his start, and that's really all our team could ask for.

I didn't watch the Ceremony. I wanted to, but with shannon sharpe and dip**** deion on there, I decided to do something more productive with my time, like staring at the wall in the dark.

Seriously, every time shannon sharpe opens his mouth, I can never figure out what he's saying... The man literally has no enunciation whatsoever. This is what I hear when he talks

"Welimatullyea dacotsengunwenusdaycanundebal. hehehecoahcower."

Seriously. That's the actual transcript. Even the guy doing closed captions is like :thinking: Eventually he just settles on giving up trying to translate and just puts "Thank god you're deaf so you didn't have to hear that."

And dip**** dieon?

Ugh. He can't say anything in the same universe as intelligent, and he's nothing more than a glorified low-life.

Yeah, no thanks, I'll pass.

Kind of a down year for the HOF TBH. Last year they had a blockbuster class, this year not so much. It was good to see Ed Sabol go in, though.

That's your view an you're entitled to that. If you started watching the Colts play in 2000 then I even get it, but for many of us older fans Faulk was Peyton before Peyton.

Been a fan since 1974 livin' outside Balt. and know all the ins & outs going back that far and then some my friend.

Actually, Lydell Mitchell was Faulk before Faulk was Faulk, haha

edit to add: This is a side bar but it might surprise some to know the Lydell Mitchell vs. Marshall Faulk Colts numbers. It's interesting and they're very similar although separated by 20 odd years in the league.

Mitchell -

1,391 carries for 5,487 yds and 3.94 ypc w/27 TDS

318 receptions for 2,523 yds and 7.93 ypc w/14 TDS

Faulk -

1,389 carries for 5,320 yds and 3.83 ypc w/42 TDS

297 receptions for 2,804 yds and 9.44 ypc w/9 TDS

EJ (by comparison) -

2,188 carries for 9,226 yds and 4.23 ypc w/74TDS

356 receptions for 2,839 yds and 7.97 ypc w/11TDS

Lenny Moore (by comparison) -

1,069 carries for 5,174 yds and 4.8 ypc w/63 TDS

363 receptions for 6,039 yds and 16.6 ypc w/48 TDS

Because he never should have been traded. That is the tragedy. He was always a first ballot hall of famer. Anyone who watched him play for the Colts or the Rams could clearly see that. He was the best all around back to ever play this game.

But he was traded. End of story. Should have's don't determine Hall of Fame status.

Agreed. Top 25 probably, but I could rattle off 10 RB's that I would take ahead of Faulk without much thought. Including Brown, Simpson, Emmit Smith etc.

10 over Marshall?

Brown,Sanders,Simpson,Payton, Smith, Dickerson, Cambell, LT could all be argued as better than Marshall, but that's only 8, who would be you others?

But he was traded. End of story. Should have's don't determine Hall of Fame status.

I don't think he's trying to argue that he shouldn't be inducted as a Ram. I think what he's saying is that it burns to watch it because, in his opinion, he never should have been traded and should have played his entire career as a Colt. I think he's saying that it's painful to watch because it is a glaring reminder of what might have been.

Guest BlueShoe

I don't think he's trying to argue that he shouldn't be inducted as a Ram. I think what he's saying is that it burns to watch it because, in his opinion, he never should have been traded and should have played his entire career as a Colt. I think he's saying that it's painful to watch because it is a glaring reminder of what might have been.

At least someone gets it. Maybe I should use crayons next time or draw pictures.

Many people are blaming Polian for trading Faulk. In my opinion he got what he could for a player that no longer wanted to be in Indy. From what I remember of watching Faulk play, the last two years he was here it was evident that he didn’t want to play here because of his lack of effort. Hand off to faulk, no gain. Hand off to Faulk, loss of 2. This went on play after play after play, game after game after game. Some of you are going to say that it was because he didn’t have blocking, and granted blocking was pretty lame. However, I remember watching several Rams games his first year there. He was still getting hit in the back field, however he was then dragging 2 defenders while shedding a third to get a 5 or 6 yard gain. Couple that with he comment about not wanting to play for a team with astro turf and then going to a team that has it………. I lost all respect for him at that point.

He is a Ram.

Many people are blaming Polian for trading Faulk. In my opinion he got what he could for a player that no longer wanted to be in Indy. From what I remember of watching Faulk play, the last two years he was here it was evident that he didn’t want to play here because of his lack of effort. Hand off to faulk, no gain. Hand off to Faulk, loss of 2. This went on play after play after play, game after game after game. Some of you are going to say that it was because he didn’t have blocking, and granted blocking was pretty lame. However, I remember watching several Rams games his first year there. He was still getting hit in the back field, however he was then dragging 2 defenders while shedding a third to get a 5 or 6 yard gain. Couple that with he comment about not wanting to play for a team with astro turf and then going to a team that has it………. I lost all respect for him at that point.

He is a Ram.

A lot of this post is very true, though I did not lose respect for Marshall, I agree he did not want to be here any longer. And I totally forgot about the astro turf comment until you just said that.

At least someone gets it. Maybe I should use crayons next time or draw pictures.

Everyone gets what you meant, it is the sidebar comments that people are disputing. Saying flat out someone is the best ever is going to stir up a reaction.

A lot of this post is very true, though I did not lose respect for Marshall, I agree he did not want to be here any longer. And I totally forgot about the astro turf comment until you just said that.

yeah i forgot about a lot of that stuff too. i do remember the sentiment of wanting him gone though

i also remember him serving a half game suspension in '98 (his last season here) for supposedly showing up late for practice. there certainly was bad blood, but who knows what went on behind the scenes

Maybe you're wrong and the only person who feels it's a tragedy? Ever consider that? Instead of accusing anyone who disagrees with you of being Peyton badwagon jumpers, consider for a second that you're crying over revised history. I have been a fan since the team moved to Indy and this is how I remember it:

1. Most Colts fans had grown tired of Faulk. Faulk in turn had grown tired of Indy. It was time for him to go.

2. Faulk had a reputation as a bad locker room presence. This contributed heavily to his insanely meager trade return of second and fifth round picks from the losingest team of the 90's no less!

3. Faulk had an incredible run in St. Louis. As a fan, I am happy for him. He won a Super Bowl. He won an MVP. He was the heart of the Greatest Show on Turf. And he went down as arguably the greatest all-around RB ever...AS A RAM.

4. Edge was a better runner. Period. I will always believe that if Edge had not blown out his knee in KC during his third year, he would be challenging Emmitt Smith's rushing record now. Edge won the rushing title in his first two years and was leading the league in rushing in his third year before the knee injury. Edge was better suited for the downhill stretch play runs that set up Peyton's play action to Marvin.

5. Faulk's induction speech was classy as heck. It paid enough homage to Indy fans, Jim Irsay, his Colts mates, and Gene Huey that any tragedy or percieved tragedy was averted.

Guest BlueShoe

You actually want someone to take you serious with a name like OJluvsCaseyAnthony?

I just hope I don't get banned for typing your user name.

If you really believe Emmitt Smith was a better back than Marshall Faulk then I have just lost all football knowledge respect for you. Ruksak is it?

These people who are saying Marshall isn't even a top 10 back of all time are as delusional as they come.

It really comes down to opinion, sir, and you're asserting yours a tad too forcefully. Emmmit was a pure runner, whereas Marshall was a hybrid. Faulk was a great player in his own right and for me to claim he is, in fact, deserving of enshrinement in the Hall of Fame, doesn't exactly show a high level of disrespect toward him.

:shrug: I guess only drama queens can be true fans. I was ticked when they traded Faulk. Somewhere between winning a Super Bowl, going to another, and winning 10 games every season for about the last decade I got over it.

10 over Marshall?

Brown,Sanders,Simpson,Payton, Smith, Dickerson, Cambell, LT could all be argued as better than Marshall, but that's only 8, who would be you others?

Franco Harris and Gale Sayers would be two. Both of whom played in an era when passing was secondary and defenses always keyed on the rusher. I would even list Riggins and Okoye as better runners. What made Faulk such a stat hound was the team he played on, an offense that inflicted fear through its passing game. Defenses dedicated so much resource to minding the deep threats that Faulk often had a 10 yard head start.

You actually want someone to take you serious with a name like OJluvsCaseyAnthony?

Yeah, most likely not the best choice of usenames... Still a little too soon on the Anthony front.

OJ jokes are always appreciated, though. :applause:

Hope all you want!

It doesn't change the fact you're the only one who can't get over a trade that happend like 13 years ago.

If this is true then he doesn't understand football very well and how specific personnel fits into schemes. The fact is that Edge was a better fit for the stretch play/play action system Tom Moore was developing for Peyton's talents. Faulk went to an offense that maximized his talents and allowed him to have the kind of career that he probably could not have had here. Spilled milk ya'll. Everything worked out for the best. Both franchises put together fantastic offenses and both franchises won Super Bowls since the Faulk trade.

They will never get over things like that. It's the reason they lead sad, miserable lives. Just look at how many trolls haven't gotten over the "blown undefeated season." Even though there were no guarantees that we would have beaten both the Jets, and the Bills - the latter in Buffalo, with 10293184 feet of snow, mind you - they swear up and down that this cost us the necessary morale, confidence, and respect for the coaching staff needed to beat the Saints.

Forget that we still won our playoff games; forget that we had a lead and simply made too many mistakes; oh no... grudges will be held, and nerd-rage will prevail!

I told everyone back in 2000 that Edgerrin was all about the money and would leave the Colts for more money in a heartbeat.

What would you do? This is such a bogus criticism. The Colts didn't value Edgerrin James as a free agent, for various reasons (including his injury history), and they allowed him to walk. He got four years, $30 million from Arizona. What was he supposed to do? Look at what we just paid Addai. Three years, $14 million -- which is higher than I would have gone -- and it's incentive-laden (which means the actual value of the contract when it's all said and done will likely be less than $14 million). If Edge wanted to stay in Indy, he probably would have had to be willing to take half of what he got from the Cardinals.

There is nothing wrong with a player taking the money when he's a free agent. Especially at a position like running back, where your shelf life is extremely limited. To act as if that makes him overly selfish or entirely money motivated and devoid of principle is nonsense. I'd have taken the money, too. And so would most every other person.

:shrug: I guess only drama queens can be true fans. I was ticked when they traded Faulk. Somewhere between winning a Super Bowl, going to another, and winning 10 games every season for about the last decade I got over it.

The NFL has evolved so much in the last decade to the point that running back might be the most replaceable full-time position on the field. Faulk was a great player here, was a great player for the Rams, etc., etc. I'm happy he's in the Hall. Don't know why a trade from over a decade ago is being rehashed as if it has bearing on the team now. I bow out.