Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Randy Gregory Suspended Indefinitely

Caleb3502

On 2/28/2019 at 9:03 AM, oldunclemark said:

Are we talking about weed or cocaine?  Or PEDs?

Is Gregory's problem recreational drugs or performance enhancing drugs..?

There are two NFL policies,

Substance Abuse (recreational drugs)

Performance Enhancing Substances (Steroids, etc...)

Randy was suspended for Substance abuse.

Has anybody said?

Legally, they can't  say, only Randy can. He already let it be known it is MJ previously. So we have to assume that it was MJ again, but in theory it could be possibly something else, just not a PES.

Unfortunately, when he failed his drug test at the combine, he forfeited his ability to smoke during the regular season, if he was doing it for medication purposes.  The NFL only tests for MJ in the off season, if one has never failed a drug test before.

When in the NFL drug program, they receive a lot of medical attention/help.  It just works for some guys though, and not others.

He knows he's in the system, he knows he's going to be tested yet he can't stop. He's the same as so many other players, Gordon, is just the latest example. Justin Blackmon of the Jags was one of the worst examples, and he's out of the league.

8 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

It isnt legal in Indiana to smoke pot but I would assume all it would take is a Dr. to say this guy needs it to cope with medical issues, then an employer cant fire you for it. In this dudes situation, he has had been told, warned, etc. Time to quit buddy. Uh bu..bye.

An employer has the right to terminate you if you test positive for weed.  It doesn't matter if it was prescribed .   

You can't quit addiction, and Gregory needs real help since addiction to any substance, legal or not, is never a good thing.  At this point its unfair to say that stupidity has anything to do with his present situation.

But it is a fair part of the discussion as to why a nonaddicted person starts in the first place.  I don't think a doctor prescribed a sober Gregory to start smoking weed to overcome some other affliction or ailment.  Its my understanding he started up in high school if not before, being a local Indy kid.

15 hours ago, DougDew said:

You can't quit addiction, and Gregory needs real help since addiction to any substance, legal or not, is never a good thing.  At this point its unfair to say that stupidity has anything to do with his present situation.

Players that fail drug tests do get help.  Whether they take it serious or not is a player issue. Omitting the penalties, it breaks down like this:

Stage 1

Upon entering the program, a Treating Clinician will review the player and determine whether or not they need to be sent to inpatient treatment (rehab facility). If it is determined that the player does, the Medical Director will review the report and approve or decline the inpatient treatment. If approved, the Medical Director will choose the treatment facility.

The player will be given a testing schedule in Stage 1, and although they are tested more frequently than players not in the program, they are still not subjected to random testing. A player may stay in Stage 1 up to 90 days if they have had no failed tests or behavioral issues (arrests or attempts to avoid testing). But should they fail that-

Stage 2

This is when a player is finally subjected to random testing. They may not be tested at all but if they are, they cannot receive more than 10 tests in a single calendar month. The player will be tested for the standard NFL Drug Panel, excluding alcohol unless it is determined that the player should be tested for it. There is also a chance for additional substances to be added to what is tested.

The treatment plan determined in Stage 1 will be carried over into Stage 2, but may be amended upon entry to Stage 2 based off the Medical Director's review. The duration of Stage 2 is either 24 months or 2 full seasons, whichever is shorter. A violation while in Stage 2 will reset this time. If a player goes 12 months without incident, the Medical Director will review their case and decide to release him from the program or to continue his involvement.

Stage 3

Upon entry to Stage 3, a player will continue their treatment program from Stage 2 unless a review by the Medical Director determines that an alteration is necessary. The testing schedule is the same as in Stage 2 - random tests up to 10 per calendar month may be administered.

Participation in Stage 3 has no defined time limit, it lasts until retirement. Similar to Stage 2 there are chances to get out of it. After 24 months in Stage 3, the Medical Director will review the player and decide if he will be released from the Program or continue. If he is required to continue the program, he will be reevaluated once every 12 months until he is released or retires.

Violations are a 1 year ban before any request for reinstatement can be made. Player remains in Stage 3.

But treatment/rehab help is there all along.  It's not like the NFL lets them go home with a few weeks off to continue in destructive behavior.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:55 PM, krunk said:

Boy just can't put the ganja down can he?

There are plenty of NFL players that smoke pot. They are smart enough to know when and when not to smoke it. They know ahead of time when they will be tested so if they cant learn to play the game they are stupid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I'm not going to get in an argument about this in this thread.  However, I will throws this shade on it in rebuttal {science driven article that refutes a lot of misconceptions}...

https://tinyurl.com/y2f2j8fk

Cannabis causes schizophrenia?  Most absurd thing I've ever heard.   I'm not surprised that those that are schizophrenic smoke,   but to say it causes schizophrenia is ridiculous

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Cannabis causes schizophrenia?  Most absurd thing I've ever heard.   I'm not surprised that those that are schizophrenic smoke,   but to say it causes schizophrenia is ridiculous

I think you mis read what was said and the intent of what was said.