Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who you got at 26?

On 2/24/2019 at 9:27 PM, Zoltan said:

Here's the Scientific article link

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5480637/

To quote the summarized conclusion:

"Overall, 64.3% of NFL offensive and defensive linemen who undergo ACL reconstruction returned to play. Linemen who RTS do so at a high level, with no difference in in-game performance or career duration when compared with matched controls."

On 2/25/2019 at 3:00 PM, Zoltan said:

He's going to return to play so that's not the important part of the article and did you look at the standard deviation of the average seasons played for both the ACL group and control, they overlap by a lot and show in some cases the ACL group can have a longer season than the control. Even though the P value is lower than .05 and is technically called significant, I would counter that most values that are used is a P value lower than .001.

There are many studies. Here's looks at the analyzed results of two others-

"Doctors at Northwestern University analyzed orthopedic injuries suffered by 559 NFL athletes, and found the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) tear to be one of the most career-damaging. Those who underwent ACL surgeries needed 378 days to recover, on average, and their careers wound up shorter than those of players recovering from other orthopedic injuries, according to results being printed Thursday in the American Journal of Sports Medicine.

This paper shows that after (most ACL injuries), there is a significance decrease in performance and career length.”

http://www.startribune.com/athletes-recover-from-acl-injuries-eventually/391891671/

And results from yet another-

"In the NFL, like other sports, a lasting return to play is also influenced by the player’s pre-injury position – 20% of running backs and wide receivers never return to the NFL and for those that do return, performance drops by a third. However, because their performance is less tied to lower body speed and explosiveness, 12 out of the 13 of NFL quarterbacks studied after ACL surgeries were able to resume playing at pre-injury levels."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/11/acl-injuries-sports-athletes-careers

I can't be positive, but I believe I've heard Dr. Chao hint one does not reach maximum performance after an ACL until almost 2 years pass, even though they often play after 1.

It's still a crap shoot to a degree.  It's why I think he becomes another day 2 selectee.

On 2/27/2019 at 7:03 AM, Fluke_33 said:

This is certainly sexist on my part but i do consider it worse when a man hits a woman than when a man hits another man.   

There are definitely different levels to battery though.  I've seen a juvenile charged with throwing a snowball. (he was actually charged with assault and batter with a dangerous weapon to wit said snowball.  it was stupid.)

If ferguson was in a bar fight and threw one punch against an aggressor,  i definitely don't have a problem with him.   If he ran up and blind sided a woman with a rabbit punch for no reason, i don't want him.  

Gotta agree. Worse when a man hits a woman. Growing up with 5 sisters and no brothers when I was about ten I hit one of my sisters. My dad had me stand in a corner facing out and he just started tapping me in the face till I got annoyed and yelled "stop it". When I said that, dad stopped and said "that's what it's like for the woman". My dad never got past sophomore year of high school but he was smart. That was a great lesson and of course I never did it again. But I did lose my combine invite, lol.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

There are many studies. Here's looks at the analyzed results of two others-

"Doctors at Northwestern University analyzed orthopedic injuries suffered by 559 NFL athletes, and found the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) tear to be one of the most career-damaging. Those who underwent ACL surgeries needed 378 days to recover, on average, and their careers wound up shorter than those of players recovering from other orthopedic injuries, according to results being printed Thursday in the American Journal of Sports Medicine.

This paper shows that after (most ACL injuries), there is a significance decrease in performance and career length.”

http://www.startribune.com/athletes-recover-from-acl-injuries-eventually/391891671/

And results from yet another-

"In the NFL, like other sports, a lasting return to play is also influenced by the player’s pre-injury position – 20% of running backs and wide receivers never return to the NFL and for those that do return, performance drops by a third. However, because their performance is less tied to lower body speed and explosiveness, 12 out of the 13 of NFL quarterbacks studied after ACL surgeries were able to resume playing at pre-injury levels."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/11/acl-injuries-sports-athletes-careers

I can't be positive, but I believe I've heard Dr. Chao hint one does not reach maximum performance after an ACL until almost 2 years pass, even though they often play after 1.

It's still a crap shoot to a degree.  It's why I think he becomes another day 2 selectee.

Yeah, but those studies were looking at general sport athletes or all NFL players, the study I referenced were OL & DL which is a more specific population. 

2 hours ago, MPStack said:

Devin Bush Jr

One could only hope.. If Baltimore drops Mosely, I think that's the farthest down Bush makes it because I think Baltimore will be running up to the podium for him. The kid is going to be good and I could only imagine him playing Leonard in this Colts defense. 

I'd go best Edge remaining, unless we address EDGE in FA.

I think Ballard will try to lock up at least one position out of Edge, DT, WR, and CB before the draft. FA fun starts next week!

After Edge, I'll take best available of WR, DT, and CB. Huge rush on Edge and DTs early, and the better CBs will be gone by the end of the second round. WR is deep IMO, but the impact WRs will be gone by mid 2nd.