Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who do you think is going to rise?

10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

People will move up media and blog/fans boards. Very few will move up team boards.  The combine is most beneficial to HC's and GM's for the medical evaluations and the psychological testing and (15 minute only) interviews

I did not say he would move up at the combine.  I said when teams see his athleticism at the combine, a lot more teams will go back and watch his tape and he will rise.

The teams college scouts have all the tape and their prospect reports done.  GM's and HC's will review all the reports and look at some tape too.  But a Pro Day will have bigger impact than the combine; as far as measurables and the teams draft boards.

I disagree.  Pro days have a bigger impact because they can get more time with a draftee.  But if all a team got out of the combine was the medical results and testing, they would not do the combine.

Speed and agility on game day tape in pads is more important the skill tests at the combine in gym shorts.  Now a combine speed that is significantly well above (or below) anticipated numbers gathered by game day tape, that can move a guy up or down,  but  rarely by 60+ slots.

Again, I never said anything about moving up because of his combine numbers

Teams have a full time staff gathering this info as the Pro season is running.  Its when eliminated from playoffs that he HC finally gets to join the fun, but the party has been running for quite awhile before he gets there.  I once read a ProFootballWeekly article. In it was this-

They have a full staff, but that does not mean they can see every person.  Again, like I said, I think he will rise because teams will see how well he performed at the combine and go watch his tape and will rise based on his impressive tape.

Today, all day on SiriusXM NFL radio, were GM's and coaches. To a man, they all indicated the interview and medical results was the most valuable info coming their way.

Awesome.

I like chatting with you ColtsBlueFL, but if you are going to spend this much time responding to a post I made, can you please base it on something I actually said?

23 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I did not say he would move up at the combine.  I said when teams see his athleticism at the combine, a lot more teams will go back and watch his tape and he will rise.

OK, something that probably cant be proven (I personally doubt will happen).  But If he gets GM's/HC'/s at his pro day, then maybe you're right.

I disagree.  Pro days have a bigger impact because they can get more time with a draftee.  But if all a team got out of the combine was the medical results and testing, they would not do the combine.

Now do what you claim I have done, infer something not implied.  The medical and interviews are tops on the list, but the measurables still count some; mainly for affirmation of their scouting reports.  Not all players perform all the drills either, they skip doing them to their pro day.

Again, I never said anything about moving up because of his combine numbers

They have a full staff, but that does not mean they can see every person.  Again, like I said, I think he will rise because teams will see how well he performed at the combine and go watch his tape and will rise based on his impressive tape.

I heard a GM said at the combine they have a list of 200 or so players, based upon their scouting reports, they are targeting.  My thought is if he is on team list, they have tape and reports already.  The numbers achieved will solidify his spot, or maybe even move him up a small amount.  If that is what you mean by rise, then I agree that could happen.  If they did not target him, and don't have tape,  I am fairly confident his numbers will not cause that team to go acquire and view his tape and add him to their board this late in the game. Especially late round players.

I like chatting with you ColtsBlueFL, but if you are going to spend this much time responding to a post I made, can you please base it on something I actually said?

That happens to people at times. What I infer from your post isn't necessarily what you meant to imply.  Thus a discussion happens, and positions are clarified.  It's no biggie.

On 2/23/2019 at 11:30 AM, MikeCurtis said:

There was an "all world" WR that looked like that named David Boston

EVERYONE fell in love with the muscles

The guy was not flexible........  did almost nothing in the NFL

Do you remember Laron Landry?   A "musclehead" that kept getting bigger......

good for the mirrors for a self indulged person .... not so much for football

No disagreement from me on your examples of “body like Tarzan” but “game like Jane” from the past.  Lots of those guys.  And not a single combine participant has played a snap in the NFL so they all could stink.  That’s sort of the OP’s point though, at least that’s how I understand the question.  Who did we think will be the talk of the combine and move up draft boards?  I stick by DK Metcalf.  1.9% body fat at 6’3”, 228 pounds, and put up 27 reps yesterday on the bench.  40 is this morning.  He’ll surprise there too with his size.  

I still don't think it will be as much about rising on teams draft board as much as focusing in on where a team send the GM/HC to for Pro Days vs. the scout team; and collecting initial character assessment and medical data. Final player grades and draft board alignment aren't completed until after the Pro days, not the combine.

Final true grades and team board tweaks are after personal workouts conclude.

The combine is a snapshot at one particular point in time. It may show a trend or trajectory for a player's progress, but there is a known history and tape that most teams are aware of. Coaches and player scouts talk to each other. While I have (what I think are) good reasons for liking the players I like, no one from the Colts ever ask my opinion. Bummer.