Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who do you think is going to rise?

Every year there is a player who has a great combine that causes them to shoot up draft boards. Who do you think it will be this year? I am going to go with an easier one with Sweat. Hes already on the rise up after the senior bowl but he may got to the combine and show his physical tools off even more.

6 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I hope not, I was hoping the Colts could draft him @#34

If him or Taylor Rapp have a great combine, one of them is bound to go in Round 1, IMO. Personally, I do not get attached to the notion of "must be a DL at No.26". Both Nasir Adderley and Taylor Rapp play the short zones very well, and come with no red flags that I can think of.

Of course, teams reaching for QBs and offensive skill position players might push a few quality DL down our way and it would ultimately boil down to "which player's upside helps us most at No.26" because everyone at No.26 is going to have some weaknesses for certain after the pundits and "us armchair analysts" :) have had time to dissect them during and after the combine. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chad72 said:

If him or Taylor Rapp have a great combine, one of them is bound to go in Round 1, IMO. Personally, I do not get attached to the notion of "must be a DL at No.26". Both Nasir Adderley and Taylor Rapp play the short zones very well, and come with no red flags that I can think of.

I don't either, IMO you draft the guy at the top of your board and I would not mind the Cols drafting him at #26, I was just hoping he'd slip through the cracks a bit.

10 hours ago, chad72 said:

Of course, teams reaching for QBs and offensive skill position players might push a few quality DL down our way and it would ultimately boil down to "which player's upside helps us most at No.26" because everyone at No.26 is going to have some weaknesses for certain after the pundits and "us armchair analysts" :) have had time to dissect them during and after the combine. 

:)  My prediction is that whomever the Colts draft at #26, some people will act like it's the greatest pick in the world and that player will be an all pro their entire career.  Some people will consider the pick a reach and wonder why the Colts took that player when there were other players, who will be much better, still on the board (but they will end their post with something like, "I hope I'm wrong.").  Some people will get all zen and claim you really can't judge a draft pick for 2-3 years (although that does not stop them from judging a draft pick a success if that pick does well early on).  Some will say they don't know anything about the pick but they trust in ballard.  Some will immediately wonder if that person can switch positions.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

:)  My prediction is that whomever the Colts draft at #26, some people will act like it's the greatest pick in the world and that player will be an all pro their entire career.  Some people will consider the pick a reach and wonder why the Colts took that player when there were other players, who will be much better, still on the board (but they will end their post with something like, "I hope I'm wrong.").  Some people will get all zen and claim you really can't judge a draft pick for 2-3 years (although that does not stop them from judging a draft pick a success if that pick does well early on).  Some will say they don't know anything about the pick but they trust in ballard.  Some will immediately wonder if that person can switch positions.

I think you pretty much covered it all. :) 

19 hours ago, chad72 said:

Nasir Adderley will back his Senior Bowl performance up with a rise into round 1.

Yeah... Nasir Adderley has the hallmarks of a draft process riser. The Haason Reddick type of this draft. 

One I would have as a guess - Joejuan Williams from Vanderbilt. He is a huge cornerback(6'3", 208lbs) and he's expected to be one of the better testers at the combine. 

I don't either, IMO you draft the guy at the top of your board and I would not mind the Cols drafting him at #26, I was just hoping he'd slip through the cracks a bit.

Ok. So that is human nature and part of the fun of speculating on the draft and the Colts' ultimate picks. What's your point? Do you not have a favorite for the Colts' #1 pick and/or someone who will rise up the draft charts?

48 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Ok. So that is human nature and part of the fun of speculating on the draft and the Colts' ultimate picks. What's your point? Do you not have a favorite for the Colts' #1 pick and/or someone who will rise up the draft charts?

My point is poking fun at the board (including me) on how little we all actually know about players.

No, I really don't have a favorite for the Colts first pick.  There are players I like, there I players I think the Colts may draft but no one that I WANT the Colts to draft.  

And right now I don't have much idea who will rise of draft charts, I have not had the time I normally do to research it. the only one at this point, that I know anything about is Daniel Wise from KU.  I think as more and more people start watching his game tapes, he will rise up boards.  The projections I've seen have him as a 5th rounder but I think when he is a top performer in the speed and agility testing at the combine, more teams will watch his game film and he will move up to a mid 3rd rounder.

• Like 1

My point is poking fun at the board (including me) on how little we all actually know about players.

No, I really don't have a favorite for the Colts first pick.  There are players I like, there I players I think the Colts may draft but no one that I WANT the Colts to draft.  

And right now I don't have much idea who will rise of draft charts, I have not had the time I normally do to research it. the only one at this point, that I know anything about is Daniel Wise from KU.  I think as more and more people start watching his game tapes, he will rise up boards.  The projections I've seen have him as a 5th rounder but I think when he is a top performer in the speed and agility testing at the combine, more teams will watch his game film and he will move up to a mid 3rd rounder.

OK. Fair enough. And you are right, to a certain degree, about lack of knowledge if you compare what we know to the coaches and scouts. But there are lots of posters on this Board who are working diligently to study up on the top players in the draft. And that's what I like about this time of year: speculating on who might be wearing the horseshoe next year for our favorite team. I read your post and thought you were peeing in everybody's Cheerios. I stand corrected. 

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

OK. Fair enough. And you are right, to a certain degree, about lack of knowledge if you compare what we know to the coaches and scouts. But there are lots of posters on this Board who are working diligently to study up on the top players in the draft. And that's what I like about this time of year: speculating on who might be wearing the horseshoe next year for our favorite team. I read your post and thought you were peeing in everybody's Cheerios. I stand corrected. 

I try not to pee in EVERYBODY's Cheerios... I'm usually selective.

13 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

IMO you draft the guy at the top of your board 

I sincerely hope that Colts fans on here don't freak out if Ballard ends up drafting an Offensive lineman or tightend if/when this happens. If they are unquestionably the best left on the board (you know, CB's board not Mel Kiper) especially if a really solid defensive player is left, it isn't worth getting upset over. Stick to the process and stick to the philosophy. 

DK Metcalf, WR Ole Miss.  He is huge, chissled, and will crush the combine.  I think he ends up going top 10.  He's on the right.  That's AJ Brown on the left, who I'd love to see the Colts get at 26 or at the top of the second round.  I think he'd be a perfect complement to TY. 

AJandDK.thumb.JPG.5a418434ff54faad24b9fa11835488e1.JPG

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

The question is: Is he worth the pick at 26? I think he's definitely worth the pick at 34.

Depends who is on the board defensively, but i would not be mad at all with A.J at 26 I think he is going to produce in the league especially in our offense being able to move all over the field 

2 hours ago, CoachLite said:

The question is: Is he worth the pick at 26? I think he's definitely worth the pick at 34.

I don't think he'll rise to the first round. I wouldn't be totally adverse to him at 34.
I'd still be looking for D-Line or secondary help at 26. All depends on our free agency though.

2 hours ago, RNGDShobby said:

I don't think he'll rise to the first round. I wouldn't be totally adverse to him at 34.
I'd still be looking for D-Line or secondary help at 26. All depends on our free agency though.

It's all a crap shoot but FWIW hes been mocked in the first several times

4 hours ago, twfish said:

We are still talking about Deebo right? I haven't seen him mocked in the first on any tbh. Not surprised. He's definitely got the talent. Was hoping we'd have a shot at 59 but very very unlikely now.

6 hours ago, twfish said:

The combine will probably be the final determination where Deebo goes. The kid has some wicked moves and great hands, but not the tallest receiver in the crowd by a long shot.

2 hours ago, RNGDShobby said:

We are still talking about Deebo right? I haven't seen him mocked in the first on any tbh. Not surprised. He's definitely got the talent. Was hoping we'd have a shot at 59 but very very unlikely now.

Wow my bad, lost myself on this one lol I was thinking of aj brown

23 hours ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

DK Metcalf, WR Ole Miss.  He is huge, chissled, and will crush the combine.  I think he ends up going top 10.  He's on the right.  That's AJ Brown on the left, who I'd love to see the Colts get at 26 or at the top of the second round.  I think he'd be a perfect complement to TY. 

AJ Brown is underrated. He’s amazing in the slot and he is a deadly YAC receiver as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It still amazes me that these two guys were teammates. Their team stunk it up this year, though. Not having any D will eventually crush you. Keep that in mind as the Colts continue to build that D in the draft. Its the right way to go, and why the team may not pick a WR until later in Day 2. 

On 2/22/2019 at 8:39 AM, Dirty Mudflaps said:

There was an "all world" WR that looked like that named David Boston

EVERYONE fell in love with the muscles

The guy was not flexible........  did almost nothing in the NFL

Do you remember Laron Landry?   A "musclehead" that kept getting bigger......

good for the mirrors for a self indulged person .... not so much for football

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 10:25 AM, Hoose said:

He was just joking and taking a look at us as a whole.  All of us.  Sometimes, it is good to laugh at yourself. I took it this way and did laugh. 

But maybe he reached with that post... I hope I'm wrong...  ;-)

I don't know where these two guys are being ranked right now but I have not heard much about either so far being a high pick. 

The first is WR Diontae Johnson out of Toledo. Good release, good route runner, great kick/punt returner, and a playmaker with the ball in his hands. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go on day 2 after his combine and pro day performances, but somebody will be getting a great value pick if he doesn't.

The receiver class as a whole this year has me excited though. There are plenty of guys that aren't projected to go day 2 or higher that could end up there with solid performances in the testing period.

The second player is DE LJ Collier out of TCU. I think he can end up rising like Kemoko Turay did last year even though he may not deserve it. He is not consistent at all on tape, but the flashes of greatness he shows combined with his senior bowl performance may get some GM's moving him up their boards. Especially if he has a strong combine.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 9:12 PM, ColtStrong2013 said:

I sincerely hope that Colts fans on here don't freak out if Ballard ends up drafting an Offensive lineman or tightend if/when this happens. If they are unquestionably the best left on the board (you know, CB's board not Mel Kiper) especially if a really solid defensive player is left, it isn't worth getting upset over. Stick to the process and stick to the philosophy. 

I think the fanbase, would be concerned and surprised, if the team drafted an OL at 26, mainly if we didnt address the commonly stated by CB, the need for pass rush in FA

I do think there is a chance that depending how the board fell, we could go S, LB, WR, OT with pick 34.

9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think the fanbase, would be concerned and surprised, if the team drafted an OL at 26, mainly if we didnt address the commonly stated by CB, the need for pass rush in FA

I do think there is a chance that depending how the board fell, we could go S, LB, WR, OT with pick 34.

And again, don't freak out if it happens. Ballard is not going to draft to need. Especially if there is a nobrainer pick right in front of them, no matter the position. There may not be legit value with pass rush at 26... regardless if we bring one in through FA or not.

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

And again, don't freak out if it happens. Ballard is not going to draft to need. Especially if there is a nobrainer pick right in front of them, no matter the position. There may not be legit value with pass rush at 26... regardless if we bring one in through FA or not.

My days of "freaking out" on any topic are many years in my past........

I do think that if the player (or players) that CB wants, or tops his list ISNT available at 26, I think he would opt to trade the pick to pick up more draft capitol

The second round has some excellent value. IMHO

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I do think that if the player (or players) that CB wants, or tops his list ISNT available at 26, I think he would opt to trade the pick to pick up more draft capitol

I agree, and mentioned this elsewhere on this forum. I would prefer to trade back and have an extra top 50 pick than stick at 26 and possibly reach for less value. Just not a great spot to pick from. 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 1:44 PM, Hoose said:

The thing is with Ballard his board looks a lot different than fan boards do. He proved that last year. He had Colt fans scratching their heads and some calling him stupid and a few other choice names. What I heard last year was he was reaching too far and should have taking this player.

Other than the Nelson pick some fans were losing their minds.

As it turns out the majority of fans know very little about who Ballard will draft.

Maybe most fans will trust Ballard a little more this year?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I totally agree. Omenihu, Oruwariye, Hooker, Samuel will all be excellent value IMO. If we can turn 26 into two of those guys and grab one of the other two with 34 and and then maybe 59 plus get another pick aswell? Yummy.

On 2/21/2019 at 11:40 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

The projections I've seen have him as a 5th rounder but I think when he is a top performer in the speed and agility testing at the combine, more teams will watch his game film and he will move up to a mid 3rd rounder.

People will move up media and blog/fans boards. Very few will move up team boards.  The combine is most beneficial to HC's and GM's for the medical evaluations and the psychological testing and (15 minute only) interviews

The teams college scouts have all the tape and their prospect reports done.  GM's and HC's will review all the reports and look at some tape too.  But a Pro Day will have bigger impact than the combine; as far as measurables and the teams draft boards.

Speed and agility on game day tape in pads is more important the skill tests at the combine in gym shorts.  Now a combine speed that is significantly well above (or below) anticipated numbers gathered by game day tape, that can move a guy up or down,  but  rarely by 60+ slots.

Teams have a full time staff gathering this info as the Pro season is running.  Its when eliminated from playoffs that he HC finally gets to join the fun, but the party has been running for quite awhile before he gets there.  I once read a ProFootballWeekly article. In it was this-

"Going into the Combine, each prospect is expected to perform and run at a certain level based on their tape. Most scouts and decision-makers are very experienced at estimating what a player should be able to do. A strong workout doesn’t help a player rise up a board, but it solidifies his current spot. If he performs better than expected, his grade could go up, but it seldom goes up by much.

On the other hand, when a player's performance at the Combine falls short of expectations, it can hurt his grade. The good news for the player is that he still has a Pro Day at his school, when he can potentially make up for poor testing. The player who skips the Combine workout and then performs poorly at his Pro Day is in trouble, as he has no way to make up for the poor workout."

Today, all day on SiriusXM NFL radio, were GM's and coaches. To a man, they all indicated the interview and medical results was the most valuable info coming their way.