Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After some deliberation...

I've taken the last few mornings before I leave for work to watch various players, and I've come to a few conclusions:

1) Montez Sweat and Jachai Polite are every bit the player Rashan Gary is. Both of those guys are athletic freaks, and are great pass rushers.

2) Polite, in particular, is a strip-sack machine, and has great instincts when sacking the QB. He may be the fastest of the 3 players I'll mention here, and is never out of the play due to his insane closing-speed.

3)Montez Sweat was lined up on both the right and left ends, and has several great moves to beat opposing tackles. His stunt back to the inside, and swim moves are virtually unstoppable.

4) Don't let Gary being the #1 recruit (by some services) deter you into thinking he's a better player than Sweat or Polite. They'd all 3 be great additions, and are the pass-rushing threat that could really take this defense to the next level.

5) Jeffery Simmons, despite his off-field issues, is a machine. He was literally sent from the future to disrupt plays. He reminds me (NOT a direct comparison) of Aaron Donald in his ability to seemingly teleport into opposing backfields, and simply can't be moved off of his spot, he looks insanely strong and sure footed. 

6) Finally, it would be absolute draft-heaven if the Colts were somehow able to parlay their first 2 picks into some combination of Simmons and Sweat/Polite. I don't care how they have to do it, but that would take this defense to the next level. Guys like Malik Hooker would absolutely thrive with these guys causing that kind of disruption in opposing backfields. 

7) I. Love. This. Time. Of. Year.

• Like 6

No chance we land two of the three you mentioned. Even landing one is going to be tough. I think maybe Wilkins or lawerence will drop a bit. But to get one of the three you mentioned, a trade up would probably need to happen. Sweat might still be on board at 26 but I think he’ll test really well and stock will rise. 

23 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

No chance we land two of the three you mentioned. Even landing one is going to be tough. I think maybe Wilkins or lawerence will drop a bit. But to get one of the three you mentioned, a trade up would probably need to happen. Sweat might still be on board at 26 but I think he’ll test really well and stock will rise. 

There's a chance. Most mocks have 4 QBs going before us, a couple RB/WRs, and a few OL. That's gonna push some of these guys down a little. I think they'll have to trade up to make it happen, but don't think it's a pipedream. If I said Quinnen Williams and Bosa, then yeah I'd be dreaming. These guys are all going in the teens and 20s in most mocks, some I've seen have them in the 2nd. We'll see how it plays out.

Say they trade up, would you rather have Simmons or Sweat? I'd rather trade up to get Sweat, and use one of the 2nd round picks on Dre'Mont Jones or Jerry Tillery. Then use the other 2nd rounder on a WR or someone to bolster the secondary. 

Free agency is gonna tell a lot about their plans going forward this offseason. Hopefully they fill some holes in FA, so that we'll have a more clear picture of their draft board. 

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Say they trade up, would you rather have Simmons or Sweat? I'd rather trade up to get Sweat, and use one of the 2nd round picks on Dre'Mont Jones or Jerry Tillery. Then use the other 2nd rounder on a WR or someone to bolster the secondary. 

Free agency is gonna tell a lot about their plans going forward this offseason. Hopefully they fill some holes in FA, so that we'll have a more clear picture of their draft board. 

I'm taking Simmons if we trade up 

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'm taking Simmons if we trade up 

What about Edge? I'd say that or a super disruptive DT like Simmons would be the only way I'd be content moving up. Hopefully QBs and skill players start coming off the board, and one of the elite guys slip a little. I'd be thrilled with any of Oliver, Simmons, Sweat, Polite, Gary, or J Allen. If not, I'm all for them taking an elite difference maker at S, CB, or LB. WR, imo, is too deep to spend either of the first 2 picks on it. 

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

What about Edge? I'd say that or a super disruptive DT like Simmons would be the only way I'd be content moving up. Hopefully QBs and skill players start coming off the board, and one of the elite guys slip a little. I'd be thrilled with any of Oliver, Simmons, Sweat, Polite, Gary, or J Allen. If not, I'm all for them taking an elite difference maker at S, CB, or LB. WR, imo, is too deep to spend either of the first 2 picks on it. 

I'm not sure about edge players I am high on Turay so I think he will be even better next year the other end idk maybe just put Autry there for another season and try again next year maybe get a FA there for a year or 2 who knows 

5 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

There's a LOT of good Dline prospects in this draft. Someone will drop, as they always do.

I can see Ballard doubling down on Dline prospects with his first two picks, like he did last year for the Oline. 

Yeah, but there's only probably 5-7 that are elite options, ones that I'd legit be excited about them taking at 26. At a certain point I'd rather they went with an elite player at another, less coveted, position of need. 

But yeah, I totally agree that he will double down on D-line players if the right ones are there. 

• Like 1

I haven’t had a chance to watch much of Polite yet...so I will take a look.

Gary might be my favorite player in this draft. His closing speed looks like something out of a video game. 

This DL group is just loaded. I know at least one of them will be a Colt by the end of Day Two.

On 1/24/2019 at 8:52 AM, pacolts56 said:

Could a packaging of Brissett and one of our 2nd round picks help put us in range for any 2 of these top DLs?

In all likelihood Jacoby walks in FA next year.

Just wondering. :dunno:

I think we could move up into the teens possibly, which should be enough to land one of the 3. I'd be ecstatic with any of the 3. It would literally take this defense to the next level having a guy that could cause that much disruption in opposing backfields. Please, Baby Jesus! 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 12:11 PM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I've taken the last few mornings before I leave for work to watch various players, and I've come to a few conclusions:

1) Montez Sweat and Jachai Polite are every bit the player Rashan Gary is. Both of those guys are athletic freaks, and are great pass rushers.

2) Polite, in particular, is a strip-sack machine, and has great instincts when sacking the QB. He may be the fastest of the 3 players I'll mention here, and is never out of the play due to his insane closing-speed.

3)Montez Sweat was lined up on both the right and left ends, and has several great moves to beat opposing tackles. His stunt back to the inside, and swim moves are virtually unstoppable.

4) Don't let Gary being the #1 recruit (by some services) deter you into thinking he's a better player than Sweat or Polite. They'd all 3 be great additions, and are the pass-rushing threat that could really take this defense to the next level.

5) Jeffery Simmons, despite his off-field issues, is a machine. He was literally sent from the future to disrupt plays. He reminds me (NOT a direct comparison) of Aaron Donald in his ability to seemingly teleport into opposing backfields, and simply can't be moved off of his spot, he looks insanely strong and sure footed. 

6) Finally, it would be absolute draft-heaven if the Colts were somehow able to parlay their first 2 picks into some combination of Simmons and Sweat/Polite. I don't care how they have to do it, but that would take this defense to the next level. Guys like Malik Hooker would absolutely thrive with these guys causing that kind of disruption in opposing backfields. 

7) I. Love. This. Time. Of. Year.

Do you think they've given up on the two guys they drafted last year? I know they want someone(s), but to use our top two picks after we used 2 second rounders on those guys seems awfully aggressive.  I am not sure how many team have a first rounder and 3 second rounders at DE, so maybe it will happen.  I think we need more help at Corner, WR and possibly at TE even with our guy returning, he's been torn up a lot.  I wouldn't even be shocked at another o-lineman if the right one is available in those spots. 

Good info though, thanks for sharing your research!