Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck's Touch Passes

Caffrey

This is my observation.  It seem like during our first few games, he was still getting used to his post injury feel.  He was playing conservative with quick release short passes with an occasional mid range pass, and rare if any deep passes.

The first hail mary at the end of the half, Reich put J. Brissett to throw that 60+ yarder, creating further having questions about his shoulder.  Luck remained politically correct in his post-game interview.  When Luck was kept in for the hail mary, at the end of the half, I think it was the very next game, it was about midfield and I'm not exactly sure but I think he threw that pass about 53-55 yards in the air.  I think if he wanted too, he could have thrown it farther because he threw it a little higher than normal to allow the receivers  to get under it.  Although it was incomplete, I felt good that he could throw it that far if needed, and probably a little farther.  

TOUCH PASSES!  What I've noticed over the past 3-4 weeks, he seems to much more comfortable and confident in his shoulder and passing.  I see him throwing intentional soft touch passes that drop in for the catch to the open receiver, and these are not short passes but mid range to long passes.  Remember, he was not throwing long passes early in the season.  He is now playing at a high level and he seems to be getting better every game, not mentally as he already has the mental game,  but physically in his shoulder/passing.  Kind of like a kid in the candy store, now that he got his game back, can't wait for the next play to make up for all the fun he has been missing. This also makes our run game better and vice versa.

• Like 2

Another thing I’ve noticed, and I may be alone in this, but his foot work looks better. He’s always throwing from the best possible base. Of course, it helps that defenses aren’t all over him anymore. I just notice he’s quick to reset his feet and throw from good platforms. I’ve also noticed he’s dang good at throwing while rolling to his left. He had a few plays this past weekend that showcased that. Beautiful zip. That shoulder is great!

53 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

Another thing I’ve noticed, and I may be alone in this, but his foot work looks better. He’s always throwing from the best possible base. Of course, it helps that defenses aren’t all over him anymore. I just notice he’s quick to reset his feet and throw from good platforms. I’ve also noticed he’s dang good at throwing while rolling to his left. He had a few plays this past weekend that showcased that. Beautiful zip. That shoulder is great!

You certainly aren't alone. His footwork has vastly improved. His dropbacks are shorter, and somehow he's even managed to improve his pocket awareness, something that was already a strength in the past. 

Luck has always been good at throwing on the run, but he has some beautiful passes while running lately. 

I can't remember the exact game (within the last 3 weeks) but he evaded the pass rush stepped up a little and threw a absolute perfect pass to TY on the left sideline while he was running and kind of jumped a little. It was right over the defender and right into TY's hands. It was incredible. 

I've been noticing Luck's accuracy lately as well. TY makes everything seem effortless, but it's almost like all he has to do is open his hands and the ball is right there. It's insane how in sync Luck and TY are. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

As long as Ballard is here I believe this team wont fall behind for years on end like they did for the last 4-5 years as long as we keep adding young players that are good players this team should be good for years to come.

Although playing at a very high level Luck is still good for that ONE boneheaded throw each game. I'm not sure if its that still trying to do everything he can because he has had that team  is on his shoulders mentality. 

I have said all season that Luck, although a veteran, we needed to understand that after the surgery and setbacks especially mentally we would see some rookie like mistakes and we have seen those. He had to adjust to not running for his life, having a defense, having a knows what its like to be a quarteback coach , and the feeling of the repaired arm. 

He has done great and we have seen him get better all year he just has to get rid of those plays. All I can say though is the AFC has to be scared now.