Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Another Season of Slow Starts?

King Colt

14 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

No. Just stop the excuses. You have a "mediocre" mind set. Jim doesn't agree with you when he says he's building the team for multiple championships with luck. Did he say that with Manning? No. He simply assumed that under Manning he would compete for multiple titles in the big game. 

This is supported by the fact the Colts never gave Peyton much help on the defensive side but focused more on the offensive side of player acquisition.

You do realize that winning championships in any sport has a lot to do with luck(not the QB) and little to do with the talent assembled

38 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

You do realize that winning championships in any sport has a lot to do with luck(not the QB) and little to do with the talent assembled

No comment. There is a reason why the Miami Hurricanes, Alabama, Clemson, LSU, USC, FSU, Pats, Steelers, Packers are winners.

Put it like this, As a Hurricane, Its National Championship or bust every year. in the words of Michael Irvin "It's a canes thang" and many people wouldn't understand. I see that some people are completely content with 2nd place. I cant believe some people would make excuses for there lack of success. Is this the Colts way? If we win we win, if we lose then at least we gave it a good try? yikes I never knew the fan base was like that. Even the Miami Dolfans (naively) believe that their going to the Superbowl EVERY year. lol

in the words of Mike Singletary "I WANT WINNERS". I believe the greats have this mind set (TB12, AR, etc.) and they hate the feeling of losing more than the gratification of winning. Excuse me for having the first place or else approach. But I would never make up an excuse or say it was luck that we won. that sounds crazy. Would NE, Eagles even Seattle say it was Luck that they won? That sounds like a losers mindset. I got my "wife/girlfriend by luck"? I cant wrap my mind around such thought. 

Go and tell coach Reicht that he and the Eagles won by Luck against NE. Im sure he would say you know what.. You are right. smh

3 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

No comment. There is a reason why the Miami Hurricanes, Alabama, Clemson, LSU, USC, FSU, Pats, Steelers, Packers are winners.

Put it like this, As a Hurricane, Its National Championship or bust every year. in the words of Michael Irvin "It's a canes thang" and many people wouldn't understand. I see that some people are completely content with 2nd place. I cant believe some people would make excuses for there lack of success. Is this the Colts way? If we win we win, if we lose then at least we gave it a good try? yikes I never knew the fan base was like that. Even the Miami Dolfans (naively) believe that their going to the Superbowl EVERY year. lol

Those teams you mentioned have had loooong stretches of mediocrity and even now they do not win or even compete for Titles every year 

In Indiana we know something about “crazy” fans

I know of people who have run for school board just to remove a coach for minor reasons

I am a realist

25 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

in the words of Mike Singletary "I WANT WINNERS". I believe the greats have this mind set (TB12, AR, etc.) and they hate the feeling of losing more than the gratification of winning. Excuse me for having the first place or else approach. But I would never make up an excuse or say it was luck that we won. that sounds crazy. Would NE, Eagles even Seattle say it was Luck that they won? That sounds like a losers mindset. I got my "wife/girlfriend by luck"? I cant wrap my mind around such thought. 

Go and tell coach Reicht that he and the Eagles won by Luck against NE. Im sure he would say you know what.. You are right. smh

Considering Miami's last championship was 2001, that's a lot of busts over the past years... 

What are we supposed to say about the team? Should we all scream up at the clouds when the team loses? Throw fits? Make threads about firing everyone after every loss?

For a lot of us, the "Indiana Way" is that we can't control what the team does on the field. We are fans. We can only make observations and then decide whether we support the team or not. Sorry you don't like the way it is here in the Midwest, but that's how things are. Living in negativity is a pretty dark way to go through life. 

16 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Considering Miami's last championship was 2001, that's a lot of busts over the past years... 

What are we supposed to say about the team? Should we all scream up at the clouds when the team loses? Throw fits? Make threads about firing everyone after every loss?

For a lot of us, the "Indiana Way" is that we can't control what the team does on the field. We are fans. We can only make observations and then decide whether we support the team or not. Sorry you don't like the way it is here in the Midwest, but that's how things are. Living in negativity is a pretty dark way to go through life. 

huh? ok. I have never once said fire anyone. not even Pagano or Grigs. Its something called a winning culture and attitude. Its starts there. Not stating if we win we win. Why even show up to practice or a game for that matter? Just stay home when we play the upper echelon teams. And say man "I Hope we could beat them" and "If we beat them, it would be based on luck" and not preparation.

Losers need luck. winners rely on preparation and initiative. 

2 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

huh? ok. I have never once said fire anyone. not even Pagano or Grigs. Its something called a winning culture and attitude. Its starts there. Not stating if we win we win. Why even show up to practice or a game for that matter? Just stay home when we play the upper echelon teams. And say man "I Hope we could beat them" and "If we beat them, it would be based on luck" and not preparation.

Losers need luck. winners rely on preparation and initiative. 

Do you seriously think professional players are thinking this based off of some fan website? 

A good deal of posters here aren't afraid to admit the team is not good and has not been good for some time. You will find that a good portion of Colts fans have high expectations each season. That doesn't mean they thrash the Colts when they lose. It's more about disappointment and being realistic. At the end of the day, if the Colts lose, it's healthier to say, "well that sucked... oh well". If this is what you are trying to convey then, yes I agree with you. 

Trust me, the players, especially the good ones on this team, believe each and every week they can win. That mentality is how they got to the NFL in the first place. Their coaches have the same mindset. 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Do you seriously think professional players are thinking this based off of some fan website? 

A good deal of posters here aren't afraid to admit the team is not good and has not been good for some time. You will find that a good portion of Colts fans have high expectations each season. That doesn't mean they thrash the Colts when they lose. It's more about disappointment and being realistic. At the end of the day, if the Colts lose, it's healthier to say, "well that sucked... oh well". If this is what you are trying to convey then, yes I agree with you. 

Trust me, the players, especially the good ones on this team, believe each and every week they can win. That mentality is how they got to the NFL in the first place. Their coaches have the same mindset. 

Like I said prior, Just tell coach Reicht that he beat the Pats based on luck and that it wouldn't matter if they won or lost its just a game at the end of the day. No need to be down in the dumps. He might walk away from you because it is disrespectful to call winners lucky. It totally discredits their hard work. But hey, What do i know? I live in a dark and gloomy town called South Beach where its hot as dragon ball z.

3 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Like I said prior, Just tell coach Reicht that he beat the Pats based on luck and that it wouldn't matter if they won or lost its just a game at the end of the day. No need to be down in the dumps. He might walk away from you because it is disrespectful to call winners lucky. It totally discredits their hard work. But hey, What do i know? I live in a dark and gloomy town called South Beach where its hot as dragon ball z.

Oh I'm not going there with the luck thing. That part I don't agree with so that's between you and Princeton to figure out. I actually side with you in that aspect about hard work, planning and sheer talent.

My point, is that there is a winning culture in the Colts organization, even if it's hard see. And that as a fan, I don't have that much control over what happens on the field. The players and coaches can be as upset as they want if they lose. It's their job to win games, so sure, they can be angry about it. 

I just don't understand why posters who stay grounded, realistic and less emotional need to be called out as if they support a "losing culture". 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Oh I'm not going there with the luck thing. That part I don't agree with so that's between you and Princeton to figure out. I actually side with you in that aspect about hard work, planning and sheer talent.

My point, is that there is a winning culture in the Colts organization, even if it's hard see. And that as a fan, I don't have that much control over what happens on the field. The players and coaches can be as upset as they want if they lose. It's their job to win games, so sure, they can be angry about it. 

I just don't understand why posters who stay grounded, realistic and less emotional need to be called out as if they support a "losing culture". 

No. Mr@Princeton is a great guy. No hard feelings at all. 

but to make my point, here is an exurb from the Ravens coach Jim Harbrough

You play the game to win,” Harbaugh said. “I don’t care where you play, when you play. There’s a scoreboard up there and you keep score. We’re trying to win the game. But we’re trying to win the game within certain parameters. We’re trying to stay healthy. We’re trying to get guys what they need to get ready for the regular season.”

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/news-notes-8-28-winning-in-the-preseason-matters-to-12-0-ravens

My only point is that I appreciate teams that desires to win no matter what (Alabama, Clemson, FSU, LSU, Miami,etc..). I want to get used to winning and more importantly, I want to win the big games!

1 minute ago, Rackeen305 said:

No. Mr@Princeton is a great guy. No hard feelings at all. 

but to make my point, here is an exurb from the Ravens coach Jim Harbrough

You play the game to win,” Harbaugh said. “I don’t care where you play, when you play. There’s a scoreboard up there and you keep score. We’re trying to win the game. But we’re trying to win the game within certain parameters. We’re trying to stay healthy. We’re trying to get guys what they need to get ready for the regular season.”

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/news-notes-8-28-winning-in-the-preseason-matters-to-12-0-ravens

My only point is that I appreciate teams that desires to win no matter what (Alabama, Clemson, FSU, LSU, Miami,etc..). I want to get used to winning and more importantly, I want to win the big games!

No worries, I get you. And I got a flashback to ole' Herm Edwards, ha!

I think Reich will bring this mentality into the regular season. We will see, but he does carry a cool confidence with him and expectations. 

Just now, RollerColt said:

No worries, I get you. And I got a flashback to ole' Herm Edwards, ha!

I think Reich will bring this mentality into the regular season. We will see, but he does carry a cool confidence with him and expectations. 

I totally forgot that there's a Colts game tonight! so let me ask the question (Oh ohhhh) does it matter if we win or lose?

I say player health/development is the ultimate win considering we have a young roster. But to be fair, The win will tell us a lot about coaching as well.

• * Were we out coached?
  • *Did we make the wise decision of punting or going for the PAT instead of 2 pts?
  • *Did we convert on 3rd/4th down?
  • *Did we have many bonehead penalties?

These kind of scenarios are key to having a successful seasons 

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

When I said luck I was referring to the way things fall

I will use a couple of examples from Princeton Lore

In 1993 the Princeton went 8-0 but drew Evansville Memorial who was under .500 but played in a big school conference

If the draw had gone differently PCHS might have gone deep

In 2015-2016 the Princeton Community Lady Tiger Basketball Team were coming off a State Title, were 27-0 and featured the Miss Basketball and National Player of the Year(many Princetonians, including me, already had plans to go to Indianapolis) but they were upset in the 2nd Round of Sectional by a team they had beat because of stall ball

4 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

I totally forgot that there's a Colts game tonight! so let me ask the question (Oh ohhhh) does it matter if we win or lose?

I say player health/development is the ultimate win considering we have a young roster. But to be fair, The win will tell us a lot about coaching as well.

• * Were we out coached?
  • *Did we make the wise decision of punting or going for the PAT instead of 2 pts?
  • *Did we convert on 3rd/4th down?
  • *Did we have many bonehead penalties?

These kind of scenarios are key to having a successful seasons 

History tells me that if tonight is like any of the past Bengals-Colts preseason games, it will be pretty much a dud. 

On a personal level, I'll barely be watching the actual scoreboard. My eyes are going to be fixed on the lines, probably at RT just to see what happens tonight. 

Others have noted Fountain could have a big night. 

I'd like a win tonight, but I'd really like a win the week after. I have too many relatives who are Bengals fans, and a loss to them to start the season, well... would suck majorly! 

3 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

No. Just stop the excuses. You have a "mediocre" mind set. Jim doesn't agree with you when he says he's building the team for multiple championships with luck. Did he say that with Manning? No. He simply assumed that under Manning he would compete for multiple titles in the big game. 

This is supported by the fact the Colts never gave Peyton much help on the defensive side but focused more on the offensive side of player acquisition.

I don't have to stop anything. It's called being reasonable. And, being happy with the success that comes your way. 

25 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

If we graded team success on Preseason records TD, PM, BP and others would had a short stay in Indy

But yet that's what some in here want to do. Not saying this current roster will ever reach that level of play but dang, give them a chance to show what they can do in a real game