Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Have no idea ifthis was Irsays twitter answer on why team left Balt but great anyway

bayone

Hey they wouldn't build him a stadium and instead were going to communize his team with a public takeover. He would have lost hundreds of millions if not billions considering future value. I am always against teams moving, but I feel this is the one time it was justified. The Colts FRANCHISE will reside here in Indy hopefully forever, and that includes all of it's history. Haven't we been the Indianapolis Colts of the NFL longer than the Baltimore Colts were an NFL team in Baltimore already?

Hey they wouldn't build him a stadium and instead were going to communize his team with a public takeover. He would have lost hundreds of millions if not billions considering future value. I am always against teams moving, but I feel this is the one time it was justified. The Colts FRANCHISE will reside here in Indy hopefully forever, and that includes all of it's history. Haven't we been the Indianapolis Colts of the NFL longer than the Baltimore Colts were an NFL team in Baltimore already?

We have some Baltimore Colts fans here so they'll correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Colts have to be in Indy for another 15 years or so in order to be here longer than they were in Baltimore.

We have some Baltimore Colts fans here so they'll correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Colts have to be in Indy for another 15 years or so in order to be here longer than they were in Baltimore.

Well, the Colts have been in Indy since '84, so that's what, 27 years?

Having not looked it up, my recollection is that the Colts were in Baltimore beginning in about 1953. So, that would make it 31 years.

If I'm right, it's close, but not yet.

Wiki says the Baltimore Colts actually started in 1947-50 disbanded then came back in 1953-1983.

Yes but I was talking NFL. They played in the AFL for some time. We have played longer in the NFL than Baltimore did, and we are about to pass them up for total time as a football team here in 5 to 10 years.

Following the season, the NFL awarded the remains of the Texans operation to a Baltimore-based group headed by Carroll Rosenbloom, who used it to start the Baltimore Colts. The NFL does not consider the Colts (now based in Indianapolis) to be a continuation of the Yanks/Bulldogs/Yankees/Texans franchise, or even the Dayton Triangles for that matter considering that franchise's successor, the Brooklyn Dodgers/Tigers, merged with the Yanks in 1945. As a result, the Texans remain the last NFL team to permanently cease operations and not be included in the lineage of any current team.

that's interesting the team's lineage actually dates back to the dayton triangles, a team that started nfl play in 1920

What do you know about the former NFL team the Evansville Crimson Giants? We had the original NFL team in the state. Too bad poor planning dayumed this city to mediocrity. I remember years ago some guy was talking about moving the Colts here and got a little publicity. An NFL team could never make it here. I don't know how true it is but I heard we lost our IHL hockey team for our new arena already.

• 3 weeks later...

The colts were beloved in baltimore.

Yeah, that's the reason for 20,000 attendance per game in 1883 in the OLD Municipal Stadium. dayum place still had troughs for urinals in the restrooms. Baltimore voters turned down building new stadium in a referendum. Seems the Colts were not as beloved as Bob was behated...

Want some REAL irony? When the Colts came here in 1984 they set up camp at Anderson University. And the mascot for the AU ? THE RAVENS ! ! !...

Now 'at rat thar, 'at's funny, 'at rat thar is....

Yeah, that's the reason for 20,000 attendance per game in 1883 in the OLD Municipal Stadium. dayum place still had troughs for urinals in the restrooms. Baltimore voters turned down building new stadium in a referendum. Seems the Colts were not as beloved as Bob was behated...

Want some REAL irony? When the Colts came here in 1984 they set up camp at Anderson University. And the mascot for the AU ? THE RAVENS ! ! !...

Yes your right, but any franchise that was that inept would have trouble getting big crowds.Bob irsay was a terrible owner and they played in a outdated stadium.I think irsay wanted a new stadium and just took off for indy.On another note,would the colts have ever made it to indy if elway had not spurned them?We will never know but that sure changed that franchises future.

How about this - Baltimore ... took (my buddies in Ohio say 'stole') two Browns teams. The Cleveland Browns and the St. Louis Browns.

How about this - Baltimore ... took (my buddies in Ohio say 'stole') two Browns teams. The Cleveland Browns and the St. Louis Browns.

Yeah, runs in my mind that the St. Louis Browns went to Baltimore to become the Orioles about 1954 or so. About the time I started High School..

Awesome points you make. Irsay owns the team; I would have moved them too. A team is a business.

As far as the Hall of Fame is concerned, I understand that they have moved the Baltimore Colts displays near the Baltimore Ravens. Wrong move. Unitas and Smith were Colts, not Ravens.

Also, if the announcers at Baltimore refuse to announce the Indianapolis Colts, the Colts should respond in kind when the NFL team from Baltimore comes to Indy for games.

I'm a lifelong NJ resident and lifelong Colts fan who has rooted for them regardless of city, so I can see it a little differently.

I was very upset when they moved, and I feel sorry for all the fans who had their team yanked out from under them, but even if I had lived in Baltimore I could never have allowed my love to turn to hate. You can detest Robert Irsay - one of the worst owners ever - without turning against your own team. There are still New Yorkers who turn up at Mets games to root for the Dodgers after 50+ years. I don't understand the dark resentment evident in Baltimore to this day, nor the hypocrisy considering where the Ravens came from. The Colts should be every Baltimore fans second favorite team.

And yes, Elway was a factor. As were a couple of dozen other moronic decisions. Memorial Stadium was just as much a dump in 1976, but with one of the best teams in the league (and an MVP quarterback) the fans still came. Think about what Indy would be like circa 2020 if they still played in the dome (without Peyton or Polian, and if Jim Irsay morphed into his father). I think there would be 20 people in the stands and other cities would come calling. How would you feel about that?

Indy had every right to seek a team. And after 27 years they are as entrenched and beloved in Indiana as they ever were in Maryland. It would be nice, however, if Indiana fans didn't feel the need to insult Maryland fans regarding the Colts. You have the team, what fight are you trying to win exactly? Just let them be.