Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Todd McShay's Way Too Early 2019 Mock Draft.....

Right up front I should say this is McShay's LEAST favorite assisgnment.    He says it every year.    But he gets assisgned the lask the week after the draft....   it's been out now for nearly a week...    it's behind a Pay Wall, so I can't link it....     I can share some of the info,  but just the highlights...

First up,  it's Pro Football Outsiders who forecast the order of the draft,  and they have us picking 6th overall.    McShay forecasts the Colts taking the top corner, "Greedy" Williams from LSU.    He looked at our defense, saw the one area where we need help, and gave us Williams. 

He has 11 Defensive Lineman going in to the top 32....   just over 1/3 of the round.    It's a near historically great class of DT's and DE's....    I'm confident Ballard is going to want one of them.    Maybe even two from this class.    I'd forecast Ballard will take one in the first round.    Not sure if it matters today whether that will be a DE or a DT.    He'll want one.

And he only has two QB's going in the first.   Locke from Missouri and Herbert from Oregon .    Says he's not sold on any of them just yet....    I'm very much in that camp.

Also....   just 3 WR's taken in the first next year,  with the first coming outside the top-10.

• Like 2

I think we picked the wrong year to suck. Next year there is some amazing defensive talent at the top of the draft. Ed Oliver, Nick Bosa, Gary, all the Clemson linemen... some OTs... hell there are even some potential no. 1 receivers in this class unlike this current draft class. 

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think we picked the wrong year to suck. Next year there is some amazing defensive talent at the top of the draft. Ed Oliver, Nick Bosa, Gary, all the Clemson linemen... some OTs... hell there are even some potential no. 1 receivers in this class unlike this current draft class. 

You're probably right....

But at least Ballard will start the process with 10 draft picks.   By next spring we will have a much better idea of Andrew Luck and also Jacoby Brissett.     We will have a better idea of our defense.     We will know that the light at the end of the tunnel is NOT an oncoming train....

I see 6-10 to 8-8 this year....     I see a winning record and maybe even a wild card bid in 2019....

And I see a team that few want to play against in 2020.     We might be seriously good by then.     Seriously good!

So far I will say next year just looks like a better draft.  The O-line guys look good with more Tackles as bookend types versus this year.  The D side all around looks like a solid group.  Building a solid team through the draft looks promising.

22 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

So far I will say next year just looks like a better draft.  The O-line guys look good with more Tackles as bookend types versus this year.  The D side all around looks like a solid group.  Building a solid team through the draft looks promising.

Yeah, that's why I wanted us to get a future first rounder from one of the QB hungry teams for trading down - because they would very likely start a rookie QB who's not ready to win right now and end up with a high pick.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Right up front I should say this is McShay's LEAST favorite assisgnment.    He says it every year.    But he gets assisgned the lask the week after the draft....   it's been out now for nearly a week...    it's behind a Pay Wall, so I can't link it....     I can share some of the info,  but just the highlights...

First up,  it's Pro Football Outsiders who forecast the order of the draft,  and they have us picking 6th overall.    McShay forecasts the Colts taking the top corner, "Greedy" Williams from LSU.    He looked at our defense, saw the one area where we need help, and gave us Williams. 

He has 11 Defensive Lineman going in to the top 32....   just over 1/3 of the round.    It's a near historically great class of DT's and DE's....    I'm confident Ballard is going to want one of them.    Maybe even two from this class.    I'd forecast Ballard will take one in the first round.    Not sure if it matters today whether that will be a DE or a DT.    He'll want one.

And he only has two QB's going in the first.   Locke from Missouri and Herbert from Oregon .    Says he's not sold on any of them just yet....    I'm very much in that camp.

Also....   just 3 WR's taken in the first next year,  with the first coming outside the top-10.

I know that McShay dislikes doing this mock so early and he is right, imo, but picking a cb that high in a draft with a lot of really good Dline prospects seems odd.  Maybe Williams is the next Revis, if so then fine, but picking for a need that high is not the best way of drafting, again imo.  We will see how it plays out, but I tend to agree with you that Ballard is more likely going to go with one of the Dlinemen if the Colts are picking that high again.  Heck, several members of this board seem to believe that the Colts will be picking number one.

• Like 1

Really hope Ballard is able to get one of those stud DT prospects in next year’s draft. DE we hopefully should be fine with drafting Turay and Lewis and already having Basham, Sheard, and the fella from Oakland who’s name is escaping me. We need our Fletcher Cox for this DL. 

9 hours ago, stitches said:

Look at it this way, with our extra second rounder, we probably still get good quality players in a deep draft. If we get better faster and draft past the middle of the round, that would mean our new coaches and/or players are probably living up to expectations. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Yeah, that's why I wanted us to get a future first rounder from one of the QB hungry teams for trading down - because they would very likely start a rookie QB who's not ready to win right now and end up with a high pick.

Oh I agree.  It would have been nice to get the Cards or Dolphins to do that swap.  We still have some good draft capital for this and you never know what moves could still happen.

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

McShay has us picking a corner based on his perceived need for the Colts.  Ballard is not going to pick just based on need.  He's looking at BPA.  He's going to have a lot of great prospects to choose from. I think we will be just fine. 

Yup.....

Honestly,  I always feel terrible for Todd on this assignment.....   he knows he's got little shot at getting this close to right.    He's looked at very little film of these guys....    he literally has like 3 days to figure this out.     He's throwing guesses at a wall and seeing what sticks, if anything.

If you didn't follow the Colts closely and didn't know that Ballard has made it clear that a top CB is not needed in this defense,  then a pick of the best corner in the class would make perfect sense.     Probably a year from now, McShaw will have more info about the Colts to work with.    But now, he's in a dark closet and he can't see clearly.    And he knows it.

I have us taking a corner in the 2nd round next year....    along with another LB....    I  think if we get 3 more playmakers for our defense in the draft,  with perhaps one or two targeted guys in free agency,  our 2019 defense might have some real teeth....

• Like 1

If you go by what Ballard did in the last two drafts in round 1 - you gotta think he'll take the BPA. 

Next year I think our draft will include some DT and DE talent. Maybe an OT if the right guy comes along. We have 2 second round picks as well.