Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Position of Concern

5 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

I totally understand the Colts need OL/LB/DB help. Some have even stated the Colts need help at WR/DE (When we have Sheard/Anderson/ new Dlineman from Oakland). However, We just lost Hankerson at the DT. My question is, Who's playing DT???

Ridgeway, Henry Anderson, Grover Stewart, Al Woods.  Still have Margus Hunt  along with Denico Autry who will play DT on passing downs.   Still expect us to add at least one more guy in the draft.   As of right now I think Ridgeway is going to take over at 3 technique.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Ridgeway, Henry Anderson, Grover Stewart, Al Woods.  Still have Margus Hunt  along with Denico Autry who will play DT on passing downs.   Still expect us to add at least one more guy in the draft.   As of right now I think Ridgeway is going to take over at 3 technique.

If the Colts are switching to 4-3, We need two DTs. Marcus Hunt/Autry/Anderson are primarily DEs. Coming out of college Ridgeway/Grover Stewart played DT but in the pros both have limited experience at the DT (Because Handerson/Al Woods were the starting DT in 2017). So Yes, We need to protect 12 at all cost which is why Ballard signed Mewhort and a 32 year old lineman. Since we haven't signed any other DTs in FA, Remember the days of old when teams would run for nearly 180+ yards/game. I feel like if we don't get the DT position addressed correctly, teams like the PATS/PITTS/ even J'ville will be smiling from ear to ear once again. Just my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

If the Colts are switching to 4-3, We need two DTs. Marcus Hunt/Autry/Anderson are primarily DEs. Coming out of college Ridgeway/Grover Stewart played DT but in the pros both have limited experience at the DT (Because Handerson/Al Woods were the starting DT in 2017). So Yes, We need to protect 12 at all cost which is why Ballard signed Mewhort and a 32 year old lineman. Since we haven't signed any other DTs in FA, Remember the days of old when teams would run for nearly 180+ yards/game. I feel like if we don't get the DT position addressed correctly, teams like the PATS/PITTS/ even J'ville will be smiling from ear to ear once again. Just my opinion. 

Autry primarily played as an interior pass rusher in Oakland. He had 6 sacks in limited snaps.  Margus Hunt can rush from anywhere on the field.  He actually hasn't been all that successful rushing from the outside.  He gets more pressure from the interior to me.  Ridgeway I think most certainly starts at the 3 technique.  He had 3 sacks last year in very limited snaps. I think we will primarily see Ridgeway and Autry on passing downs.    I feel certain we are going to draft somebody else though to add to the mix.

34 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

DE in the previous system is no where near the same position as DE in the system that we will be running.  Alot of the same traits desired for our previous DE spots will be wanted and needed for DT in the new system.  We are actually pretty dang stacked at DT right now even without Hankins.  DE though the roster is bare for talent at that spot.  

48 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Think of it in terms of 1/3/5 technique lineups.  There is also 0, 2 and 4, but the 1/3/5 are the most commonly termed by scouting reports you'll see online because the 2 and 4 techniques are misunderstood quite often and guys generally line up in gaps as opposed to head on, even NTs.  Suffice it to say, the 1 tech is shaded to the Center's left or right.  The 3 technique is shaded to the Guard's outside shoulder, and the 5 tech is on the outside of the OTs shoulder. DT in a 4-3 is similar to a DE in a 3-4, they predominantly line up in the 3 tech.  But depending on your formation on that particular play, a DT could line up anywhere from the weakside 1 tech to the strong side 4 tech (i.e. 4-3 "over" where the OLB lines up outside of the TE on the strong side).  Their are distinctive traits that scouts look for when they belong to a team with a 4-3 or 3-4 (i.e. a starter in a 4-3 might be a rotational player in a 3-4 and vice versa), and we haven't even gotten into hybrids and sub-packages.

All this is to say that there are overlapping responsibilities between interior defensive lineman, whatever you call them.  If they aren't guys who hold the edge or rush the passer off the edge as their primary responsibility, then you can find ways to fit them into our scheme regardless of whether it's a 3-4 or 4-3.  But the distinctive difference is in the types of players that you use with more regularity and what his or her strengths are.  That's why Jonathan Hankins wasn't a fit for our defense going forward.  He was a better space-eater than he was pass rusher (what a 3-4 looks for).  But while, a two-gapping DL is good for any defense,the 4-3 places more emphasis on interior rush (if for no other reason than we have one less big bodied pass rusher between the tackles) and that wasn't Hankins strength.  Hankins was essentially rendered a 4-3 rotational player thet second Eberflus came aboard.  So Ballard had to make a call on whether we'd keep a guy at his salary when we could "moneyball" it and get the same (or even better) production from a cheaper player or even a replacement in the draft.

• Like 1

All I have to say is, I hope we get a gem in the draft that plays DT. Though some may say we "have" players at the DT Spot. I can't say that anyone we currently have is a proven grade B/C or better player at DT. 

Or its back to 200+ yrds/game rushing for opponents. And we don't have a Bob the builder to save the day. 

I am very confident Ridgeway will be a stud for us and that our D-Line is still very solid and if our secondary can mesh and play well that we have a top 15 D Wilson is a stud and Hairston will shut down the slot add an ILB and we are all around solid losing Melvin and Hankins saved us money and allows us to focus on our young guys who are on cheap contracts as of now

13 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Ridgeway and Woods are the presumed starters. It may be possible for the Colts to get a guy like Hurst, Bryan, or Hill in the draft.

What are you thinking is done with Henry Anderson? 

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

What are you thinking is done with Henry Anderson? 

I think they will try him at 3tech along with Ridgeway and Stewart and the one that looks best will probably get the starting spot... unless we go for a 3tech high in the draft(round 1-2)... 

22 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

I totally understand the Colts need OL/LB/DB help. Some have even stated the Colts need help at WR/DE (When we have Sheard/Anderson/ new Dlineman from Oakland). However, We just lost Hankerson at the DT. My question is, Who's playing DT???

DE is a need, you know we were second to last in sacks last year and have not added any edge rushers that will make much impact

that guy from oakland has 10 career sacks in 4 seasons.  anderson is 300 pounds, hes not a 4-3 De, and has 3 career sacks

• Like 2