Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I dont think it has anything to do with the scheme. I think there is something we dont really know about that the Colts have learned if Hankins and this was a message to the rest of the locker room.

He played 3 tech last year and was essentially going to play the same position. He also was very solid and I personally felt he was a very good addition. 

The only way this makes any sense is if there were other issues that might not be public.

If we were going to cut Hankins over the money then why didn't we do it 10 days ago so we'd have more money to spend on the most important part of fre agency?

The money was the deadline, but not the real reason.

Hankins doesn't like the 4-3.   He didntblinr it in New York.   We tried to trade him and got no takers.   With a deadline, we cut him.    Disappointing.

But you know Ballard, he only wants you if you're going to be all in.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If we were going to cut Hankins over the money then why didn't we do it 10 days ago so we'd have more money to spend on the most important part of fre agency?

Hankins doesn't like the 4-3.   He didntblinr it in New York.   We tried to trade him and got no takers.   With a deadline, we cut him.    Disappointing.

An admirable quality but it could come back to bite him

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Perhaps....   ad it might bite him here...   but he's been in the NFL for a long, long time...   I trust his judgement.

As do I. I'll admit I'm a tad underwhelmed by FA so far, but my trust in Ballard has always been his thoroughness with scouting players and his ability to maneuver in the draft, which we'll hopefully be seeing here. He's too smart to just say 'no' to FA completely.

32 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

As do I. I'll admit I'm a tad underwhelmed by FA so far, but my trust in Ballard has always been his thoroughness with scouting players and his ability to maneuver in the draft, which we'll hopefully be seeing here. He's too smart to just say 'no' to FA completely.

I'd love to sit down with Ballard for 20 minutes.    I have so many questions I want asked and I don't trust the Indy media to ask them.     This FA period as been as bizarre as I could possibly imagine.    

I appreciate not wanting to pay too much on the giant contracts.     But Mathiue signed for 1 year and 7 mill.     Maybe he would't have with us because we're not built to win now.     We encouraged Melvin to seek out better deals...   in theory that means we'd like to at least try to top the offer.    He gets 1 year and $6.5 mill.    So, we had no interest in offereing 7.5 for one year?    Heck, we all were prepared to offer 7.5 for three years.     Did Melvin not give us a chance to beat the offer?    Perhaps he prefers playing Man to Zone?     Tough to know.    But that's just some of what I'd love to ask....

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'd love to sit down with Ballard for 20 minutes.    I have so many questions I want asked and I don't trust the Indy media to ask them.     This FA period as been as bizarre as I could possibly imagine.    

I appreciate not wanting to pay too much on the giant contracts.     But Mathiue signed for 1 year and 7 mill.     Maybe he would't have with us because we're not built to win now.     We encouraged Melvin to seek out better deals...   in theory that means we'd like to at least try to top the offer.    He gets 1 year and $6.5 mill.    So, we had no interest in offereing 7.5 for one year?    Heck, we all were prepared to offer 7.5 for three years.     Did Melvin not give us a chance to beat the offer?    Perhaps he prefers playing Man to Zone?     Tough to know.    But that's just some of what I'd love to ask....

To add to that, I'd want to know what he legit thought of these players i.e Melvin and Mingo. Two of the brighter spots on the D that he decided to let go. Was it cause he simply did not think they were that good? Were they not fits for the new Defense? Or was he simply not willing to pay that much for em? Also what's his thoughts on the youngsters, specifically Wilson? Is he ready to be a number 1 corner?

Meanwhile what's going on with Jack Mewhort? I haven't heard any news of him meeting with other teams. Are the Colts gonna try to get him back?

3 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

To add to that, I'd want to know what he legit thought of these players i.e Melvin and Mingo. Two of the brighter spots on the D that he decided to let go. Was it cause he simply did not think they were that good? Were they not fits for the new Defense? Or was he simply not willing to pay that much for em? Also what's his thoughts on the youngsters, specifically Wilson? Is he ready to be a number 1 corner?

Meanwhile what's going on with Jack Mewhort? I haven't heard any news of him meeting with other teams. Are the Colts gonna try to get him back?

Yup....      all of your questions are good and important too....    and there are even more.

They need to be asked.      I hope they will be at the right time,   but have little confidence that they will.

Here's hoping....

Mingo, Mewhort, Mathiue? A bad fit, a tall, light, slow, broken down, has no good position, and we have more of OUR OWN safeties then we know what to do with.
 Wilson a #1? That is a doozy question. Gee, he hasn't shown he is going to be a decent #2. But please answer CB.

Melvin? Hmmm. Bet his three year Colts offer had no more than the 1st year guaranteed, if all of that.
Ballard said he was talking to the Jets since Mon. Once he felt good about getting the 2 2nd's, sorry Melvin

It is clear Irsay & Ballard will be smiling if we are drafting early again next year. It is a Good Plan.
 It really is this simple. Next!

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

They probably have been trying to trade him until the last moment(tomorrow is the time his 5M bonus gets guaranteed) and when they couldn't find a partner they released him. 

7 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

I dont think it has anything to do with the scheme. I think there is something we dont really know about that the Colts have learned if Hankins and this was a message to the rest of the locker room.

He played 3 tech last year and was essentially going to play the same position. He also was very solid and I personally felt he was a very good addition. 

The only way this makes any sense is if there were other issues that might not be public.

Possible undisclosed injury?

I remember when the forums was very disappointed when Jerell Freeman was unsigned...and since then, 2 PED suspensions.