Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

vikings trading for Trevor Siemian

csmopar

On 3/14/2018 at 5:49 PM, csmopar said:

I like this trade. We needed a backup quarterback in case something happens to Cousins. We trade for one and acquire an extra draft pick this year. Our GM likes to draft at least 10 players per draft. We are up to 8. 

We give up a 5th round draft pick next year but we are expected to receive some compensatory picks for losing the Keenum, Bradford, Bridgewater and McKinnon. Over the Cap is predicting 3 extra picks for next year. So we can afford to lose that 5th rounder in 2019.

57 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I like this trade. We needed a backup quarterback in case something happens to Cousins. We trade for one and garner an extra draft pick this year. Our GM likes to draft at least 10 players per draft. We are up to 8. 

We give up a 5th round draft pick next year but we are expected to receive some compensatory picks for losing the Keenum, Bradford, Bridgewater and McKinnon. Over the Cap is predicting 4 extra picks for next year. So we can afford to lose that 5th rounder in 2019.

Doesn't all the money given to Cousins kind of undo all that though?  

12 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I like this trade. We needed a backup quarterback in case something happens to Cousins. We trade for one and garner an extra draft pick this year. Our GM likes to draft at least 10 players per draft. We are up to 8. 

We give up a 5th round draft pick next year but we are expected to receive some compensatory picks for losing the Keenum, Bradford, Bridgewater and McKinnon. Over the Cap is predicting 4 extra picks for next year. So we can afford to lose that 5th rounder in 2019.

Siemian is a good guy and he is never going to have big voice or a large ego.

I think that suits him well to be a backup which coincides with where he was drafted (7th)      

Denver had 11 picks this year and 3 draft choices from last year who never played due to injury.

They're tight on money and as little as Trevor makes ($2 mil cap hit) they needed to get rid of it because he's never going to start for them again with Case there..

The Vikings don't need him to start and they get a low-cost backup with something like 20 games of starting experience.   If Kirk Cousins gets knocked out of a game, Siemian could go in and do a capable job. Despite his interception issue, he does have a winning record as a starting QB for what that's worth.

Seems like a win-win.

Edited by oldunclemark

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Doesn't all the money given to Cousins kind of undo all that though?  

Apparently not. Over the Cap is projecting that Keenum will bring a 3rd, McKinnon a 5th, and Teddy a 6th. Teddy's projection is based on $5 million deal for 2018, but it has been reported he can earn up to $15 million. If that is so, the Vikes may receive a higher comp pick for Teddy. Bradford's projection is not up yet but his salary is rumored to be more than Keenum's; so I guess he would bring back a 3rd as well. 

So, Cousins and Bradford cancel each other. So, as of now, we are projected to get 3 comp picks.

Quote from Over the Cap (written before free agency but describes what would happen):

Vikings

Pending UFAs: 13
OTC Top 100 Free Agents: 5

Has there ever been a team that has three (albeit debated) starting caliber QBs hitting the market at once? That’s what the Vikings have on hand with Case Keenum, Sam Bradford, and Teddy Bridgewater. Even if the Vikings retain one of them or sign another veteran QB that would cancel out the loss of one of them, the other two could yield high compensatory picks for 2019 even if they’re on backup deals. Jerick McKinnon is also another CFA candidate for the Vikings as they’ll have Dalvin Cook coming off IR and Latavius Murray still under contract. With the Vikings in a much better position now to hold off on signing CFAs from other teams, they could be in a great position to reap the benefits. Potential: Very High

https://overthecap.com/2019-compensatory-picks-potential

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Siemian is a good guy and he is never going to have big voice or a large ego.

I think that suits him well to be a backup which coincides with where he was drafted (7th)      

Denver had 11 picks this year and 3 draft choices from last year who never played due to injury.

They're tight on money and as little as Trevor makes ($2 mil cap hit) they needed to get rid out if because he's never going to start for them again with Case there..

The Vikings don't need him to start and they get a low-cost backup with something like 20 games of starting experience.   If Kirk Cousins gets knocked out of a game, Siemian could go in and do a capable job. Despite his interception issue, he does have a winning record as a starting QB for what that's worth.

Seems like a win-win.

I agree.