Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

40 Yard Dash

vinatierifan4

As a number on paper (or a screen) it doesn't seem like much of a difference but it could be the difference between a broken tackle or not. Some positions the 40 matters more then others. Another drill to pay close attention to is the 3 cone drill. It is a good show of a players quickness and redirection speed.

good or bad 40 times just make scouts go back and check tape more to see if they missed something. game play is the most important thing in evaluating a player. track guys perform great at many combine drills, but that doesn't always translate to the football field. that's where a lot of draft busts come from.

NFL Network runs something wherein they put the 40 yard dashes of players up to run at the same time, here is Rich Eisen's 40 yard and they show some other players against him too. At about a minute in I believe you will see Luck and RG3 run at the same time. For those 2 guys its about a step difference up to 20 yards then about 2 steps at 40 yards.

http://www.nfl.com/v...en-vs-the-field

I wish they would have guys run an assortment of drills all while wearing pads. This would be a more accurate measurement of their game speed. Have LBs do backpeddling drills and lateral movements. Time pass rushers going around the edge. Give running backs a football and time them running through a predetermined hole. There are a lot of different ways they could make the combine more accurate for measuring someone's athletic ability.

good or bad 40 times just make scouts go back and check tape more to see if they missed something. game play is the most important thing in evaluating a player. track guys perform great at many combine drills, but that doesn't always translate to the football field. that's where a lot of draft busts come from.

Lots of "this."

NFL Network runs something wherein they put the 40 yard dashes of players up to run at the same time, here is Rich Eisen's 40 yard and they show some other players against him too. At about a minute in I believe you will see Luck and RG3 run at the same time. For those 2 guys its about a step difference up to 20 yards then about 2 steps at 40 yards.

http://www.nfl.com/v...en-vs-the-field

Hahaha Rich Eisen beat Tebow!!!

As a number on paper (or a screen) it doesn't seem like much of a difference but it could be the difference between a broken tackle or not. Some positions the 40 matters more then others. Another drill to pay close attention to is the 3 cone drill. It is a good show of a players quickness and redirection speed.

This says it all right here. NFL athletes can move, shift, and cut really quickly. So a tenth of a second could mean the different between a 4 yard run and breaking one for a TD

This says it all right here. NFL athletes can move, shift, and cut really quickly. So a tenth of a second could mean the different between a 4 yard run and breaking one for a TD

Remember that ESPN show called Playmakers? One of the storylines was about the veteran running back who was slowing down and was getting moved down the depth chart in favor of the younger, faster back. The veteran and the coach had it out about his speed, and the coach showed him frame-by-frame just how important a tenth of a second can be on a basic run play. The hole that's nice and wide at .5 seconds is essentially shut at .6 seconds. That tenth of a second, on any given play, is huge.

What sucked about the storyline is that they actually had the vet run the 40-yard dash to prove he could still run it at 4.5. Pretty unrealistic, that part. But the struggle for an aging back to keep his spot in the lineup was actually a little bit ahead of its time, because since then, most teams rotate backs every two or three years.

A 4.5 indicates that a person averages 8.88 yds per sec. 4.4 would be 9.09 yds per sec. A CB at 4.5 should be able to stay with a WR at 4.4 for 6 sec. before seperation begins. If a CB runs 4.6 and the WR runs a 4.3 then seperation begins at 4 sec. That is assuming the CB is 1 yd from the WR at the snap and does not jam. It also assumes that neither player pushes off to gain seperation. A player's SS and 3 cone are just as important. The cone measures foot quickness and the SS measures the ability to turn the hips and run.

David Caldwell's pro day results were 4.58 forty,6.69c,4.07s,24 reps of 225, and a 39.5V These numbers are outstanding except for the forty. This beats most safeties and a lot of the corners in the 2012 draft. Jerraud Powers ran 4.43f, 4.08s, 6.91c and a 35v. Chris Rucker had 4.54f,4.65s,6.87c,13reps, and 33.5v. Joe Lefeged had 4.42f,6.72c.4.13s and 36.5v with 18 reps. All 4 players are competitive with the 2012 draft class or better. All could use better coaching and full body training but they have the athletic ability to play at this level.

I wish they would have guys run an assortment of drills all while wearing pads. This would be a more accurate measurement of their game speed. Have LBs do backpeddling drills and lateral movements. Time pass rushers going around the edge. Give running backs a football and time them running through a predetermined hole. There are a lot of different ways they could make the combine more accurate for measuring someone's athletic ability.

I think the reason this isn't done in pads is because of the difference in equipment each players use. From shoulder pad sizes, to helmets, to thigh pads etc all vary from OL,DL,WR,RB,QB. Although I dont know if thats the case, but thats what I figure.

As for the other stuff, more position orientated drills, thats something I could get behind. I wonder why its not done? Perhaps so players are judged on a whole, other than DE's just being compared to DEs etc? I dunno?