Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This is about to get Real... Real awesome!!

3 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

No idea how the rookie wage scale came into this conversation. Guards, in general, have not been as valued as other positions. Nelson will be a good player, but he won't be as valuable to the Browns as, say, a QB. Browns have more important needs than Nelson. There's nothing wrong with Nelson, but the Browns don't even have a QB in place. Sure, Nelson could protect Kizer, but what good will it do when Kizer won't help them win?

I used those draft positions as an example in reply. If we take a guard at #3 and he helps shore up this line to protect Luck I wouldn't have a problem at all with it. \Our two most glaring needs are protecting Luck and pass rush. Like I said earlier. If we can get those things covered I don't care how it gets done.

Ballard has said he wants to build through the draft. How he goes about that is on him. Free agent signings for the most part are quick fix expensive band aids.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Who said a guard at #1 or #2 is a bad value?  Is it a bad value if it protects your QB therefor keeping him on the field? The rookie wage scale has changed what used to be valued.

Our two most glaring needs are protecting Luck and pass rush. If we can get those covered it makes no difference how we get it done.

The rookie wage scale is a big reason why OG that early is bad value. The scale puts a cap on all positions, which means you can now get a player at a premium position on a cheap, cost- controlled contract.

For example, Suh was the #2 pick in 2010...and his rookie deal cost $13M+/year. That same deal would have cost more than $7M/year less the following draft when the scale took effect. And in that following draft, DEN was able to get Von Miller for $5.2M/year. CIN got AJ Green and ATL got Julio for even cheaper. Combined, those three saved their teams $10-15M/year over the course of their rookie deals...based on their market value.

So there is even more of a premium on cheap talent now. And if you have a chance at a player at a premium position, you take it.

1 minute ago, Finball said:

Browns have Bitonio and Zeitler locked up at left and right guard, for 10 and 10+M per year, respectively. They are more than fine there.

So that means they can take Barkley? What about LT and RT? Joe Thomas is gonna retire soon..What about Linebacker, DT, other Defensive End, Cornerback, Safety, Wide Reciever? Apparently every position is more important than running back, yet they might take one at 1? They don't even have a freaking QB...If Colts do it it is dumb though..smh

29 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

So that means they can take Barkley? What about LT and RT? Joe Thomas is gonna retire soon..What about Linebacker, DT, other Defensive End, Cornerback, Safety, Wide Reciever? Apparently every position is more important than running back, yet they might take one at 1? They don't even have a freaking QB...If Colts do it it is dumb though..smh

That means they are most likely not taking Nelson.

QB, OT, WR, secondary are big needs for the Browns. They are pretty well set at DT, DE, LB. Exceptionally well for 0-16 team, if I may add.

Any team that takes any RB high is making a mistake in my opinion.

21 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

There are 5 Offensive Lineman. He is only 1 of those 5. He's not even a Tackle, which has more responsibility for protecting QB's.

I would'nt go that far to say that OT is more responsible for protecting QBs than OG. If the rush comes from the middle, through the OG and C, your QB is baked chicken...Done.

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

The rookie wage scale is a big reason why OG that early is bad value. The scale puts a cap on all positions, which means you can now get a player at a premium position on a cheap, cost- controlled contract.

For example, Suh was the #2 pick in 2010...and his rookie deal cost $13M+/year. That same deal would have cost more than $7M/year less the following draft when the scale took effect. And in that following draft, DEN was able to get Von Miller for $5.2M/year. CIN got AJ Green and ATL got Julio for even cheaper. Combined, those three saved their teams $10-15M/year over the course of their rookie deals...based on their market value.

So there is even more of a premium on cheap talent now. And if you have a chance at a player at a premium position, you take it.

The thing is when you have a glaring need at a position it becomes a premium position to your team.

The old saying that games are won and lost in the trenches. It's true and has always been true. And it is not changing.