Barry Sears

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Buck Showalter said:

Oh I hear ya!

Although Edgerrin & Ricky played the same position & the debate today seems to be partially about the practicality of taking a RB so high, when, RBs careers are statistically shorter than many other positions, etc. But, the thought of having a true game breaker at RB is pretty enticing...

Anyways, no matter what happens there'll be some grumbles around here. Ha...

man, the AVERAGE career at RB is short, but the great RB's are the high end...... the avg is 2 years because the vast majority of college RB's dont cut it at the pro level.....   i feel the stats are skewed..... run of the mill guys get a random 1k year, and people go , SEE you can  get good to great RBS everywhere in the draft!  It's confirmation bias......  yeah, plenty of Alfred Blue's have 1 or 2 good years..... but the top guys have 5 plus yr careers of top end production

2 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

man, the AVERAGE career at RB is short, but the great RB's are the high end...... the avg is 2 years because the vast majority of college RB's dont cut it at the pro level.....   i feel the stats are skewed..... run of the mill guys get a random 1k year, and people go , SEE you can  get good to great RBS everywhere in the draft!  It's confirmation bias......  yeah, plenty of Alfred Blue's have 1 or 2 good years..... but the top guys have 5 plus yr careers of top end production

Just how many of those teams with the cow bell RB made the super bowl this year?  The Patriots use a RBBC and so do the Eagles. The Patriots have made how many super bowls with a RBBC? 

58 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just how many of those teams with the cow bell RB made the super bowl this year?  The Patriots use a RBBC and so do the Eagles. The Patriots have made how many super bowls with a RBBC? 

This year?  2 teams, bell-cow or not.....  but yeah, you can say, hey, the 2 of 31 teams that made the SB didn't have 1 of the 4 or 5 best RB's!  most years...... just like most years the sack leader doesn't make the SB...... there are 31 teams.....  the best backs in the league rarely have % records, much like the best QB's....... but Detroit and Tampa are recent examples of % teams with amazing pass rushers...... what's the point in trying to use one excelling to prove another doesn't?   they aren't mutually exclusive...... so what?

Just listened to the press conference and followed it up with Matt Danely's SB podcast and had a few takeaways (to piggy back off Matt):

Danely loved when Ballard said that, when he was looking for a new coach there were key things he wanted.  A leader, a teacher, a communicator and an honest man......all those things were levelled at McDaniels as faults.  Matt Danely mentioned he was sure they were intentional jabs. haha

After what happened with McD, could the two pressers (Ballard and Reich) have been any better?  Ballard doing everything in his power to be level headed in his presser but you could see he was mad, then his killer line at the end. :thmup:  Then Reich comes in and nails the introduction.  May not be worth too much in the long term, but it gets the fans excited and creates a buzz after the whole place was deflated by us being left at the alter.

One final thing, you have to love Ballard's honesty.  Was asked (in an interview outwith the presser) why he didn't include Reich in the first round of interviews.  He could very easily have used Reich's "going dark" as a cover, but just said he had five guys, he interviewed them, and Reich was on the list of three alternative options after that.  He then mentioned he was annoyed at himself for not including him in the top 5 as soon as they interviewed him.  No hiding from this man, owns his mistakes and learns from them.

I woke up this morning as an excited fan!

Can I also add, my favourite line from Reich was about a quote his father gave him and his siblings (I may be paraphrasing).....

Its not about who is the toughest, its about who is the toughest the longest.

I love that, and sums up a huge issue we had last year.

He had much better presence and much more fire in his demeanor than I expected. I liked the presser, I liked that he seemed to have a well outlined plan, I liked that he will run more no huddle fast paced offense. I'm still not sure about his fit with the already hired coaches, but we will see about that in due time. (IMO I wouldn't be surprised if he got his own O-Line coach next year for example)

Good start for Reich. Now lets build that thing to a Superbowl level team. 

6 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

This year?  2 teams, bell-cow or not.....  but yeah, you can say, hey, the 2 of 31 teams that made the SB didn't have 1 of the 4 or 5 best RB's!  most years...... just like most years the sack leader doesn't make the SB...... there are 31 teams.....  the best backs in the league rarely have % records, much like the best QB's....... but Detroit and Tampa are recent examples of % teams with amazing pass rushers...... what's the point in trying to use one excelling to prove another doesn't?   they aren't mutually exclusive...... so what?

Without getting a pass rusher our offense will have to score 30 points or more every game to win. Having no pass rusher makes 2nd tier QBs look like pro bowl QBs when they play us. We have even had bad teams second string QBs smoke us. It's not hard to understand that is it?

1 hour ago, JColts72 said:

U thin Indy fans are becoming NY fans with their unrealistic demands on Reich's coaching results for preseason and for this upcoming season too?

I take you haven't been following my comments about unrealistic expectations this upcoming season. But don't let that stop attempting to antagonize me because that is what you do. Stay negative my friend.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I take you haven't been following my comments about unrealistic expectations this upcoming season. But don't let that stop attempting to antagonize me because that is what you do. Stay negative my friend.

Not negative my friend; just my Gemini nature I guess.. Have to get use to the sarcasm style of your writing and thoughts of it being so or not.