Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich HC - #3 is Barkley or Chubb

ThorstenDenmark

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/11/2018 at 6:07 PM, Indyfan4life said:

It just depends on what we value more for the team. It also depends on who we go after in free agency. 

We we haven’t had that true game changer on defense since Freeney/Mathis/Sanders. Think we all miss that. 

We we haven’t had a home run threat for a RB probably since the days of James and the short combo of JA/Rhodes. 

If we stay at #3, I don’t think there is a wrong pick between Barkley or Chubb. We’ve all seen what a high RB can do for you, Fournette, Elliott, etc. 

Trent Richardson?  Ugh ;)

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I didn’t compare them though. Only the amount of people talking about them.

I figured that is what you meant. Having said that I do think Barkley would be worth the pick, Cook no. I Didn't want Cook. I am concerned with getting at least 1 Good Pass Rusher and concerned with our O.Line but we have 7 picks and Free Agency so we will see how it goes.

10 hours ago, krunk said:

I'd like to swing a deal for Tevin Coleman. Work him alongside Mack. Bring in Blount for the heavy lifting. I'd be perfectly fine with that. They are saying Coleman has trade value due to Freemans extension. You dont need to spend a high round pick on a back to create explosive offense. In most cases you do have to draft high for defense if you want solid players. Especially along your DL and your Ends.

I would be cool with That! I like Coleman, reminds me of young Ahmed Bradshaw...

9 hours ago, SolidGold said:

Ask yourself this. If Barkley and Chubb are gone then who should be our 1st pick ? Whoever that player is will probably be who we pick 1 st this year. Being the fact that Nelson should be the player that you chose.

Nelson, picking Nelson 3rd anyway wouldn't be a bad thing. Most people think picking a Guard at #3 is silly so they will keep that idea in their head. With the way our O.Line is I don't in this case.

I don't think you should take a one size fits all approach to drafting - for example, high in the draft, always choosing a pass rusher over a RB.  Every draft is different.  Every situation is different.  I'm not worried about what teams have or haven't done in recent years.  I'm only looking at Barkley vs. Chubb.  If you believe Barkley is a truly special player and do not believe Chubb is close to that level at his position, I'm taking Barkley, regardless of their respective positions.  I'm not passing on a special player, and it's not as though this team doesn't need a RB.  It's not exactly a luxury pick.  There are numerous legitimate reasons for this team to take Barkley.

17 hours ago, ThatOneColtFan said:

In this case, I'd go for the more talented player at their position.

Barkley.

If Chubb is a JJ Watt type freak then I'd pick him, but he doesn't look like he'll be at that level to me. He's an athletic freak for sure but I'd like to see better technique from him down the stretch. 

Barkley just seems insane. But my nagging intuition always tells me picking up a back this early is bad. Even though that's not really the case.

JJ Watt didn't look at that level to Texans fans either....they booed the selection lol

7 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

They have not done much since taking watt either

That is why in reality the Draft is a crapshoot. Houston has had Clowney and Watt and have never made a Final 4. As Good as Bosa was last season, the Chargers didn't even make the Playoffs. It's not necessarily those players fault that these things have happened but this shows having Good or even Great DE's doesn't equate to success. Myles Garrett is a Beast for the Browns but the Browns were 0-16. Not entirely his fault but the impact he had on the team meant nothing and he went #1.

9 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Quote me then

dig up some buried thread to show you what you know you have said lol?  ill pass for now, maybe when im on my desktop.  you just made half the argument just now, its not jj watts fault they have not won.  

you give no credit to fournette for Jacksonvilles good season, even though they lead the league in rushing and not just any back can take that many hand offs against stacked boxes 

Just now, aaron11 said:

dig up some buried thread to show you what you know you have said lol?  ill pass for now, maybe when im on my desktop.  you just made half the argument just now, its not jj watts fault they have not won.  

you give no credit to fournette for Jacksonvilles good season, even though they lead the league in rushing and not just any back can take that many hand offs against stacked boxes 

Giving something else, like a good defense stocked with first round picks, is different than saying "what did the Lions accomplish with Barry Sanders". 

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

They had a horrible coach

They added the keys pieces in the offseason.

sorry, that I'm not impressed with 3.9 ypc 

thats good enough to move the chains every time.  their limited offense needed every bit of that, and he was facing stacked boxes all year.  he was good in the playoffs too

not good enough to win the super bowl, but neither was their stacked defense

Ideally for me, if we can trade back to the Broncos/Jets and still get Chubb (quite likely) that would be my preference.

I think with regards to offense, if we can fix the oline and get a solid back in the mid rounds (and there will be some) our offense will be fine so long Luck comes back well. Keep Luck protected and you will start seen our offense back up to around the 10th best in the league. He is that good and will bring everyone's game up, most notably TY.

At some point though, if we are serious about winning the SB, we need to properly start focusing on defense. And I'm talking about long term building, through the draft mainly, so we have a unit that develops and improves year on year. We need cornerstone pieces in place long term in key positions, and pass rush is obviously a key position. I think this year, if we can draft Chubb, and good off ball LB in the 2nd/3rd, sign Hitchens, and maybe my fantasy FA in Trumaine Johnson (Melvin would be a good alternative), we would see a major improvement of this franchise, not just on D.