Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Norwell makes AP All Pro Team

Norwell would definitely be a good FA acquisition.  I don't think Caroline let's him walk, they have spent 4 seasons grooming him and developing him and now that he has developed into what they want, I don't think they just let that go.  People can talk about their cap money but the salary cap has never stopped a team from signing a player they really want because what a player counts towards the cap is not a real number, it can be manipulated.

That being said, I wonder why people act like the Colts have to sign Norwell or spend their high draft picks on oline.  Great olineman can be found in any round of the draft or even as undrafted FAs.  Case in point, Norwell was an undrafted free agent.

19 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Interesting.  The Giants have around 22mil in cap space and have Pugh as an impending FA.   I don't know if they would try to sign them both.  

They also have Richburg to sign I believe.  So the Center and Guard need to be kept.  I see the draft being more beneficial for them.

On 1/16/2018 at 3:37 PM, dgambill said:

Yep...all I was saying was that it was a little concerning how they decided to pay everyone but him. I'm sure they have their reasons....obviously he has played great this year to make all-pro. I just had some concerns about him and what he may be asking for...along with the fact that Carolina (minus Cam) was absolutely awful running the ball this year.

The timing element can’t be overlooked on this one.  As contracts come up, they have to make inividual descisions on them.  Early extensions can be risky, because you lack the foresight of the player’s final year (are they going to tear their ACL or have a career year like Norwell?).  Plus, you don’t don’t take advantage of his most economical year (an experienced player on a cheap contract) if you extend them early.  I would assume that when they had a ton of cap space tied up on the OL, they were hoping something would happen to make Norwell affordable.  Instead, he had a career year and they’ll lose him...

On 1/17/2018 at 12:19 PM, Coffeedrinker said:

Norwell would definitely be a good FA acquisition.  I don't think Caroline let's him walk, they have spent 4 seasons grooming him and developing him and now that he has developed into what they want, I don't think they just let that go.  People can talk about their cap money but the salary cap has never stopped a team from signing a player they really want because what a player counts towards the cap is not a real number, it can be manipulated.

That being said, I wonder why people act like the Colts have to sign Norwell or spend their high draft picks on oline.  Great olineman can be found in any round of the draft or even as undrafted FAs.  Case in point, Norwell was an undrafted free agent.

I agree that its been shown good OL come from all rounds of the draft, and in a perfect world that would be the way to go, but I think most are past tired of our poor OL and are ready to just spend the money and fix it with proven players; and not waste more time trying to find those later round guys and waiting for them to develop.

17 hours ago, Archer said:

The timing element can’t be overlooked on this one.  As contracts come up, they have to make inividual descisions on them.  Early extensions can be risky, because you lack the foresight of the player’s final year (are they going to tear their ACL or have a career year like Norwell?).  Plus, you don’t don’t take advantage of his most economical year (an experienced player on a cheap contract) if you extend them early.  I would assume that when they had a ton of cap space tied up on the OL, they were hoping something would happen to make Norwell affordable.  Instead, he had a career year and they’ll lose him...

I understand...still the fact they could have re-signed him at the beginning of the season but chose to re-sign Turner the other guard whose contract was ending at the same time. I do assume they just felt they couldn't sign both...but why choose Turner and not the superior player....I guess it comes down to money...so that tells me he is going to want a pretty rich contract if the re-signed the lesser athlete at his position for big bucks instead of him when they were both on basically rookie deals ending at the same time. It was one or the other...just wondering if there is more to the story then just pff rankings in this instance.

On 1/18/2018 at 3:55 PM, esmort said:

I agree that its been shown good OL come from all rounds of the draft, and in a perfect world that would be the way to go, but I think most are past tired of our poor OL and are ready to just spend the money and fix it with proven players; and not waste more time trying to find those later round guys and waiting for them to develop.

And that is the thing I think most fans (not just Colts fans but all NFL fans) want to overlook.  Most fans think that if the team spends big money on a proven player it will immediately pay dividends.  But history has taught us that 50% of the big name free agent signings end up being a bust for the new team and another descent percentage take a good year or two to fully acclimate to the new team.  So, the spend money and fix it with proven players is about as reliable as the 1st three rounds of the draft.

55 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

And that is the thing I think most fans (not just Colts fans but all NFL fans) want to overlook.  Most fans think that if the team spends big money on a proven player it will immediately pay dividends.  But history has taught us that 50% of the big name free agent signings end up being a bust for the new team and another descent percentage take a good year or two to fully acclimate to the new team.  So, the spend money and fix it with proven players is about as reliable as the 1st three rounds of the draft.

I would not entirely agree with you here, but yes FA and the draft both have risk to it.  That is the way of the world.  Everything has risk and nothing is guaranteed with players and a physical sport.  You use FA to help fill spots with the best possible solution.  This does not mean you throw all your money at the top guys.  A smart GM is going to select key guys to go after.  They have been scouting these players along with the draftees as well.

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

I would not entirely agree with you here, but yes FA and the draft both have risk to it.  That is the way of the world.  Everything has risk and nothing is guaranteed with players and a physical sport.  You use FA to help fill spots with the best possible solution.  This does not mean you throw all your money at the top guys.  A smart GM is going to select key guys to go after.  They have been scouting these players along with the draftees as well.

I'm not sure with which part you are disagreeing.  That was my point, that people act like if you sign a high priced or big  name free agent the problem is solved.  And I don't agree with that. 

And I've always thought you build a team through the draft and you fill holes via free agency and that sounds like what you are saying.

Lastly, I know they have been scouting players, I'm not sure why that comment was thrown in there.  I didn't think they grabbed a PFF report and say, "let's sign that guy."

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm not sure with which part you are disagreeing.  That was my point, that people act like if you sign a high priced or big  name free agent the problem is solved.  And I don't agree with that. 

And I've always thought you build a team through the draft and you fill holes via free agency and that sounds like what you are saying.

Lastly, I know they have been scouting players, I'm not sure why that comment was thrown in there.  I didn't think they grabbed a PFF report and say, "let's sign that guy."

The last part was in reference of you saying that half do not pan out or take some time.  This is true but I was also mentioning that a smart GM scouts any and all FA's to make sure they can come in and make an impact right away.  That is all really.  I do not disagree with you but the way I read it I just wanted to put out there that many bad GM's throw money at the top guy because they assume the perfect fit is there.  A smart one does not.  Drafting is very similar.  No one bats 1.000 though for sure.

On 1/19/2018 at 9:07 AM, dgambill said:

I understand...still the fact they could have re-signed him at the beginning of the season but chose to re-sign Turner the other guard whose contract was ending at the same time. I do assume they just felt they couldn't sign both...but why choose Turner and not the superior player....I guess it comes down to money...so that tells me he is going to want a pretty rich contract if the re-signed the lesser athlete at his position for big bucks instead of him when they were both on basically rookie deals ending at the same time. It was one or the other...just wondering if there is more to the story then just pff rankings in this instance.

Y’know, I’ve been doing some research on this, and I think you’re right on this one.  Carolina has no other big FAs, so they’ll make Norwell a top priority.  It seems like they have a lot of dollars tied up in the line, but there are other teams that have way more.  Carolina has $25M tied up in its top 4 OL next year.  Dallas has $46M, and Philly has $42.5M...

He's be a great addition maybe selling him on what is being built here and knowing he's going to be in a scheme were it might play more to his strengths? 

I think he'll do his due diligence and look for a much money he can get this off-season along with looking at the best fit. All in all it will be hard luring him away from Carolina but one can hope he is from OH of all places so there's the being closer to home factor there. 

13 minutes ago, Archer said:

Y’know, I’ve been doing some research on this, and I think you’re right on this one.  Carolina has no other big FAs, so they’ll make Norwell a top priority.  It seems like they have a lot of dollars tied up in the line, but there are other teams that have way more.  Carolina has $25M tied up in its top 4 OL next year.  Dallas has $46M, and Philly has $42.5M...

I don't think they will...I think he will be available. Not saying they can't spend that money but I think they chose to sign the lesser player knowing Norwell will be asking for a contract too rich. Add the fact he is a free agent and a bidding war gets going...his price will probably be twice what he should really get. They have the money but I think they will save some of that back to continue to take care of other positions of need on that team. I definitely think there is no certainty Norwell ends up a Colt.

24 minutes ago, Archer said:

They need to sign Star Loutolei (however you spell it).  I can see them looking at the trenches regardless of him or Norwell.