Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts to Interview McDaniels on Thursday

Steamboat_Shaun

9 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

We get it, you hate Irsay. That doesn't change the fact that the rest of the football world does not. Polian, Dungy, Manning, guys like Rick Venturi have all gone to bat on how good of an owner they think Jim is. If you haven't seen it, you aren't looking. I'm not saying you have to come around and change your stance on Jim. By all means, you are entitled to believe what you want. But just because you have an opinion does not mean that is is shared by people in the league who matter.

I certainly do not hate Jim Irsay. I just am speaking honestly.  I don't think he is so highly thought of across the NFL as you think.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I have not seen any favorable mention of Irsay lately outside of posters here. He appeared to be drunk in his last press conference

How about not jumping to conclusions? He has been a pretty private man since his problems with the law. For you to even suggest something like that is not right. You have no clue as to his health problems do you?

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I think mcdaniels already has the job, but we can't say anything because of league rules. Nagy was really his only threat and he's going to Chicago. Richard could be hired at anytime, wilkes defense isn't that good, and we didn't even ask to interview toub

Wilks hasn't been interviewed yet. I think someone would have leaked McDaniels or at least we would have a general sense that he was the one. Everyone knew Shanahan was going to the 49ers before the Falcons played in the SB last year.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

How about not jumping to conclusions? He has been a pretty private man since his problems with the law. For you to even suggest something like that is not right. You have no clue as to his health problems do you?

Regardless, the perception he gave was not great to convince head coach candidates. 

Just now, 1959Colts said:

I certainly do not hate Jim Irsay. I just am speaking honestly.  I don't think he is so highly thought of across the NFL as you think.

Hey, that's fine. I disagree, but it is what it is. I take the word of respected NFL people based on any lack of inside info on my end. Debate is the nature of this message board, agreeing isn't necessary and opinions are only that. If McDaniels doesn't take the Job, I personally think it's because he is concerned about Luck's status and not the owner.

Regardless the perception he gave was not great to convince head coach candidates. 

Nonsense. His checks are good are they not?  Look, I don't know what your problem is with Irsay but regardless he is known as a good owner in the circles of owners.

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I think mcdaniels already has the job, but we can't say anything because of league rules. Nagy was really his only threat and he's going to Chicago. Richard could be hired at anytime, wilkes defense isn't that good, and we didn't even ask to interview toub

Wilks defense isn't that good based on what?  One game against the most explosive offense in the leagure?

I am talking about the press conference

A press conference is not going to effect any head coach being hired. The head coach will be interviewed one on one with Irsay.  I would also venture to say Ballard would be included somewhere in that interview.

I have read where some of these interviews can last 12 hours or more.

8 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Wilks hasn't been interviewed yet. I think someone would have leaked McDaniels or at least we would have a general sense that he was the one. Everyone knew Shanahan was going to the 49ers before the Falcons played in the SB last year.

I don't think wilks will get it. His defense isn't anything special. His link with Ballard is the only reason I can see why he'll get an interview

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I don't think wilks will get it. His defense isn't anything special. His link with Ballard is the only reason I can see why he'll get an interview

I don't think so either but I don't think Ballard would hire McDaniels(or make a decision) without interviewing all the candidates first. 

26 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I have not seen any favorable mention of Irsay lately outside of posters here. He appeared to be drunk in his last press conference

Hey, i've got a great idea.

how about sticking to football and laying off a man who is obviously in pain and dealing with some serious health problems.

i know i'm sick and tired of the posts beating up Jim and i'm pretty sure most others here are too.  Whether you like him or not, it just isnt cool, and ,quite honestly , is rather immature.

Show a little  tact and class.

5 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

What perceptions? He's perceived as a patient owner who sometimes says too much. Nothing for a HC to be concerned over.

Exactly. A potential head coach can look at the Pagano issue and realize he wont get fired pre mature if he isn't successful right off the bat. One thing we all know is Irsay really don't make knee jerk reactions.

2 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Hey, i've got a great idea.

how about sticking to football and laying off a man who is obviously in pain and dealing with some serious health problems.

i know i'm sick and tired of the posts beating up Jim and i'm pretty sure most others here are too.  Whether you like him or not, it just isnt cool, and ,quite honestly , is rather immature.

Show a little  tact and class.

Beautiful comment. ^^^

A couple things to add about McDaniels:

-Belichick helps more with the defense than he does with the offense, leaving the offense to McDaniels. He's had good results(obviously).

-The Pats offense has worked well with average players. The only star player on offense(outside of Brady) is Gronk. Their RBs are nothing special and their WRs are UDFAs, low-round picks like Edelman, or players who fit the scheme. Some of it is probably on BB, but McDaniels has succeeded and puts together a consistent offense with these players. Pats are also good at adjusting and the gameplan, which McDaniels is a part of.

18 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Hey, that's fine. I disagree, but it is what it is. I take the word of respected NFL people based on any lack of inside info on my end. Debate is the nature of this message board, agreeing isn't necessary and opinions are only that. If McDaniels doesn't take the Job, I personally think it's because he is concerned about Luck's status and not the owner.

I need to add to your comment by repeating what Ballard said. He stated he didn't want a head coach that wants to come here because of Luck. Human nature would say that Luck would enter the picture but not a reason to accept or decline an offer.

43 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

As a trained interrogator, who with 14 years of experience has interviewed drunk people, no he didn't . Quit spreading bull dung. 

3 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

A couple things to add about McDaniels:

-Belichick helps more with the defense than he does with the offense, leaving the offense to McDaniels. He's had good results(obviously).

-The Pats offense has worked well with average players. The only star player on offense(outside of Brady) is Gronk. Their RBs are nothing special and their WRs are UDFAs, low-round picks like Edelman, or players who fit the scheme. Some of it is probably on BB, but McDaniels has succeeded and puts together a consistent offense with these players. Pats are also good at adjusting and the gameplan, which McDaniels is a part of.

So then who gets credit for the infamous 4th and 2 decision years ago? Hoodie or McDaniels?

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Highly doubt that Titans fire their coach after winning in the playoffs 

I was reading that the Titans owner said he wasn't going to fire their head coach regardless of the outcome of the game. It was all the media who come up with that nonsense.

1 minute ago, elyanon said:

Anyone who remembers Bob Irssay more than likely see's Jim as a very good Colts owner, He keeps us fans more informed than all but a few team owners

Sometimes Jim makes it painfully known he is not his father. I do remember Robert and there is a difference of night and day between the two.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

So then who gets credit for the infamous 4th and 2 decision years ago? Hoodie or McDaniels?

Dunno, that's hard to tell. Belichick is my guess. If it was on McDaniels, that's not a reason to not hire him. Plenty of good HCs have made stupid decisions.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I was reading that the Titans owner said he wasn't going to fire their head coach regardless of the outcome of the game. It was all the media who come up with that nonsense.

It would be dumb of the Titans to fire a coach who took them to the playoffs in his second year. Not to mention, the Titans HC job isn't exactly stable, which would be concerning to McDaniels.

35 minutes ago, CR91 said:

they could still announce that an agreement has been made in principal, but it can't be signed and finalized until the Pats are out of the playoffs.  If I remember right that's what happened last year with SF and Kyle Shanahan.

2 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Dunno, that's hard to tell. Belichick is my guess. If it was on McDaniels, that's not a reason to not hire him. Plenty of good HCs have made stupid decisions.

It would be dumb of the Titans to fire a coach who took them to the playoffs in his second year. Not to mention, the Titans HC job isn't exactly stable, which would be concerning to McDaniels.

It would seem the head coach's job is more stable this week than last? :D

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think the HC would typically be the one to say go for it or don't go for it.  He may even say he wants a run or a pass, but I imagine the OC chooses the actual play that's run.  So Hoodie gets credit for deciding to go for it and McD gets credit for the playcall.  Just my opinion.

27 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I don't think it was a bad decision.. No matter who made it.

That's not to say they haven't mad bad decisions. On game planning, one can look at the games at Miami this year and 2015.. On individual decisions, onside kick against the Eagles in 2015, not kicking the FG against the Broncos in AFCCG, deferring in OT against the Jets the same year..

30 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

They probably should have though.. Mularkey is a bad HC.

But I very much agree that firing a HC on the outcome of single game is ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Like most of you it seems like the McDaniels train has passed the station. Nagy could be going to the Bears so ASSUMING those two are out I wonder if he is still courting a certain coach in Ann Arbor, Columbus or Tuscaloosa 

huh?

10 minutes ago, J@son said:

they could still announce that an agreement has been made in principal, but it can't be signed and finalized until the Pats are out of the playoffs.  If I remember right that's what happened last year with SF and Kyle Shanahan.

Well Ballard did say he wanted to keep this internal