Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tom Cable...

RockThatBlue

Tom Cable is only employed because he has basically agreed to be in charge of the part of the team that Pete Carroll doesn't want to spend money on. He was only employed before that because 90% of HC candidates the Oakland year didn't want the job. He's a bum and he's as stable as a house of toothpicks. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, The Fish said:

hmm..

strong stance. Not sure I can say that, but I wouldn't be happy about it. If it's really on the table, given that I think it's a bad idea, I hope the powers that be note that the fans will not only be skeptical on a football level, but some what (what's the word?) offended.

Yes it's a very strong stance as I have been watching almost every game since 1984. Having said that if we hire this guy it would ruin the franchise. He had a terrible record as Coach with Oakland and beats women. No thanks.

51 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yes it's a very strong stance as I have been watching almost every game since 1984. Having said that if we hire this guy it would ruin the franchise. He had a terrible record as Coach with Oakland and beats women. No thanks.

He has the same chance getting hired as Caldwell.

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

Now to be fair to Cable those incidents I believe are from 2009 or previous. Haven't seen any other incidents since then. And hes been employed for sometime now so maybe hes cleaned that stuff up. Still dont want him though.

He hasn't been a HC either since then may get a shot again and punch another dude in the face 

9 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Why do you like him? he's accused of being abusive to women and has broke an assistant coaches jaw sounds like a real winner :facepalm:

Wow, facepalming someone because they don't fall in line and repeat the PC parroting about abuse?  I prefer actual facts before I grandstand by putting someone else down.  He's never been in jail and he's employed by the NFL. 

And maybe the Asst Coach deserved it.  Yes, I said maybe he deserved it, or at least was culpable in the situation. 

I like what he did with a terrible Oakland team.  His record of 17 wins is actually pretty good considering how horrible Oakland was during the later Al Davis years.

Not saying he'd be my first choice, but many of the one liners in this thread about how terrible he is have come with almost zero supporting information. It reads like an echo chamber.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Wow, facepalming someone because they don't fall in line and repeat the PC parroting about abuse?  I prefer actual facts before I grandstand by putting someone else down.  He's never been in jail and he's employed by the NFL. 

And maybe the Asst Coach deserved it.  Yes, I said maybe he deserved it, or at least was culpable in the situation. 

I like what he did with a terrible Oakland team.  His record of 17 wins is actually pretty good considering how horrible Oakland was during the later Al Davis years.

Not saying he'd be my first choice, but many of the one liners in this thread about how terrible he is have come with almost zero supporting information. It reads like an echo chamber.

I'm sure the guy needed punched.....

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'm sure the guy needed punched.....

If the AC had a personality like Jim Schwartz, Jim Harbaugh, Todd Haley, or Josh McDaniels; I'm thinking the AC bears some culpability for their own broken jaw.

I'm certainly not tossing out a HC candidate because 8 years ago he once over-punched an AC who was obviously mouthing off in some way.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If the AC had a personality like Jim Schwartz, Jim Harbaugh, Todd Haley, or Josh McDaniels; I'm thinking the AC bears some culpability for their own broken jaw.

I'm certainly not tossing out a HC candidate because 8 years ago he once over-punched an AC who was obviously mouthing off in some way.

Good to know you were in the room 

25 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Good to know you were in the room 

I wasn't.  Neither was anybody else.  Yet they make judgments simply because its popular and unaccountable.

BTW, he won't be the HC.  But I think he would be better than some are talking about.

Remember that hot-head HC for Detroit, Jim Schwartz?  On reason they hired Blinky Caldwell is because he was the opposite of Schwartz, about as calm as they get.  Blinky wasn't good for every team, but he was the right guy for the Lions at the time.

Pagano is criticized for being too easy on players.  Maybe a guy like Cable would make players more accountable. Maybe they wouldn't be in the trainers room so much.  I'm not throwing out Cable simply because something on his record might labeled as "abusive" by some people.

I wasn't.  Neither was anybody else.  Yet they make judgments simply because its popular and unaccountable.

BTW, he won't be the HC.  But I think he would be better than some are talking about.

Remember that hot-head HC for Detroit, Jim Schwartz?  On reason they hired Blinky Caldwell is because he was the opposite of Schwartz, about as calm as they get.  Blinky wasn't good for every team, but he was the right guy for the Lions at the time.

Pagano is criticized for being too easy on players.  Maybe a guy like Cable would make players more accountable. Maybe they wouldn't be in the trainers room so much.  I'm not throwing out Cable simply because something on his record might labeled as "abusive" by some people.

We'll see how much you are ok with someone being "abusive" when it happens to someone in your family it's all fun and games for now 

11 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

We'll see how much you are ok with someone being "abusive" when it happens to someone in your family it's all fun and games for now 

I'm talking about potential HC candidates.  I'm not okay with it, I just don't know what actions had to have happened in order for one person to label another as an abuser for the rest of their life.  Sorry to hear about your personal strife and hope things are going well today.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm talking about potential HC candidates.  I'm not okay with it, I just don't know what actions had to have happened in order for one person to label another as an abuser for the rest of their life.  Sorry to hear about your personal strife and hope things are going well today.

Nothing wrong with me but you are the one endorsing a dirt bag to run our great franchise 

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Nothing wrong with me but you are the one endorsing a dirt bag to run our great franchise 

I'm not sure what someone has to do to be labeled a dirt bag the rest of their life.  Again, I don't think he ever went to jail, so it must not have been too serious.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm not sure what someone has to do to be labeled a dirt bag the rest of their life.  Again, I don't think he ever went to jail, so it must not have been too serious.

It's proven he punched a fellow coach a coach he picked for his staff and I'd rather not have some one accused of abusing anyone on our staff let alone our HC good thing he sucks and isn't getting the job 

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Marc Colombo isn't the Cowboys O-line coach....  he's their ASSISTANT O-line coach.   Frank Pollack is their lead OL  coach.   And they have the most talent on the planet to work with.

Posters here reject Cable and Philbin as OL coaches and it never occurs to them that these coaches don't have nearly as much to work with.

Hopefully whoever we hire as a HC can bring in a quality OL coach to join him.

I knew Frank Pollack wouldn't leave, hence the suggestion of Marc Colombo. Why would Marc Colombo leave to be the Assistant OL coach somewhere else? Most OL coaches probably started off as an Assistant OL somewhere. Being a former OL himself, and staying engaged in the game very quickly after his playing days, I felt he could relate to the OL guys' day in and day out, and be a good OL coach. Otherwise, we might as well retain Philbin.

I was wanting Tony Sporano, but then realized he is the Vikings OL coach. One thing I will agree is the talent you have to work with. However, at some point, it has to be a combination. The OL of ours is also made to look worse than it is due to the play calling and the QB too, IMO.  

We cannot get quality coaches that all of us fans recognize at all levels, that is a fact fans have to accept. Even the best of OL will be made to look bad because of the weakest link. Look at the 2 games Dak Prescott had to play without Tyron Smith and Zeke, he got killed. The coaches, the play calling and the QB did not adjust till they stunk for 3 games in a row. Tyron Smith was playing hurt and now he is on IR. Wanting OL picks in the first 2 rounds across the OL is just not going to happen, coaching up has to happen at some point in time.

That is why it is best to not make a broad brush move when letting go of coaches. A selective few, if you like them and the progress they have made, keep them, even if you let go of the HC.

4 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

It's proven he punched a fellow coach a coach he picked for his staff and I'd rather not have some one accused of abusing anyone on our staff let alone our HC good thing he sucks and isn't getting the job 

Not to mention his ex-wife and ex-girlfriend both saying on separate accounts that he hit them while they were together. He's a piece of $%&@ and I wouldn't even consider him for a position coach, let alone HC.

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

Not to mention his ex-wife and ex-girlfriend both saying on separate accounts that he hit them while they were together. He's a piece of $%&@ and I wouldn't even consider him for a position coach, let alone HC.

That's a pretty talented punch.  But maybe the fact that they were together was the problem.

That's a pretty talented punch.  But maybe the fact that they were together was the problem.

What I meant was that his ex-wife said he hit her while they were married and his ex-girlfriend said he hit her while they were dating.

On 12/30/2017 at 1:53 PM, BOTT said:

I'm not for hiring cable, but I wouldn't pin all the blame on him for the offensive line woes.  The front office and injuries are probably more to blame.  Then again, I'm not an expert on the Seahawks.

I don't mean to pin all the blame on him, but I also don't think he's done a good job with the one unit he's responsible for. It's easily the worst part of their team, and it's been that way for at least three years. 

I don't pin all the blame for the Colts OL on Joe Philbin, but he shouldn't get any consideration for head coaching jobs either. 

Cable has had signficant say in who the Seahawks draft at OL and during Cable's tenure there, I'm not sure if there's a team that has spent more picks on OL than them, though they consistently draft late. Last year, when they took Pocic, might have been an exception.

Quote from their GM

"We’re not going to draft a guy [Cable] doesn’t like," Schneider said. "He doesn’t have the final say, but we would never draft somebody he doesn’t think could play.

Just last season (2016) they cut Jahri Evans who they had signed to a one year deal. Went on to have a good year with the Saints. Seahawks were left with probably the worst guard combo in the league.