Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which rookie will have the most success?

Luck for President

Define "Success". I think Delone Carter could end up getting a healthy amount of TD runs because he's going to be really effective in the red zone.

But from the reports coming out of camp, Drake Nevis may be muscling his way into a starting spot as a big time DT and he could end up being more important to the team with what he's able to do for, and on our D line.

Castonzo and Ijalana, just because their starters and every other draft picks are backups.

Ijalana isn't a starter. We didn't bring Ryan Diem back for over 2 million to make him a backup. Costanzo is most likely going to start, but I see us using an array of guys at LT to keep him from getting overwhelmed. Who? I dunno. Maybe linkenbach. I'm not hot on that idea, but everyone seems to feel he did better at LT than guard, so I guess we'll see.

I don't think Rucker will get a lot of playing time this year even though he is talented. Same thing goes for Ijalana. I see Castonzo, Nevis and Carter getting plenty of game action and I could even see Castonzo or Nevis starting. If Addai gets injured and Brown keeps playing the same way he has before, I wouldn't be surprised if Carter gets a start over him.

Rucker could see significant time if he progresses quickly. Our biggest weakpoint ATM is CB and if he can play and come in and immediately make an impact the way Powers did he could land a starting job.

Dunno though. He's the pick I know/have heard the least about.

I hope he can come in like Powers did, though.

Define "Success". I think Delone Carter could end up getting a healthy amount of TD runs because he's going to be really effective in the red zone.

But from the reports coming out of camp, Drake Nevis may be muscling his way into a starting spot as a big time DT and he could end up being more important to the team with what he's able to do for, and on our D line.

Where did you hear positive stuff about Drake Nevis?

I'm in Pa. Where do you guys get info? (other than here, yahoo sports, espn, etc)

Ijalana isn't a starter. We didn't bring Ryan Diem back for over 2 million to make him a backup. Costanzo is most likely going to start, but I see us using an array of guys at LT to keep him from getting overwhelmed. Who? I dunno. Maybe linkenbach. I'm not hot on that idea, but everyone seems to feel he did better at LT than guard, so I guess we'll see.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ijalana getting a shot at RG at some point during the season. Mike Pollack isn't very good and Jacques McClendon is just a big question mark. The only guard i'm ok with now is Kyle Devan. I still don't understand why we brought Diem back, he was bad in pass protection and run blocking last year :pullhair:

Where did you hear positive stuff about Drake Nevis?

I'm in Pa. Where do you guys get info? (other than here, yahoo sports, espn, etc)

Mostly from local Indy reporters at camp and people who attended camp. He's been practicing with the 1st team and he's been turning quite a few heads. Seems everyone who has talked about camp has made mention of how well he's done.

With Tommie Harris now being available to practice we'll see if Nevis stays with the 1's or gets moved to the 2's. I'd say when it's all said and done there will be a fresh, HEAVY rotation with Nevis, Harris, and Johnson as our "three starters" to keep Harris fresh, and get Nevis playing time if he could potentially become our franchise monster DT.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ijalana getting a shot at RG at some point during the season. Mike Pollack isn't very good and Jacques McClendon is just a big question mark. The only guard i'm ok with now is Kyle Devan. I still don't understand why we brought Diem back, he was bad in pass protection and run blocking last year :pullhair:

I dunno... It may take some injuries to start at guard. I think we'll slowly mix him into the lineup, but unless we have injuries and he has to step up and start (or he just tears it up when he plays) I'd say he'll spend this system as a backup.

Mostly from local Indy reporters at camp and people who attended camp. He's been practicing with the 1st team and he's been turning quite a few heads. Seems everyone who has talked about camp has made mention of how well he's done.

With Tommie Harris now being available to practice we'll see if Nevis stays with the 1's or gets moved to the 2's. I'd say when it's all said and done there will be a fresh, HEAVY rotation with Nevis, Harris, and Johnson as our "three starters" to keep Harris fresh, and get Nevis playing time if he could potentially become our franchise monster DT.

Nevis will make a great pass rushing DT with his speed and power. I think all the Colts fans will know his name by the end of the season really well.

Nice. What you said has me fealling much better about the DT position. I like the sound of Nevis, Harris, and Johnson. DE looks good too I think. If we get the improvement I'm hoping for, our LBs will look better too.

Nice. What you said has me fealling much better about the DT position. I like the sound of Nevis, Harris, and Johnson. DE looks good too I think. If we get the improvement I'm hoping for, our LBs will look better too.

I think Ernie Sims will make an impact this year for sure. If you look up his stats for the years he was with the Lions he led the NFC in tackles for those years. That's what we need.

Ijalana is playing RG. He's versatile enough to play it.

Carter will see little playing time and I'm sure we'll see him struggle with protections and audibles, as all Colts RB's did in their rookie stints. Addai was the most proficient at picking up the aforementioned skills, but we've seen all the others stumble mightily.

I believe Ijalana will nail down his job and exceed all expectations.

i think Castonzo will struggle for a while if he is thrown into the fire and asked to start immediately. i think Nevis is in the best position to succeed. he was an absolute monster at LSU, one of the most dominant defenders in the nation.

There has been word that Castonzo has been mauling most of his opposition so idk about that, the guy is great at pass blocking so he is definitely gonna have a stellar year.

There has been word that Castonzo has been mauling most of his opposition so idk about that, the guy is great at pass blocking so he is definitely gonna have a stellar year.

If by "mauling", you mean Freeney's whipping boy all day long... then, yes.

But, really, Castonzo will be okay. All rook LTs get abused by Dwight early on.

If by "mauling", you mean Freeney's whipping boy all day long... then, yes.

But, really, Castonzo will be okay. All rook LTs get abused by Dwight early on.

Noooo i meant by him whipping whoever he went against on one on ones.

Well, I see a ton of potential and possibly a lot of success for all of our draft picks this year. I think, other than 98', this is my favorite Colts' draft class in recent memory. Castanzo and Ijalana should and I think will be cornerstones of the franchise for the next 10-12 years. Nevis could end up being a monster for us, I've heard comparisons to Warren Sapp (hopefully that doesn't mean in the domestic violence area :FBwink: ). Rucker is a tall, physical corner that's good in press coverage, which we've been lacking like forever now, so he has a lot of potential for success. And Delone Carter, you just never know what he could amount to. Running backs are very hard to predict, but the kid is a powerful, hard nosed runner and we've been lacking that for a long time now too. He's got a shot to make a big impact.

Out of all of those guys, I think, in the longrun, Ijalana will prove to be the most 'successful'. Both he and Castanzo are gonna be huge assets to our team, but Ijalana is the better run blocker, described as having a mean streak. I think the running game is gonna be a huge part of our teams' future success, even moreso than passing in a few years. Thusly Ijalana will be the biggest key to our success out of the bunch, which I suppose would make him the 'most successful'. On a side note, I really hope we continue to add some top notch talent to our o-line in the next couple of drafts, and turn our o-line into one of the best in the league for many years to come.

While all this gushing over our DT rotation is a bit premature, let me join in and remind you that we have Moala as well. I also think Mathews will add some nice depth, at least. Let's hope, it's been a long time - a long LONG time - sense we have been able to celebrate our DT's.