Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cut/keep List

amff

We should cut Bullitt and Addai to free up cap space. We then should get Brackett and Freeney to take pay cuts. If we can get something good in return for Freeney then great.

We need to bring back Garcon, Mathis as an OLB, Pollak as C under lower contract, and Wheeler as OLB.

I don't think contract wise we will cut Bracket but next year I think we can w/o a cap hit. I'd love for Gonzo, Lacey, Bullit, to be gone and for us to find suitable replacements. In free agency we could loose several current Colts and I'm on the fence if we should really blow the roster up or salvage veterans to support whoever the QB is.

We can't cut Wayne, Saturday, Gonzo, Tamme, or Lacy they are free agents we would just simply not resign them.

I think this thread was asking "who should we keep and cut?" I don't think the point was to analyze everyone's post and attempt to correct them. Besides that, you didn't even answer the question...

I think we'll cut Brackett, Bullitt, Clark (as much as it pains me to say, but he's been REALLY inconsistent as of late), Sims, and quite possibly Addai too.

I doubt anyone will be cut, but Wayne more then likely wont be resigned, especially if they dont keep manning. why dish up the money for one aging guy and not the other (thats assuming PM is 100% of course). Garcon will be resigned and mathis will be left to explore other oppertunities. scary thought about letting wayne or mathis walk is the pats could easily pick one of them up. they have been looking for a deep threat for brady and welker is a FA. scary thought

I think this thread was asking "who should we keep and cut?" I don't think the point was to analyze everyone's post and attempt to correct them. Besides that, you didn't even answer the question...

I think we'll cut Brackett, Bullitt, Clark (as much as it pains me to say, but he's been REALLY inconsistent as of late), Sims, and quite possibly Addai too.

but yet you have no problem analyzing my post...

I was pointing out we wouldn't cut those players and since people have been trying to figure out things with the sallary cap lately I do think it's important to understand there is a difference between cutting someone and just having that player leave via free agency. If you don't like that just ignore the post don't do the very thing to me you had an issue with me doing in your opinion.

I've said all along when asked these questions in other threads I am going to hold my opinion on who we release till after I see what happens with Peyton because I think that is going to impact what we do or don't do.

I doubt anyone will be cut, but Wayne more then likely wont be resigned, especially if they dont keep manning. why dish up the money for one aging guy and not the other (thats assuming PM is 100% of course). Garcon will be resigned and mathis will be left to explore other oppertunities. scary thought about letting wayne or mathis walk is the pats could easily pick one of them up. they have been looking for a deep threat for brady and welker is a FA. scary thought

I don't see why we would bring Wayne back without Manning. He's an aging WR who odds are isn't going to be nearly the player he was by the time Luck mature's into what he's gong to be.

Mathis on the other hand I think is coming back and is going to get the tag. He seems like he wants to be here (he was the first player who spoke out when we hired Pagino that I saw, he was in Fox 59 that day for an interview.) I saw quote on here from Irsay saying we would be keeping Mathis and Freeney and Pagino is already talking about how we are going to use him in the new D. Frankly with Mathis's age and production level useing the tag on him makes sense. From an age stand point I don't think it makes sense on Wayne and from a production level I don't think it makes sense for Garcon.

Irsay has already said we will keep Mathis AND Garcon, not one or the other...and Wayne hasnt been a deep threat in years. He is a route runner, and a good one...but absolutely NOT a deep threat.

I hate to think it, but I'm starting to get the feeling Manning, Freeney and Wayne are all going to be playing elsewhere next year.

It feels a little like the comfy old threadbare sweatshirt you've worn since college and your wife decides needs to be discarded. It doesn't fit like it used to, but you have a long history with it, and its still one of your favorites, but somehow, deep down, you know she's right.

The cost-to-value proposition for all three has inverted this year, and letting them go will provide more "room in the drawer" for an "updated wardrobe".

I could see us cutting Snow and Bullitt. Outside of Freeney those are the only two that give us any kind of savings. Everyother cut would be for an amount that wouldn't make a whole lot of difference.

FAs we will keep I am going with Garcon, Mathis, Pollak, Tamme, Anderson, Sims, Gonzo.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think signing gonzo to a vet minimum deal is worth it, just for the depth at WR. Since per my list and our roster w/o Rookies would only have Garcon, Collie, Gonzo, and White. With Gonzo, you know you have a talented WR that has had injury issues. To me it would be worth it to gamble a small amount of money to see if he can stay on the field, because when on the field we know how good he truly is. I could see it paying off like Anderson/Sims did last year.

I think a lot of this hinges on whether or not Manning is back and what kind of contract they work out with him. I think that will determine who we can afford to keep. Also, if a few vets agree to rework their contracts that may also allow us to keep other FAs.

I do think we need to let Bullitt and Bracket go. They are both too injury prone. Gonzo is in the same boat, however I think they could re-sign him for a cheap price and see if he is salvagable...plus I like Gonzo... if he could just stay healthy!

Wayne I think will be gone. I just don't see him being cap friendly enough, based on his "I'm not going to make it easy for them..." comment.

Mathis I think we could re-sign to a cap friendly deal. I think he understands how the finances work.

Garcon... I am 50/50 with him. I guess it'll depend what kind of deal he is willing to take... I love his work ethic and he is a greath athlete.... but he needs to work on his concentration issues and securing the ball.

Addai... I think Addai is gone... the tandum of Brown/Carter proved to work very well last year, especially when we used a fullback. I think we draft a RB to groom in the draft.

Saturday-Depends on if Manning is back or not.

Tamme-we re-sign.

Not sure who else is really "on the bubble" at this point.... but I dont see us throwing out all our vets just yet.

I think you are right about Mathias

Its not logical top change positions on a player in his 30s..

If we use a base 3-4...Mathias becomes a very expensive part-time (passing down) end

..If you are dropping him to OLB..you might as well try Hughes..who is younger and has played that role

I think a lot of this hinges on whether or not Manning is back and what kind of contract they work out with him. I think that will determine who we can afford to keep. Also, if a few vets agree to rework their contracts that may also allow us to keep other FAs.

I do think we need to let Bullitt and Bracket go. They are both too injury prone. Gonzo is in the same boat, however I think they could re-sign him for a cheap price and see if he is salvagable...plus I like Gonzo... if he could just stay healthy!

Wayne I think will be gone. I just don't see him being cap friendly enough, based on his "I'm not going to make it easy for them..." comment.

Mathis I think we could re-sign to a cap friendly deal. I think he understands how the finances work.

Garcon... I am 50/50 with him. I guess it'll depend what kind of deal he is willing to take... I love his work ethic and he is a greath athlete.... but he needs to work on his concentration issues and securing the ball.

Addai... I think Addai is gone... the tandum of Brown/Carter proved to work very well last year, especially when we used a fullback. I think we draft a RB to groom in the draft.

Saturday-Depends on if Manning is back or not.

Tamme-we re-sign.

Not sure who else is really "on the bubble" at this point.... but I dont see us throwing out all our vets just yet.

We really cant let Wayne and Garcon both go... we dont have the draft choices or the free agent money to replace them

Its probably one or the other (or both) there..

I hope you are right about 'throwing out the vets'

Long range rebuilding plans rarely work....You've got to live for today.

I agree with you there, Oldunclemark... If one goes the other stays... Question is, which one is which? Right now I think Garcon has the edge being that he is younger and more of a deep threat... However you just never know how these things end up... Maybe they both end up staying... maybe they do both end up leaving... Guess time will tell!

Itll be exciting when these moves start happening. I have enjoyed this offseason already!!

I agree with you there, Oldunclemark... If one goes the other stays... Question is, which one is which? Right now I think Garcon has the edge being that he is younger and more of a deep threat... However you just never know how these things end up... Maybe they both end up staying... maybe they do both end up leaving... Guess time will tell!

Itll be exciting when these moves start happening. I have enjoyed this offseason already!!

This change was forced upon us by circumstance...

..but we have a chance to fix some problems defenisvely that we've had for years...

..and i think that if we end up with Manning and Luck....we have a very exciting 2012..and a bright future on offense...

We're always going to be an offensive team...Its our indoor stadium and our rivals.

We're always going to be the team that averages 28 points a game and plays high-scoring shootouts..

In truth..that's the future of the NFL...31-27 every other week

Gonzo should be cut because of his attitude. Wayne and Garcon will be kept or cut based on contract demands. Clark should be traded because his contract is too expensive for a one dimentional TE. Tamme can give the team the same receiving production as Clark. What is needed is a complete TE that can catch and block. The Colts are moving to a more balanced offense which will use a FB more often thereby reduce the number of plays using dual TEs or a third slot receiver. Garcon should be a priority because of his blocking as much as for his big play ability. We can not afford to keep both Tamme and Clark because neither is a good blocker. Bracket is over priced and should be cut. Lacy should be kept for depth and the new DB coaches may help him with technique. Pollack may have been hampered by lack of coaching but he seems to be iniury prone. Saturday is old and should retire. Hopefully the strength and conditioning coaches will make the players who are kept stronger and healthier but a change in offensive philosophy will dictate some current players moving on. If Freeney is opposed to playing LB he should be traded because he will be over priced as a situational pass rusher. Grigson has stated his desire to find a starter in each round of the draft and this draft is strong in CBs and OGs which are areas of need. Pagano is a players coach but he has to develop new leaders on the Colts defense.

Gonzo should be cut because of his attitude. Wayne and Garcon will be kept or cut based on contract demands. Clark should be traded because his contract is too expensive for a one dimentional TE. Tamme can give the team the same receiving production as Clark. What is needed is a complete TE that can catch and block. The Colts are moving to a more balanced offense which will use a FB more often thereby reduce the number of plays using dual TEs or a third slot receiver. Garcon should be a priority because of his blocking as much as for his big play ability. We can not afford to keep both Tamme and Clark because neither is a good blocker. Bracket is over priced and should be cut. Lacy should be kept for depth and the new DB coaches may help him with technique. Pollack may have been hampered by lack of coaching but he seems to be iniury prone. Saturday is old and should retire. Hopefully the strength and conditioning coaches will make the players who are kept stronger and healthier but a change in offensive philosophy will dictate some current players moving on. If Freeney is opposed to playing LB he should be traded because he will be over priced as a situational pass rusher. Grigson has stated his desire to find a starter in each round of the draft and this draft is strong in CBs and OGs which are areas of need. Pagano is a players coach but he has to develop new leaders on the Colts defense.

There are definitely posters on this site with a far better knowledge of players salaries and the team's cap situation, but I believe there only negligible savings for cutting Clark or Brackett because of the way their contracts were structured. If either are gone, it'll be because of performance, not potential savings.

I also doubt Freeney can be traded because teams won't want to swallow his current contract. I think it is far more likely he'll be cut. And where does the Gonzo attitude comment come from? I have nothing to add about whether to keep him or not, but I haven't heard anything about him having a bad attitiude.

There are definitely posters on this site with a far better knowledge of players salaries and the team's cap situation, but I believe there only negligible savings for cutting Clark or Brackett because of the way their contracts were structured. If either are gone, it'll be because of performance, not potential savings.

Cutting Brackett will save $200K to the cap (due to the acceleration of unamortized prorated pieces of his bonus)

Cutting Clark will save $1.74MM to the cap (due to the acceleration of unamortized prorated pieces of his bonus)

I also doubt Freeney can be traded because teams won't want to swallow his current contract. I think it is far more likely he'll be cut. And where does the Gonzo attitude comment come from? I have nothing to add about whether to keep him or not, but I haven't heard anything about him having a bad attitiude.

If you can find a team willing to pick up the $14.035 for his 2012 salary, and give the Colts something in return, you can trade him.

The current franchise tag for DEs is $10.6MM. If you can find a team that values Freeney $3.4MM more than a franchise DE, you may have a trading partner.

Cutting Brackett will save $200K to the cap (due to the acceleration of unamortized prorated pieces of his bonus)

Cutting Clark will save $1.74MM to the cap (due to the acceleration of unamortized prorated pieces of his bonus)

If you can find a team willing to pick up the $14.035 for his 2012 salary, and give the Colts something in return, you can trade him.

The current franchise tag for DEs is $10.6MM. If you can find a team that values Freeney $3.4MM more than a franchise DE, you may have a trading partner.

Thanks for the follow up. Strong teamwork.

It is easy to say to cut Snow, but where do you find a great 100% accurate long snapper. I have never heard of us training one that has done well. One bad snap, and they have the ball deep in your territory or a touchdown. Can not remember drafting a long snapper? Freeney, like Mathis, can single handedly change a game. I strongly think he will restructure and take a lot more money over the coming years. Tag Mathis of course. In a 3-4 defense, who else besides Nevis would play one of the 3 down? They tend to be big guys don't they?

cutting bracket only saves 200k this year, but wipes him off the books for 2013...correct?

Brackett, Bullitt, Moala, Mookie, Snow, Link,

Jury's out on Addai and Clarke they don't take pay cuts they are gone too.

Freeney contract reworked or traded/cut.

wouldn't mind keeping moala only to see if he can play DE in a 3-4. some thought that would be his best position coming out of college..

This is a possible cut/keep if there is a full rebuild. The team should also try to keep a few of the vets, to have a little experience on the rooster (some moved to the keep category). Which vets to keep should be decided from a cap point of view. This is a very age based (with a hint of cap) cut/keep, and since I don’t have that much knowledge on all the players, feel free to comment.

Cut:

Peyton Manning, Justin Snow, Adam Vinatieri, Quan Cosby, Curtis Painter, Terrence Johnson

Trade for draft picks if possible or cut:

Dwight Freeney, Dallas Clark, Joseph Addai, Gary Brackett, Melvin Bullitt

Not resign:

Ernie Sims, Anthony Gonzalez, Kerry Collins, Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday, Ryan Diem, Robert Mathis, Tyler Brayton, Kevin Bentley, Dan Orlovsky

Resign:

Pierre Garçon, Jacob Tamme, Philip Wheeler, Jamaal Anderson, Mike Pollak, Eric Foster, David Caldwell, Jacob Lacey