Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caldwell

gonzo4gonzo

Um...well, since we are about to go into pre-season games and the off-season has been so curtailed, don't you think that this might not be the best time to call for a new head coach? Not to mention that as a head coach, Jim Caldwell does have a pretty good track record.

Thank you. I will take that as a compliment. Why is this the worst post ever? What has he done. sure he got us to the super Bowl, but he got out coached and he got out coached last year too. Like i said nothing against the man, but I would lie to see someone else coaching the team

Why do people have to take shots at the coaches. I haven't had anybody offer me a big paycheck to coach yet. I think Coach Caldwell has don a good job and will probably continue to do so. Since I can not coach better then he I will refuse to bad mouth him. Listen to what the new players are saying and how happy the are to get a chance to play for coach Caldwell. Give the man his due unless you can do better.

Thank you. I will take that as a compliment. Why is this the worst post ever? What has he done. sure he got us to the super Bowl, but he got out coached and he got out coached last year too. Like i said nothing against the man, but I would lie to see someone else coaching the team

With a lockout shortened season, our big advantage is our stability. Returning Coach, Returning QB, Returning vets, That's all a big deal.

BESIDES ALL THAT, We've been to the Super Bowl with Coach, he was great last season with an super-bowl-cursed-injury-wrecked-team, and he's only going to be more relaxed this season. (If that's possible)

And EVEN IF I DIDN'T LIKE CALDWELL, It's two weeks to the pre-season, do you seriously think that's enough time to bring in a new coach??

That, dear sir, is why that was [by far] the worst post I've ever seen. Period.

With a lockout shortened season, our big advantage is our stability. Returning Coach, Returning QB, Returning vets, That's all a big deal.

BESIDES ALL THAT, We've been to the Super Bowl with Coach, he was great last season with an super-bowl-cursed-injury-wrecked-team, and he's only going to be more relaxed this season. (If that's possible)

And EVEN IF I DIDN'T LIKE CALDWELL, It's two weeks to the pre-season, do you seriously think that's enough time to bring in a new coach??

That, dear sir, is why that was [by far] the worst post I've ever seen. Period.

Definitely a bad idea for this year! If a really special coach expressed an interest in the job next year, then maybe. If Jon Gruden wanted to coach the Colts next year, I'd be all for it!

i really dont understand why everyone hates coach caldwell i think he has been great for us to say he got outcoached in the superbowl is really overexagerrating to me because the colts were dominating most of that game just had missed chances and the fact that freeney was hurt enabled Drew Brees to go pass happy on us. I really believe that if the saints didnt recover that suprise kick no one would say he got outcoached. Also the timeout that he called against jacksonville when they kicked that long field goal wasnt a bad call i think u guys forget that kelvin hayden dropped a definite pick six like the play before the field goal. and also they jets timeout do u really think that if jerraud powers or hayden wouldve been on braylon that the same outcome wouldve happened i doubt it i think he has just had some bad luck as of late with the injuries and all but i dont see it continuing to happen

When other coaches were game planning for their next opponent every week last season, Caldwell was scouting bodies to replace an IR every week.

When other coaches had three days to practice and prepare, Caldwell had one when it was all said and done.

Not to mention, he lost every weapon he could and still fielded a playoff team that came within some poor special teams of a Divisional.

Gets my vote!

i really dont understand why everyone hates coach caldwell i think he has been great for us to say he got outcoached in the superbowl is really overexagerrating to me because the colts were dominating most of that game just had missed chances and the fact that freeney was hurt enabled Drew Brees to go pass happy on us. I really believe that if the saints didnt recover that suprise kick no one would say he got outcoached. Also the timeout that he called against jacksonville when they kicked that long field goal wasnt a bad call i think u guys forget that kelvin hayden dropped a definite pick six like the play before the field goal. and also they jets timeout do u really think that if jerraud powers or hayden wouldve been on braylon that the same outcome wouldve happened i doubt it i think he has just had some bad luck as of late with the injuries and all but i dont see it continuing to happen

I definitely think he got outcoached in the Super Bowl. I'm not among those calling for his head, but I'm also not unwilling to criticize him when I think it's warranted. We sat back in deep shell coverage and let Drew Brees convert 32 passes on us and keep our defense on the field for huge stretches at a time. And on offense, we didn't do anything to adjust to the Saints increasing pressure in the 3rd and mostly the 4th quarter. Caldwell's decision to kick a long field goal with Stover was a huge mistake. And there were other things that I think he messed up on in that game. Payton and Brees had a solid game plan to stay away from any pass rush (didn't matter that much that Freeney was hurt because Brees was playing hot potato and we were playing 5-7 yards off his receivers). Gregg Williams put together a really nice defensive strategy that worked out mostly because they were able to get the lead. And we didn't make any adjustments, on either side of the ball. I have no problem saying that Caldwell got outcoached in the Super Bowl.

And it has nothing to do with the onside kick.

I definitely think he got outcoached in the Super Bowl. I'm not among those calling for his head, but I'm also not unwilling to criticize him when I think it's warranted. We sat back in deep shell coverage and let Drew Brees convert 32 passes on us and keep our defense on the field for huge stretches at a time. And on offense, we didn't do anything to adjust to the Saints increasing pressure in the 3rd and mostly the 4th quarter. Caldwell's decision to kick a long field goal with Stover was a huge mistake. And there were other things that I think he messed up on in that game. Payton and Brees had a solid game plan to stay away from any pass rush (didn't matter that much that Freeney was hurt because Brees was playing hot potato and we were playing 5-7 yards off his receivers). Gregg Williams put together a really nice defensive strategy that worked out mostly because they were able to get the lead. And we didn't make any adjustments, on either side of the ball. I have no problem saying that Caldwell got outcoached in the Super Bowl.

And it has nothing to do with the onside kick.

Playing 5-7 yards off their receivers is not the coaching decision it is the players decision, but he was going up against a team that was destined to win the Super Bowl with all the turmoil that happen to the city in 2005 and they were a better team too. I give Caldwell two more years then you might have to find a new coach, but last year was a bad year for him so that shouldnt count but it does. I think it will get better this year with everybody staying healthy.

Playing 5-7 yards off their receivers is not the coaching decision it is the players decision, but he was going up against a team that was destined to win the Super Bowl with all the turmoil that happen to the city in 2005 and they were a better team too. I give Caldwell two more years then you might have to find a new coach, but last year was a bad year for him so that shouldnt count but it does. I think it will get better this year with everybody staying healthy.

???

The coaches determine the scheme, and the players go out and execute it. The defensive backs played off the receivers because the coaches decided they wanted them to. And even if the players did it of their own volition, the coaches would have been responsible for making an adjustment and putting their players in better position to make plays. But that's irrelevant; the coaches implement the scheme.

And as for all the nonsense about the Saints being destined to win, that's hogwash. They won because they played better and they converted a few big plays, while we missed on a few routine ones (Garcon's third down drop, running the clock out at the end of the half, Stover's FG which should have been a punt or a four-down decision, the onside recovery, the interception). They made adjustments as the game went on, and we didn't. Nothing else matters.

I'll say this about Caldwell, he coached an injury devestated team back to the playoffs. Along the way he made two equally devestating bad calls (Jacksonville timeout and Jets timeout). I don't blame Caldwell for the miffed onside kick at the Superbowl, he had his hands team out there and Baskett just couldn't hold on. If he can learn from the two mistakes from last year and shows better clock management then I'm back in his court, if he can't then he won't be long in Indy after this year.

Its not the players decision. Its the scheme we play. In a cover 2 the corners rarely play on the LOS. It is frustrating to watch at times.. but it is what it is..

Definitely a bad idea for this year! If a really special coach expressed an interest in the job next year, then maybe. If Jon Gruden wanted to coach the Colts next year, I'd be all for it!

Not too thrilled with Caldwell either but I don't think Gruden is the answer. Look at the mess he made of Tampa Bay before he left. The man is too offense focused for my taste not enough knowledge about defense which is the side of the ball where this team is lacking.