Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coaches to Watch in 2017

Zoltan

My honest opinion. 

I believe that Pagano has to get this team to the playoffs or it's over for him in Indy.

IF WE FIRE PAGANO AT SEASON'S END. BIG IF!!!

I think the best head coach the Indianapolis Colts can hire is David Shaw. Team him back up with Luck. Build a running game, and let Luck finally have an opportunity to control a game, instead always having to fight to come back.

10 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

My honest opinion. 

I believe that Pagano has to get this team to the playoffs or it's over for him in Indy.

I think the best head coach the Indianapolis Colts can hire is David Shaw. Team him back up with Luck. Build a running game, and let Luck finally have an opportunity to control a game, instead always having to fight to come back.

David Shaw is one name I didn't even think of but that could work if we lay an egg this season and fire Chuck.

Here are a couple of names that I think are worth watching.

Jim Bob Cooter - Has done a nice job as the Lions OC. He is young but I can easily see him getting some serious consideration.

Mike Vrabel - This will be his first year as the Texans DC. They should do well. He has a great reputation. I think he will quickly rises to the top of head coach candidate lists next winter.

5 hours ago, MTC said:

A good coordinator does not equal a good head coach.

5 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Wade Phillips is living proof

I completely agree but it's interesting to watch how some of these coordinators rise to become hot names for new job openings.

6 hours ago, ar7 said:

Here are a couple of names that I think are worth watching.

Jim Bob Cooter - Has done a nice job as the Lions OC. He is young but I can easily see him getting some serious consideration.

Mike Vrabel - This will be his first year as the Texans DC. They should do well. He has a great reputation. I think he will quickly rises to the top of head coach candidate lists next winter.

I would be surprised if Vrabel is in the running for head coach in the next 4 years, he does have a great reputation but just hasn't been coaching long.

Jim Bob Cooter is an interesting one though especially after a young OC (can't remember his name) was hired by LA Rams to lead there team.

What do ya'll think about Steve Sarkisian, he will definitely be compared to Kyle Shanahan's offense but I think a strong season could lift his name up in the ranks pretty quick since he already has HC experience. The only thing that could really hurt him would be the drinking problem.

9 hours ago, MTC said:

A good coordinator does not equal a good head coach.

In my humble opinion, if I were looking at any coordinator to become our head coach then I would dig deep in the college ranks and fast track Matt Canada. He would need some consultants to advise him for a few seasons, but he is going to be a heck of a head coach someday. 

He is an Indiana native too. 

On 8/29/2017 at 7:47 PM, BlueShoe said:

My honest opinion. 

Should've fired him this past year when they pushed Grigson out the door. If the Colts have a losing season, it's not a complete loss if he's finally fired since he definitely has wore out his welcome...

Wish you guys could've hired Sean McDermott. He was largely responsible for the Panthers defensive success in 2013 and 2015. Probably going to be a good defensive coach in Buffalo in the upcoming years...

What coach will I be watching? Chuck Pagano. He is the head coach of the Colts right now. If he does a good job he will be extended. Firing a head coach before a season is even played is being narrow minded. A lot of you are making these claims if the Colts don't do this or don't do that he will be fired. Last time I checked as far as I know none of your names is Jim Irsay.

Undermining Pagano without giving him a chance is a low blow not only to the Colts but for Jim Irsay as well. Irsay has made it clear that the Colts record would not be the determining factor if he stays or goes. I have no reason to believe anything else at this time. What your personal opinion of Pagano is makes no difference to Irsay.

Will Pagano be extended? I have no clue but nobody else in this forum knows any better either.

The interview with Irsay made it clear he feels this team is in a reset mode. That IMO means it starts with a clean slate and that includes Pagano.

You may talk till your blue in the face but if Pagano coaches well this season he will be extended. If he don't he will be fired. It's not rocket science, it's real simple but Pagano's job does not depend on a division title and a run into the playoffs. Not with a 50% new team. Irsay and Ballard will make that choice at the end of this up coming season.  

21 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Firing a head coach before a season is even played is being narrow minded.

I know you're not putting words in my mouth. 

I doubt any rational owner would even consider firing Pagano until we were out of playoff contention. 

Must be arguing with yourself again. 

5 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I know you're not putting words in my mouth. 

I doubt any rational owner would even consider firing Pagano until we were out of playoff contention. 

Must be arguing with yourself again. 

There is no argument. I don't have a problem understanding or comprehending exactly what Irsay has said.

It is not rocket science. If Pagano coaches good he will be extended. If not he will be fired. It's pretty simple. Playoff contention has zero to do with it.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

There is no argument. I don't have a problem understanding or comprehending exactly what Irsay has said.

It is not rocket science. If Pagano coaches good he will be extended. If not he will be fired. It's pretty simple. Playoff contention has zero to do with it.

So you have an opinion. Good. 

So do others.

Not rocket science. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

No, I am repeating what Irsay said. Not my opinion.

I listened to Irsay too, and he didn't spell it out the way you believe he did. Your understanding may or may not be correct. Anyone with experience listening to Irsay knows this.

I believe Irsay is a fan of Pagano, and I have said so long before we fired Grigson.

7 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I listened to Irsay too, and he didn't spell it out the way you believe he did. Your understanding may or may not be correct. Anyone with experience listening to Irsay knows this.

I believe Irsay is a fan of Pagano, and I have said so long before we fired Grigson.

I guess I have been listening to what Irsay has said just as long as anyone. All the way back since he was a GM.

I have learned how to read between the lines of what he does say. If you want to interpret you way feel free.

Mean time we will all wait and see.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I guess I have been listening to what Irsay has said just as long as anyone. All the way back since he was a GM.

I have learned how to read between the lines of what he does say. If you want to interpret you way feel free.

Mean time we will all wait and see.

I have listened to Irsay since he was GM, and I have seen every game since 1984. Thank you.

I am not sure what your point even is. You listened to Jim Irsay and came away with a specific conclusion. Feel free to believe any conclusion you want to. I have not said you are wrong to have an opinion. However, I am not sold on your opinion. I believe Irsay has left himself open enough to keep Pagano at seasons end or to let him go. He hasn't committed to anything yet.

When Irsay implies that we are resetting/rebuilding and Pagano has control of the locker room, you might hear that "as long as the players give Pagano full effort and believe" then he is safe in Indy. A person might also come away thinking that Irsay is playing it coy, because he does not want to answer questions about Pagano's job status for the next 3 months. 

I know the Jim Irsay who fires people when they don't meet expectations. I have had this debate with Colts fans on message boards for 20 plus years. Not many believed me when I said he would fire Polian, and he did. This is because everyone must be held accountable. Anyone who has listened to Jim Irsay over the past 30 years would know that about him. The only piece missing to this puzzle is knowing exactly what Irsay's expectations of the 2017 Indianapolis Colts are. If we knew his expectations then we would know the bar for Pagano. And with Jim Irsay, there is always and will always be a bar of expectations.

I believe that Jim Irsay loves Chuck Pagano. He deeply cares for the man. However, I also think that Pagano has to get this team to the playoffs or at least above 500. If not then the new GM will have some wiggle room to bring in his own coach. You know, the top major event that new GM's typically do. That is not to say that Pagano and Ballard cannot work together, because they can. There is even precedence of this kind of marriage working throughout the league.

Bottom line is Pagano must produce! He will be held accountable. 

I refer to my original comment:

You can have your own opinion! Just stop chastising others who do not completely share your opinion.

Yo let's not talk about the Colts coaching, there's other threads for that. I'm more curious to see what coordinators out there take the next step in there careers and stand out. I know the NFL website put out there coordinators to watch article out and to me it seemed none of them stood out compared to last year although they seem to show more special teams coaches this year, and everyone is in love with the Patriots Coordinators.

9 hours ago, Colton Stenger said:

Yo let's not talk about the Colts coaching, there's other threads for that. I'm more curious to see what coordinators out there take the next step in there careers and stand out. I know the NFL website put out there coordinators to watch article out and to me it seemed none of them stood out compared to last year although they seem to show more special teams coaches this year, and everyone is in love with the Patriots Coordinators.

Agreed.  Lets stick on topic.

My difficulty with picking coordinators for top jobs is that HC is more about organisation, motivation and overseeing of the team as a whole and so its very difficult, from the outside, to know who has the characteristics required.  So many good coordinators (McDaniels being the obvious one) have tried and failed but I would say that doesnt mean its worth another shot.

I like the idea of looking at a young head coach from college with an upwards arrow and bringing them in to hopefully have a GM/HC partnership that work together for years to come.  I have to confess my knowledge of the college game is not huge as access to games, etc is not great where I am, but that would be my preferred route.

On 9/5/2017 at 0:35 AM, DaveA1102 said:

Agreed.  Lets stick on topic.

My difficulty with picking coordinators for top jobs is that HC is more about organisation, motivation and overseeing of the team as a whole and so its very difficult, from the outside, to know who has the characteristics required.  So many good coordinators (McDaniels being the obvious one) have tried and failed but I would say that doesnt mean its worth another shot.

I like the idea of looking at a young head coach from college with an upwards arrow and bringing them in to hopefully have a GM/HC partnership that work together for years to come.  I have to confess my knowledge of the college game is not huge as access to games, etc is not great where I am, but that would be my preferred route.

I agree about McDaniels I never really liked him as a Head Coach, but I really don't believe in the Belichick coaching tree spawns. When it comes to college coaches I feel they have to have a background in the NFL because if they don't they try to treat NFL players like college kids and lose the locker room.

After reading your's what do you think of Steve Sarkisian he had a couple good years as a HC in college and is now an OC for the falcons. He did have a drinking problem at USC and Washington but I think a team would look over that if he shows that he is rehabilitating.

46 minutes ago, Colton Stenger said:

I agree about McDaniels I never really liked him as a Head Coach, but I really don't believe in the Belichick coaching tree spawns. When it comes to college coaches I feel they have to have a background in the NFL because if they don't they try to treat NFL players like college kids and lose the locker room.

After reading your's what do you think of Steve Sarkisian he had a couple good years as a HC in college and is now an OC for the falcons. He did have a drinking problem at USC and Washington but I think a team would look over that if he shows that he is rehabilitating.

Its a good point about the difference between coaching college and NFL.  By coincidence I was watching the Troy Aikmen football life last night and they were talking about Barry Switzer struggling to change his mindset going from college to the Cowboys, although very specific circumstances.

The league has shown repeatedly it is a place willing to give second chances and so I agree that his previous problems would be overlooked if he was going in the right direction.

My issue is that I always believe you never want to be the guy that follows "the guy". Taking over from Shanahan is almost a thankless task as you either tank and you look poor while Kyle looks even better, or you do well and people put a lot of the praise on the talent.