Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian Reminisces On Peytons Recovery

Fr33UpFr33ney

Not bitter, in fact I liked what Polian did for the organization.

HOWEVER, theres no reason for him confusing the already volitile issue when he's on the OUTSIDE now.

I thought so too but no problem.

You know, its funny how some (and I really mean all of us) yell from the rooftops to respect each others opinions but don't always follow their own advice.

Oh well, its been a difficult year.

Then if I offended you I apologize. I'm certainly not immune from making offensive comments, and I routinely do respect your opinion (and advocate the importance of board civility).

I thought that in total my post was quite banal. I surprised at the passion with which you responded to Polian's comments, and confused by your repeated mentions of Polian's son, who has nothing to do with this. While I absolutely respect your right to express your opinion, I happen to disagree with it completely. Believe me, I could have been substantially more sarcastic in expressing this. I guess the use of the word "spit" is frowned upon, but context is important. It's not like I was figuratively "hocking" one in your direction, nor suggesting that you were either. My intent was pretty innocent actually.

This MAC guy has no idea what he's talking about, they don't remove discs, WTH?

They fused 2 verterbrae together, they don't cut them out.

And HOW exactly am I supposed to respond to this without sounding like I'm flaming you? Many people on this board have been educating themselves about Peyton's problem for months. I needed less education because I had the same surgery myself. While I'm not even remotely an authority on the topic, to the extent that we are speaking in general terms on a football board, I do know what I'm talking about. I suggest that you research "diskectomy", and read Nsurg's posting history.

In short, there is a difference between disks and vertebrae. I never said that they removed the vertebrae, the surgery involves removing a disk and fusing the two adjacent vertebrae together (because without the cushioning disk your neck would otherwise be unstable). How can you be so confident that I have "no idea what I'm talking about" when you clearly suffer from this problem yourself?

And HOW exactly am I supposed to respond to this without sounding like I'm flaming you? Many people on this board have been educating themselves about Peyton's problem for months. I needed less education because I had the same surgery myself. While I'm not even remotely an authority on the topic, to the extent that we are speaking in general terms on a football board, I do know what I'm talking about. I suggest that you research "diskectomy", and read Nsurg's posting history.

In short, there is a difference between disks and vertebrae. I never said that they removed the vertebrae, the surgery involves removing a disk and fusing the two adjacent vertebrae together (because without the cushioning disk your neck would otherwise be unstable). How can you be so confident that I have "no idea what I'm talking about" when you clearly suffer from this problem yourself?

He never had a disk removed for his fusion. They never cut anything out like you've described. They might have cleared some loose material but they never removed a disk. That's a minimum 6 month recovery and Peyton's fusion is complete after 3-4. My dad has 3 degenerated disks in his back and is contemplating surgery.

But yeah, I missed your one post about you having the surgery and thought you had the terms mixed up so I take fault there.

He never had a disk removed for his fusion. They never cut anything out like you've described. They might have cleared some loose material but they never removed a disk. That's a minimum 6 month recovery and Peyton's fusion is complete after 3-4. My dad has 3 degenerated disks in his back and is contemplating surgery.

But yeah, I missed your one post about you having the surgery and thought you had the terms mixed up so I take fault there.

They absolutely removed the entire disk. The entire reason for fusion surgery is to remove the disk. His first and second surgeries were less invasive procedures intended to do as you describe. The purpose of them was to AVOID fusion surgery because it is so debilitating. It was only after the second surgery failed to solve the problem (apparently new symptoms appeared on top of the arm weakness) that they resorted to fusion.

Nobody has ever said that Peyton's fusion is 100%. That takes a good year. The doctors simply stated that it was stable enough for him to absorb a tackle. Peyton was so determined to get back on the field as quickly as possible that he chose to have an outmoded procedure (having the bone that's used to fill the gap left by the disk extracted from his own hip rather than just using sterile material from a bone bank) in the vain hope of it reaching this "good enough to take a hit" stage before the season was over. Then there was the trip to Europe for a procedure that's not even accepted here on top of it. The man just wants to play.

I returned to work 10 days after my surgery, but I have a desk job. They tell you not to drive early on because of the limited range of motion, and I'll tell you sitting in a car that's braking gently early on makes you feel like your head is about to fly off your body, but it doesn't take long to return to something resembling normalcy. You may be wise to avoid going to work for a moving company until your doctor gives you the "all clear", but you aren't laying in traction either. Peyton's problem is that he has a job in which people are trying to remove your head from your body in the normal course of events. Frankly the thought of him returning to play last season was just ridiculous. I doubt very much that any doctor would have recommended it.

This MAC guy has no idea what he's talking about, they don't remove discs, WTH?

They fused 2 verterbrae together, they don't cut them out.

They do remove the Intervetebral disc (the soft elastic connective tissue between each veterbrea) because it is usualy the perforation of these disc that cause the vetebrea to compress against nerves.

And that is what they did to Peyton, It's pretty gross, you can see it on youtube.

Then if I offended you I apologize. I'm certainly not immune from making offensive comments, and I routinely do respect your opinion (and advocate the importance of board civility).

I thought that in total my post was quite banal. I surprised at the passion with which you responded to Polian's comments, and confused by your repeated mentions of Polian's son, who has nothing to do with this. While I absolutely respect your right to express your opinion, I happen to disagree with it completely. Believe me, I could have been substantially more sarcastic in expressing this. I guess the use of the word "spit" is frowned upon, but context is important. It's not like I was figuratively "hocking" one in your direction, nor suggesting that you were either. My intent was pretty innocent actually.

No apology needed.

I've got both broad and strong shoulders.

I just didn't like the timing of polian's comments.

I also didn't like the way Polian's son was "railroaded" into the position (seemingly).

We FINALLY got manning and Irsay to stop the "blabbing".