Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Players Press Conference (merge)

Everyone

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Luck looks skinny...especially his throwing arm. 

I understand why they aren't giving a timeline...but it's still concerning. The "expectation" is that he will play 2017 doesn't sound very confident either. Here's hoping.

Here are a few tweets about the procedure / timeline:

Luck says it was his decision to have surgery back in January. Says team gave him ample resources/opinions from doctors.
    — Kevin Bowen (@KBowenColts) April 17, 2017

My understanding of #Colts QB Andrew Luck’s timeline post-surgery: 3 months to start throwing. 6 months for a full return. That’s mid-July.
    — Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) January 19, 2017

Luck essentially decided **  the treatment plan that was employed last season wasn't having enough impact **. Surgery was the best option.
    — Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen) April 17, 2017

This  below is (a portion of) what I said about it near the end of March, when it came out-

"This timeline ( 3 months/ 6 months ) seems to indicate that maybe there was no 'actual full repairs' necessary, but a general 'cleanup' of the shoulder area ** because non-interventional treatment wasn't effective enough..**

...I think Rapoport left out two words in his tweet... "up to".  This is a real time line, but seems somewhat conservative and upper limit... IF ... Andrew follow rehab exactly, not getting ahead or behind of schedule.  Unless there are setback items, I (personally) don't need updates on his condition until June."

I still stand by this post.

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Here are a few tweets about the procedure / timeline:

Luck says it was his decision to have surgery back in January. Says team gave him ample resources/opinions from doctors.
    — Kevin Bowen (@KBowenColts) April 17, 2017

My understanding of #Colts QB Andrew Luck’s timeline post-surgery: 3 months to start throwing. 6 months for a full return. That’s mid-July.
    — Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) January 19, 2017

Luck essentially decided **  the treatment plan that was employed last season wasn't having enough impact **. Surgery was the best option.
    — Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen) April 17, 2017

This  below is (a portion of) what I said about it near the end of March, when it came out-

"This timeline ( 3 months/ 6 months ) seems to indicate that maybe there was no 'actual full repairs' necessary, but a general 'cleanup' of the shoulder area ** because non-interventional treatment wasn't effective enough..**

...I think Rapoport left out two words in his tweet... "up to".  This is a real time line, but seems somewhat conservative and upper limit... IF ... Andrew follow rehab exactly, not getting ahead or behind of schedule.  Unless there are setback items, I (personally) don't need updates on his condition until June."

I still stand by this post.

Hum not sure when Andrew had surgery, but I do know something about shoulder surgeries having had unfortunately 3 of them, 2 on my throwing shoulder. Here is what I do know. After surgery almost all strength gone. Rehab starts surprisingly right away usually after a week or 2. Early rehab is about gaining and keeping range of motion and flexibility. In the weeks to follow you start to add VERY LIGHT weight and band training and stretching gradually increasing weight as time goes on! If everything progress's fine a throwing PROGRAM starts in about in 3 to 4 months. You continue to do the other training and and start to throw. It is painful because you break up scare tissue and build arm strength. This starts at ridiculously short distances! This takes say an additional 3 to 4 months. At about 8 to 9 months if all goes well you feel OK throwing as it continues to get stronger. I would say it really doesn't really feel say NORMAL for about a year. So if he had surgery in January 4  months would put him at May to start a throwing program. I recently had surgery in  Nov. I am still building arm strength, I play softball on a travel team. 5 months since my surgery. I would say August/ Sept, is when Andrew will be able to throw. He will continue to have aches an pains, even without being hit. The OL will really need to protect him. The good thing is Andrew is a professional athlete, with a rehab staff dedicated to him, and his recovery! He is in very good shape and young all good things which could lead to a faster recovery time.

On 18.4.2017 at 0:55 AM, shastamasta said:

Luck looks skinny...especially his throwing arm. 

I understand why they aren't giving a timeline...but it's still concerning. The "expectation" is that he will play 2017 doesn't sound very confident either. Here's hoping.

I lost 20 pounds or so in couple of months after labrum surgery, and I'm a lot smaller than Luck. My weight was back to normal about 6 months or so after the injury, same with strength level except the operated shoulder. Full strength to shoulder took few more months after that.

I mainly agree with Horse Shoe Heaven about the timeline, could go bit faster though.

9 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Hum not sure when Andrew had surgery, but I do know something about shoulder surgeries having had unfortunately 3 of them, 2 on my throwing shoulder. Here is what I do know. After surgery almost all strength gone. Rehab starts surprisingly right away usually after a week or 2. Early rehab is about gaining and keeping range of motion and flexibility. In the weeks to follow you start to add VERY LIGHT weight and band training and stretching gradually increasing weight as time goes on! If everything progress's fine a throwing PROGRAM starts in about in 3 to 4 months. You continue to do the other training and and start to throw. It is painful because you break up scare tissue and build arm strength. This starts at ridiculously short distances! This takes say an additional 3 to 4 months. At about 8 to 9 months if all goes well you feel OK throwing as it continues to get stronger. I would say it really doesn't really feel say NORMAL for about a year. So if he had surgery in January 4  months would put him at May to start a throwing program. I recently had surgery in  Nov. I am still building arm strength, I play softball on a travel team. 5 months since my surgery. I would say August/ Sept, is when Andrew will be able to throw. He will continue to have aches an pains, even without being hit. The OL will really need to protect him. The good thing is Andrew is a professional athlete, with a rehab staff dedicated to him, and his recovery! He is in very good shape and young all good things which could lead to a faster recovery time.

Not disputing your shoulder surgery at all, but was it a surgery for rotator cuff or labrum?  From all indications, it appears Andrew did not have that type of surgery.  He likely had a 'trim', and / or a decompression, or other less intensive procedures to relieve the pain he would have in that shoulder when the non-invasive techniques were ineffective last season. He played with it all year, and at times was not able to prepare and function as well as he would like.  At other times, it was better (though not healed) and he could play through it much easier.  The surgery he had in mid January should have a rehab schedule that has him ready to throw as of a couple weeks ago and up until now..  If this holds true and he begins(or already has) the process of throwing and redeveloping arm strength / accuracy without pain, he might well be ready sometime in July.  When hes is ready, hell feels the best since his rookie year, I'll wager.

n

10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Not disputing your shoulder surgery at all, but was it a surgery for rotator cuff or labrum?  From all indications, it appears Andrew did not have that type of surgery.  He likely had a 'trim', and / or a decompression, or other less intensive procedures to relieve the pain he would have in that shoulder when the non-invasive techniques were ineffective last season. He played with it all year, and at times was not able to prepare and function as well as he would like.  At other times, it was better (though not healed) and he could play through it much easier.  The surgery he had in mid January should have a rehab schedule that has him ready to throw as of a couple weeks ago and up until now..  If this holds true and he begins(or already has) the process of throwing and redeveloping arm strength / accuracy without pain, he might well be ready sometime in July.  When hes is ready, hell feels the best since his rookie year, I'll wager.

n

Yes I have had the labrum and rotator cuff surgeries! I have not heard of WHAT Andrews precudure was other than his shoulder. Not sure what a trim is cleaning up fraying? If so fraying is a tear so to  speak and I have had that done as well. All shoulder injuries usaually start with non-  invasive procedures i.e. Rebab, stretching, cortazone shot, possibly a plasma shot. No one wants a surgery never know what could happen I was told 20 to 30% chance may not be able to throw before surgery.

2 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Yes I have had the labrum and rotator cuff surgeries! I have not heard of WHAT Andrews precudure was other than his shoulder. Not sure what a trim is cleaning up fraying? If so fraying is a tear so to  speak and I have had that done as well. All shoulder injuries usaually start with non-  invasive procedures i.e. Rebab, stretching, cortazone shot, possibly a plasma shot. No one wants a surgery never know what could happen I was told 20 to 30% chance may not be able to throw before surgery.

Nobody outside of his doctors and the Colts knows what Andrew had performed on him, but he played through it with medically managed non-invasive techniques last year.  They just were not effective enough, as I had surmised once his surgery in January came to light near the end of March.  A timeline of 3 months rehab then 3 more months to be ready indicates a 'clean up' type procedure to me {but I'm not an MD, so...}, if the information reported is true.  (Debridement, and / or Acromioplasty, Sub-acromial decompression etc..)

His playing last year does indicate this might well be the case.  Thus I am optimistic and believe most of the rehab (neck range of motion, shoulder range of motion, wrist, elbow, gripping etc. exercises have been performed well and he is now adding in sport specific exercises as well as strength, endurance, and overall fitness routines (if not done already) to the mix.

Shoulder diagnosis and treatment site from an orthopod-

http://www.drkimball.com/Shoulder.html