Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Would Like To Resign Wayne, Garcon, And Mathis

PatMcAfeeFan

Awesome, the one I'm most worried about out of those 3 is Reggie. His statments seem to reflect that he wouldnt mind being a Colt, but also playing for another team, IMO. I'm probably wrong but who knows.

Every player wants to play for one team his whole career. Reggie wants to stay here and a lot of the fans would want him to be back. Every interview I see he says one thing he would love to stay in Indy, but he understands that this is a business and he wouldn't be surprised to be playing somewhere else.

Well that's good to hear... Just dont know if its possible given the cap space available... Should be interesting to see how creative some of these contracts get!

"Creative" wasn't quite the word I had in mind...I was thinking more in the line of ....contortionist-ic.

Also, does anyone else have an issue with the word "resign"? Every time I see that word, I take it to mean give up or surrender, rather than to re-enroll, or re-sign someone to a contract.

Maybe it's just me.

"Creative" wasn't quite the word I had in mind...I was thinking more in the line of ....contortionist-ic.

Also, does anyone else have an issue with the word "resign"? Every time I see that word, I take it to mean give up or surrender, rather than to re-enroll, or re-sign someone to a contract.

Maybe it's just me.

No, I paniced when I saw the partial thread title "Grigson would like to resign..." Unfortunatly my browser cut off the end part which is fairly important.

OH CRAP!!!.

Maybe it's just me.

Not just you. "Resign" in a headline always gives me palpitations. It should be re-sign if they're staying and resign if they're leaving.

I just noticed. I can't type very well from my IPad.

Heh, you're fine, like i said my browser cut off the last part.

Figured he got to talking ball with Irsay and decided to fire himself or something.

Which of course is a clear sign that Peyton Manning (will/will not) be back in a Colts uniform next season.

This is the part where firejimcaldwell comes in and says "HOW CAN YOU SPECULATE HE DIDNT SAY 1000000% FOR SURE THAT WE ARE TRYING TO RESIGN THESE GUYS THIS THREAD IS A BUST!!!111"

And Firejim would be correct. The article said:

"

Grigson acknowledged that the Colts would like to re-sign three key veterans -- receivers Pierre Garcon and Reggie Wayne and defensive end Robert Mathis."

The article did not say that the Colts are TRYING to re-sign these players.

I interpret the Colts "would like to re-sign" these players as the Colts would like to have these players return, subject to new contracts that are amenable to both the team and the player, if possible.

I interpret the Colts "trying to re-sign" these players as the Colts are in active negotiations with these players, and the players have the leverage over the team, such that it is such a trial for the team to come to terms with them.

There is nuance in how you say something.

Lol, "resign" scared the "you know what outta" me as well. Re-signing Mathis and re-working Freeney's deal would be awesome! I would love to see how they use them in the new Defensive Scheme(s) next season and beyond!

:) I agree. And it should be just "sign" in order to re-sign something you would have to sign it once and then re-sign it because of an error or some other reason. Since these will all be new contracts they are just signing them to new contracts.

"

Grigson acknowledged that the Colts would like to re-sign three key veterans -- receivers Pierre Garcon and Reggie Wayne and defensive end Robert Mathis."

I interpret the Colts "would like to re-sign" these players as the Colts would like to have these players return, subject to new contracts that are amenable to both the team and the player, if possible.

I interpret the Colts "trying to re-sign" these players as the Colts are in active negotiations with these players, and the players have the leverage over the team, such that it is such a trial for the team to come to terms with them.

I gotta say: I'm happy that Grigson would like to re-sign these players.

If they actually get it done is another thing, but the expressed desire to do so is good in my eyes.

:) I agree. And it should be just "sign" in order to re-sign something you would have to sign it once and then re-sign it because of an error or some other reason. Since these will all be new contracts they are just signing them to new contracts.

I like that! Do you have a newsletter and may I subscribe to it? ;)

"

Dude way to much thought! Bottom line is the Colts want to keep our 3 most important free agents from our team. GREAT NEWS! period!

Dude way to much thought! Bottom line is the Colts want to keep our 3 most important free agents from our team. GREAT NEWS! period!

Forgive me for giving [too much] thought to what I read. :yay:

It's better than the alternative.....of just interpreting what I want it to say, rather than what it says.

I think we have enough examples of that in other threads.

Forgive me for giving [too much] thought to what I read. :yay:

It's better than the alternative.....of just interpreting what I want it to say, rather than what it says.

I think we have enough examples of that in other threads.

You're forgiven.

Everyone makes mistakes. :)

Grigson is just showing some respect and his intentions before negotiations. He's just trying to make these guys feel like this is still their team and he's not trying to run them out. It was a good move considering the uneasiness those players feel.

Grigson is just showing some respect and his intentions before negotiations. He's just trying to make these guys feel like this is still their team and he's not trying to run them out. It was a good move considering the uneasiness those players feel.

I agree. It is an opening to start the negotiations, if the desire is mutual.

I agree. It is an opening to start the negotiations, if the desire is mutual.

I think so. Some of Mathis's tweets sounded like he was uneasy with the changes and seemed worried about his future with the team. He wouldn't be worried if he just wanted to move on.

Wayne on the other hand is a poker player. He like to talk like a mercenary, he has no problem playing elsewhere if they don't pay. I don't buy it. He could really play hard ball and sit like CJ did to the Titans but he doesn't. IMO he only wants to play here but he wants every cent he can possibly get too.

Garcon seems like a safe bet for resigning.

Awesome, the one I'm most worried about out of those 3 is Reggie. His statments seem to reflect that he wouldnt mind being a Colt, but also playing for another team, IMO. I'm probably wrong but who knows.

I think reggie feels he shoudl have gotena deral a year ago...

This is good to hear...from Grigson..becaes he's the one who has to creat a situation where it can happen

If Manning is returning..we need Wayne and Garcon...

..and the new DC want Mathis and Freeney...

But note the names NOT mentioned here..

Every player wants to play for one team his whole career. Reggie wants to stay here and a lot of the fans would want him to be back. Every interview I see he says one thing he would love to stay in Indy, but he understands that this is a business and he wouldn't be surprised to be playing somewhere else.

Indeed I do agree, and a business decision it is.

I think reggie feels he shoudl have gotena deral a year ago...

This is good to hear...from Grigson..becaes he's the one who has to creat a situation where it can happen

If Manning is returning..we need Wayne and Garcon...

..and the new DC want Mathis and Freeney...

But note the names NOT mentioned here..

Indeed as well.

Say and do are different..but publicly vocalizing a desire to resign them cant be construed in any negative fashion IMO...unless u think they are voicing the fake desire knowing they aren't in the plans and can use this as a scapegoat for when/if it doesn't happen...but who would read into that to speculate such a thing? ;)