Releases:

Arthur Jones

D'Qwell Jackson

Free Agent Signings:

Kevin Zeitler, G (Bengals) 5 yr 55 mil

Zach Brown, ILB (Bills) 4 yr 24 mil

Captain Mannerlyn, CB (Vikings) 3 yr 13 mil

Draft:

R1 - Takkarist McKinley, Edge, UCLA - Chris Ballard has indicated that he likes height-weight-speed prospects. McKinley at a reported 6-2/265 sure has the speed component in addition to solid size for a 3-4 olb. He was highly productive this past season, and while I think 15 is probably a bit high for him based on the tape, I can envision him having a nice combine and going this high. 

R2 - Alvin Kamara, RB, Tennessee - An extremely elusive running back, with terrific change of direction ability, balance, and receiving skills. He isn't a bulldozer, but he can break tackles and pick up tough yards.

R3 - Alex Anzalone, LB, Florida - This pick comes with a bit of an asterisk, because his medicals are important first. But I think there's some optimism given that his issues have been more upper body and not necessarily repetitive. He's another height-weight-speed guy at 6-3/240 with good speed. He has traits to be effective in coverage and as a blitzer, and good range. He's a guy with a pretty high ceiling, probably enough talent to go in the second round if he'd stayed healthy and put together the tape, but injury issues could even push him to day 3. 

R4 - Joe Mathis, Edge, Washington - This guy I think has had some distant character issues from the past but is reportedly past it. He was having a nice breakout season before he had a foot injury. He has some legit pass rushing ability and I like his lateral agility playing in space. 

R4 - Marquez White, CB, Florida St. - A decent cornerback prospect who could get lost in the shuffle because of a strong class. He's got pretty good length and speed. His coverage stats in 2015 were down right dominant. 2016 wasn't quite as much so. Not a good tackler and average ball skills but has some finesse and upside to his game.

R5 - Ejuan Price, Edge, Pittsburgh - A prolific college edge rusher who will only really fit in a 3-4 scheme at the NFL level. He's got definite size limitations and he's a bit older than most prospects, so he's projected to drop to day 3 even though he's coming off a big season.

R6 - Josh Augusta, NT, Missouri - A big true nose tackle - if anything this guy could lose weight rather than bulk up, even at NT. He's got good agility for a man of his rare size.

Approximate Line-up (punter plus another 4 or so open roster slots for UDFA/Vets):

Offense

QB - Andrew Luck, S. Tolzein

RB - A. Kamara, F. Gore

WR - T. Hilton, D. Moncrief, P. Dorsett, C. Rogers

TE - D. Allen, J. Doyle, E. Swoope

OT - A. Castonzo, L. Clark, J. Haeg, J. Reitz

OG - J. Mewhort, K. Zeitler, D. Good

C - R. Kelly, A. Blythe

Defense

NT - Z. Kerr, J. Augusta

DT - T. McGill, D. Parry 

DE - H. Anderson, K. Langford, H. Ridgeway

SAM - E. Walden, A. Ayers, C. Maggitt

RUSH - T. McKinley, J. Mathis, E. Price

MIKE - Z. Brown, A. Morrison

WIL - E. Jackson, A. Anzalone

SS - C. Geathers, M. Farley

FS - D. Butler, T. Green

RCB - V. Davis, P. Robinson, R. Melvin

LCB - C. Munnerlyn, M. White

Special Teams:

K - A. Vinatieri

P - ?

LS - M. Overton

Analysis:

Our offense is primed for a huge year behind the talents of Andrew Luck and behind a stronger offensive line. If we have improved play calling, there shouldn't be a defense in the league we can't put up points against. And things should only get better in years following as a terrific nucleus are under contract.

Our defense gets faster at the linebacker positions - inside and outside. Fresh legs rushing the passer are paramount, and more quality bodies at the cornerback position. Realistically not going to be a top 5 defense or anything. But if our young defensive linemen make some progress and our rookie pass rushers can be quick to figure it out at the NFL level, we could be a Super Bowl threat. Much like the offense, we would be in a position for continued improvement the following year.  

9 minutes ago, Boomstick1 said:

Don't like the Munnerlyn signing, love Joe Mathis in the late rounds

I have to admit, I haven't followed how he's played since Minnesota. I just remember watching him as a Panther. Basically I just would like a decent CB who won't completely break the bank, which I recall his level being.

Great draft. All of those guys have potential and could contribute sooner than later. I especially like McKinley and Anzalone. 

I wouldn't even bother resigning Moncrief. He hasn't shown enough to warrant another contract. I don't like his attitude and think he can easily be replaced in this draft or the next. I'm probably in the minority on this but whatever. 

1 hour ago, SP_21 said:

Great draft. All of those guys have potential and could contribute sooner than later. I especially like McKinley and Anzalone. 

I wouldn't even bother resigning Moncrief. He hasn't shown enough to warrant another contract. I don't like his attitude and think he can easily be replaced in this draft or the next. I'm probably in the minority on this but whatever. 

Moncrief is literally the best (and only) real red zone threat on the team. The only time he had a full season of Luck throwing to him was his rookie year. And didn't he have that streak of like 5 straight TD receptions with Luck? Don't know how he hasn't shown enough.

Also this

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Moncrief is literally the best (and only) real red zone threat on the team. The only time he had a full season of Luck throwing to him was his rookie year. And didn't he have that streak of like 5 straight TD receptions with Luck? Don't know how he hasn't shown enough.

Also this

giphy.gif

I'd rather draft someone then pay Moncrief. We have a couple of pass catching TEs that could replace his red zone production. 

I hope with a new GM we don't hold on to underperform guys/ guys that can easily be replaced like Moncrief. 

6 hours ago, SP_21 said:

I'd rather draft someone then pay Moncrief. We have a couple of pass catching TEs that could replace his red zone production. 

I hope with a new GM we don't hold on to underperform guys/ guys that can easily be replaced like Moncrief. 

How can you not like Moncreif and think he is easily replaced? He came out young, and numbers kept him from getting much experience his first year.  2nd year he made a major jump and started developing that "my ball" mentality.  This past season he was hurt half the season but still gave us plays when he was in.  If they used him right he could be a monster especially with one more off season. He is definitely not easily replaceable IMO.  Ballard is supposed to be big on drafting, developing, and retaining in house talent... I don't see him getting rid of Moncreif. I don't think most share your low opinion of him. 

52 minutes ago, esmort said:

How can you not like Moncreif and think he is easily replaced? He came out young, and numbers kept him from getting much experience his first year.  2nd year he made a major jump and started developing that "my ball" mentality.  This past season he was hurt half the season but still gave us plays when he was in.  If they used him right he could be a monster especially with one more off season. He is definitely not easily replaceable IMO.  Ballard is supposed to be big on drafting, developing, and retaining in house talent... I don't see him getting rid of Moncreif. I don't think most share your low opinion of him. 

I understand that I'm in the minority here. He's been given plenty of chances and outside of the red zone hasn't done much. With all his talent I expect more. I'm not advocating cutting him or anything but I'd like to see him put a good season together in '17. Then we can talk about a new deal. Might cost us a little more or could save us from wasting money. Who knows...

Replacing him wouldn't be too difficult. There's quite a few late round WRs with great size in this draft. 

In regards to Moncrief, I think its a matter consistency with him. He disappears for games and every once awhile has a really nice game. I think the talent is there, but he`s not a good option as the Colts # 2 IMO. I`d be hesitant to sign him to anymore than 3m a year at this point. Anymore than that  and your paying for potential and generally it doesn't workout. 

15 minutes ago, MPStack said:

In regards to Moncrief, I think its a matter consistency with him. He disappears for games and every once awhile has a really nice game. I think the talent is there, but he`s not a good option as the Colts # 2 IMO. I`d be hesitant to sign him to anymore than 3m a year at this point. Anymore than that  and your paying for potential and generally it doesn't workout. 

Signing him to a high incentive deal with a lower base salary might be a good compromise. I imagine he'd be much more consistent with a contract like that haha 

1 hour ago, SP_21 said:

I understand that I'm in the minority here. He's been given plenty of chances and outside of the red zone hasn't done much. With all his talent I expect more. I'm not advocating cutting him or anything but I'd like to see him put a good season together in '17. Then we can talk about a new deal. Might cost us a little more or could save us from wasting money. Who knows...

Replacing him wouldn't be too difficult. There's quite a few late round WRs with great size in this draft. 

This is exactly my issue with Moncrief as well. He's a great red-zone threat, but he completely disappears between the 20's and that is typically where drives stall for the Colts. 

3 hours ago, SP_21 said:

Signing to an extension would allow you to give him a little less IMO because he has not accomplished a lot yet.

That being said I disagree that he is easy to replace.  I feel like to many people get stuck on the "late round skill players are easy to come by" thing.  Late rounds are not an easy place for anything but if you strike then that's great but you cannot just chalk up a guy as easy to replace because a potential 5th rounder is 6'3'' with some minor speed.  With that being said, I can agree that he disappears but I can say the same about every WR we have.  Hilton (i love this guy btw) can easily disappear and often does in big games.  We need our new coach to develop everyone into better route runners.  Wayne and Harrison were prolific because they ran perfect routes.  Wayne was not the fastest but when running the route better than the DB you get windows.  Chud just continues to tell these guys to run straight or deep crosses.  Alright sorry rant over.

• 3 weeks later...

Resignings are fine.

Agree with who you extend but you are massively low balling Mewhort on the contract years. Can't see him accepting that in a month of Sundays. Keep the average the same and bring the years up to 4 and it would be a lot better.

FA is great but Munnerlyn as far as I remember is a much better zone corner than man. With our cap space you might be able to take a run at AJ Bouye, or Prince Amukamara maybe? Zeitler is great and Brown is solid though. I can see Brown getting closer to 4 for 32 though.

Takk. Great.

Kamara. Solid, depending on his combine.

Anzalone is a huge risk. When he's healthy he's a great pick, but him being healthy is not nearly often enough for a 3rd round player. Personally I don't want to take a big risk like him in the first 3 rounds.

I like Mathis a lot. And replacing a Mathis with another Mathis makes far too much sense to me.

I'm hoping there will be better CBs available than Marquez. Around there I'd look at Damontae Kazee. Could be a good nickel guy.

Price is solid and well placed.

Augusta is a good pick if he is there.