Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning Interview

Hoosier

The most telling remark was his opening one. "I really feel good. I continue to make progress every day."

There was no hesitation in that. No "trying" or anything that can be misconstrued. The man said it and obviously believes it. There were no ticks or tells to suggest he was hiding anything.

Head-to-head doesn't matter. Federer is still a better player all-time than Nadal despite their head-to-head. H2H records are often circumstantial. Brady's head-to-head against Manning is pretty good, despite in being 2-5, or whatever, the last 7 times they played. The QB's don't play each other; they play against a defense.

I would support Luck if he were the Colts starting QB. I will support Manning wherever he goes, though I think it's here or retirement for him. If they were to somehow play against each other, I'd probably pull for Manning no matter what. I can't help but feel that this team did him a little wrong, and are vicariously trying to make it right with a rookie QB instead.

How? You mean now or in the past?

I am the opposite. I did think for a while Peyton might retire. In fact, I think Irsay was sorta hoping he might. Now, not so sure. Based on Manning, Cooper, Eli or whoever else I hear......I am sensing Peyton is dead set on playing again in this league.

Just not convinced it will be with the Colts.

I know Dungy also thinks it's the Colts or retirement. Then again he has been so dead wrong at times on this team.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not understanding. Are you saying his injury has made him delusional?

No, what I am saying is that I do not understand based on his statement, on what specifically he believes he is making progress.

It could be:

1) About feeling good? He must have been very sad to make progress on feeling good every day. Or similarly, feeling better with less pain every day?

2) About ability to throw the ball like he was pre-injury? I don't think he said that.

3) About something else?

I agree.

What scares me, is if the docs say that Peyton should not play, that Peyton would want to show everyone that they're wrong, and insist on playing, given his competitive nature, which may lead to not only injury but impairment.

From my understanding he isn't at a higher risk than say Brees, Brady, Eli, or insert Quarterback here. The issue is the arm strength and whether or not it can equal or get close to his previous level.

Considering it's been reported to be better than it was last fall, and that they were seriously considering using him as a Red Zone Quarterback, I feel he will be playing somewhere, if not here.

I agree.

What scares me, is if the docs say that Peyton should not play, that Peyton would want to show everyone that they're wrong, and insist on playing, given his competitive nature, which may lead to not only injury but impairment.

Peyton is at no injury risk to his neck, more than any other player. That has been said.

Of course. Irsay would rather Manning retire than to be the bad guy in this equation.

Well it's not gonna happen so he may as well get prepared to take the heat because if I was a betting woman I would bet on a lot of heat.

:flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming:

Maybe Irsay would have been better off about saying that money wasn't a problem. haha

Personally I have felt that ship has sailed as soon as we were falling in line for the #1 pick, or that close to the #1 pick. Obviously Polian isn't here any more, but I had the perception that him and Irsay would be willing to move future draft picks to move up to #1 if they didn't get it on their own.

Started to feel meant to be to me as well with a loss every week. And I also wonder how Peyton really truly feels about the Luck situation. I mean, before the Pats game when he was asked about the Polian comments with drafting Luck or a QB I did not feel Peyton was comfortable. The Archie Manning comments.........

I don't know. I guess I never truly felt like Luck/Manning would co-exist on the same squad. I also don't know if Luck should be on the bench for a few years if he is as good as advertised.

Dear God, this thing has turned into a soap opera.

From my understanding he isn't at a higher risk than say Brees, Brady, Eli, or insert Quarterback here. The issue is the arm strength and whether or not it can equal or get close to his previous level.

Considering it's been reported to be better than it was last fall, and that they were seriously considering using him as a Red Zone Quarterback, I feel he will be playing somewhere, if not here.

Peyton is at no injury risk to his neck, more than any other player. That has been said.

OK, I am no longer scared for him.

Well it's not gonna happen so he may as well get prepared to take the heat because if I was a betting woman I would bet on a lot of heat.

:flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming:

A Peyton release IMO will hurt when/if it happens. But, it should not be a total shock to those who have been paying attention all along. This has been a slow and inevitable release at times IMO if it does indeed happen post SB.

Then if/when it does happen, PR will start to sell Colts fans on the idea of someone other then #18 taking over the franchise at QB for the future but to also realize not to expect an overnight miracle.

Anyone remember hearing early in the season like before week 1 or 2 that Polian was seen at a Stanford game scouting? Things early on that make me go hmmmmmm........

The most telling remark was his opening one. "I really feel good. I continue to make progress every day."

There was no hesitation in that. No "trying" or anything that can be misconstrued. The man said it and obviously believes it. There were no ticks or tells to suggest he was hiding anything.

Head-to-head doesn't matter. Federer is still a better player all-time than Nadal despite their head-to-head. H2H records are often circumstantial. Brady's head-to-head against Manning is pretty good, despite in being 2-5, or whatever, the last 7 times they played. The QB's don't play each other; they play against a defense.

I would support Luck if he were the Colts starting QB. I will support Manning wherever he goes, though I think it's here or retirement for him. If they were to somehow play against each other, I'd probably pull for Manning no matter what. I can't help but feel that this team did him a little wrong, and are vicariously trying to make it right with a rookie QB instead.

i agree. I will definitely support luck if irsay lets manning go but i will always feel like he gave indy his all and wasnt treated fairly. Atleast today he sounded at piece with everything.

If the Colts think he can play in 2012 it doesn't make any sense to let him walk. If you think money is the issue you are not doing the math on all the other free agents and couldn't even if you wanted to because you just don't know how any of those , or any other soon to expire contracts are going to be dealt with. If you think it's because they will draft Luck and not be able to afford both, the same applies and rookies aren't getting what they used to. If you think the 2 couldn't coexist, you obviously have a low opinion of one, if not both of their abilities to be a team first player. And why would you let a veteran that is projected to recover walk away if you have no other proven option, especially considering that veterans contributions to your success.

If the Colts don't think he can play in 2012 why would any other team pick up what will still be a very large contract on an uncertain player health wise that has to learn a whole new system after 15 years of only one system? The teams that need a QB are high enough in the draft to get a good QB and not close enough to contending that Peyton would put them over the top. If your a team that is a contender minus a QB, you can go after healthy and/or less expensive free agent QB's like Drew Brees or Alex Smith. Heck Matt Flynn or Kyle Orton may be all you need if you're that close.

Started to feel meant to be to me as well with a loss every week. And I also wonder how Peyton really truly feels about the Luck situation. I mean, before the Pats game when he was asked about the Polian comments with drafting Luck or a QB I did not feel Peyton was comfortable. The Archie Manning comments.........

I don't know. I guess I never truly felt like Luck/Manning would co-exist on the same squad. I also don't know if Luck should be on the bench for a few years if he is as good as advertised.

Dear God, this thing has turned into a soap opera.

If I'm Luck, I want to play from day 1. I want to be given the ball.

If I'm Manning, I want the draft pick traded to get extra picks to help the team over the next few years, as opposed to drafting a guy that might not even play.

Those are two selfish views, but that is how I would be if I put myself in either of their shoes...

I agree.

That's not even a concern. He is at no more risk of that than any other player and probably less than those that endure more contact.

As far as salary for Luck at #1 and Griffin at #2 or vice versa.....they would be about the same. Even moving them down to the impossible - bottom of the top 10 picks - their pay would not have an appreciable difference. We saw that last April under the new CBA. So, it's not gonna be about the money when it comes to a new pick.

Well you dont know that, what i think would happen if the colts kept peyton is they would trade their 1st round pick and with maybe the vikings or browns and pick griffin at number 4... guessing that none of the other QB needy teams dont try to move up in the draft... and as for the money it would be different substantially different because griffin would not be getting the same amount of signing bonus that Luck would..

I personally would not take Griffin as a Number one pick i would take Luck because he looks like the safer pick... I still like griffin over luck but the if your gonna take a QB at number 1 its better to be safe than sorry... Griffin is still the more athletic, more exciting QB to watch though..

Point is if peyton stays i think the colts trade their pick and draft griffin.

Well you dont know that, what i think would happen if the colts kept peyton is they would trade their 1st round pick and with maybe the vikings or browns and pick griffin at number 4... guessing that none of the other QB needy teams dont try to move up in the draft... and as for the money it would be different substantially different because griffin would not be getting the same amount of signing bonus that Luck would..

I personally would not take Griffin as a Number one pick i would take Luck because he looks like the safer pick... I still like griffin over luck but the if your gonna take a QB at number 1 its better to be safe than sorry... Griffin is still the more athletic, more exciting QB to watch though..

I do not think Griffin will last until pick 4. Rams or Vikes will trade that pick imo.

I could've swore I hear Trey Wingo say he woke up this morning and watched a local TV interview with Andrew Luck??? Did anyone see that or am I hearing things???

I think someone at channel 13 did a Luck interview to be aired later. Saw it on tonight's news just don't remember for sure which channel and when they said they were airing it.

Wow, can't believe fans are allowing this situation to divide the fan base, and are arguing to the point where personal shots are being made.

I love me some Peyton Manning(he's my favorite Football player, EVER!!!), and I'd be glad to have him back next year, actually I want him back next year. I can imagine him after throwing a 40yd TD to Garcon going to the sidelines and chatting with Luck, telling him how to get it done lol. But if the business and health side of things can't work out, then so be it, we move on. But if they do, 18 will be a Colt. Irsay is just preparing for the worst, and isn't guaranteeing anything, same with Peyton, and even some of us fans.

The media has their dirty mits alllll over this, and their job is to continuously cast doubt or even hope in you heads. So you keep coming back for more and more information which for the most part isn't really true info, but speculation. It makes them money, and they don't care about being right or wrong, credibility in the sports world is DEAD. When it comes down to it, there are a few core factors that will determine the outcome of this situation. Manning's health first and foremost, Irsay, and money. Loyalty plays NO role here, the only thing that is loyal in sports for the most part are fans, and players as long as they're under contract.

So that's enough guys, enough with the personal shots and judgment calls. It's uncalled for.

Do I think he's coming back as a Colt? No, to be honest I don't. Do I want him back? OOFFFFF COURSE!!!! But my assumption isn't based on the media or doubt, but just how professional sports work. We'll see, but if this Manning interview is anything to go by, Manning will be ready to play in 2012, for who? I don't know. And part of me thinks he's been laughing at some of the stuff the media has been saying these past weeks. And I can't stand when people think this is actually some severe, life threatening neck injury, and that his neck is weaker than a toothpick. The problem was the nerves in his triceps!!! If he were to play, he'd be at risk of becoming a paraplegic, just like every other player!

With that said, this is getting ridiculous peeps, I've never seen the boards in worse shape.

A Peyton release IMO will hurt when/if it happens. But, it should not be a total shock to those who have been paying attention all along. This has been a slow and inevitable release at times IMO if it does indeed happen post SB.

Then if/when it does happen, PR will start to sell Colts fans on the idea of someone other then #18 taking over the franchise at QB for the future but to also realize not to expect an overnight miracle.

Anyone remember hearing early in the season like before week 1 or 2 that Polian was seen at a Stanford game scouting? Things early on that make me go hmmmmmm........

Yea I also remember that Polian also said he was going to see his son which was on staff at stanford so that could have been taken any way op wanted to take it. I'm sure he heard many reports about Luck from his son.

How many times can the man say it......Irsay said if Peyton is healthy and plays it will be with the Colts.....he doesn't mind paying the money or he wouldn't have allowed it in the contract. Irsay wanted to pay Peyton more than his contract is for crying out loud. Manning is the one who said the pay is enough and put a clause in that if he wasn't healthy then he or the Colts could make the call for him not to play. Peyton wants to play....so if he is healthy which it looks like he will be....then he and Luck both will be Colts. With the new NFL contract, teams do not have to pay rookies like they did before.......so it should not be a problem. Besides, Peyton will probably re-do his contract if he is healthy to help the team out even more. Irsay and Manning love the Colts.....heck....they are the Colts.

How many times can the man say it......Irsay said if Peyton is healthy and plays it will be with the Colts.....he doesn't mind paying the money or he wouldn't have allowed it in the contract. Irsay wanted to pay Peyton more than his contract is for crying out loud. Manning is the one who said the pay is enough and put a clause in that if he wasn't healthy then he or the Colts could make the call for him not to play. Peyton wants to play....so if he is healthy which it looks like he will be....then he and Luck both will be Colts. With the new NFL contract, teams do not have to pay rookies like they did before.......so it should not be a problem. Besides, Peyton will probably re-do his contract if he is healthy to help the team out even more. Irsay and Manning love the Colts.....heck....they are the Colts.

I don't think anyone questions whether Irsay said that.

What is questionable however, is how does Irsay defines what healthy means? Does healthy mean 100% as compared to pre-injury Peyton, or something less?

I have no idea.

I have to say I certainly was taken a step back on my opinion of Manning returning. The signs of Manning leaving seemed so prevelent in the past few weeks that I'd already emotionally prepared myself for the news, but after hearing Peyton's optimism, I'm not exactly sure what to think. He expects to be "cleared and ready to go"? (or something to that extent) What does that mean, why couldn't they ask him to elaborate? Does he mean ready to play by March 8th, next year, or something entirely different?

Though my opinion is shaken, the fact does remain that this isn't Peyton's decision to make, and some signs of Peyton being cut still exist. I still see him being cut, but I'm done trying to decide one way or another. It sounds like we may be just a week away from some answers, so I'm excited. Our franchise will move on one way or another.

He also said in the same interview when asked about Bill Polian's future with the team that he liked continuity and look what happend about two weeks later...

Look if Peyton's 100% healthy by March 8th I agree with you this is a no brainer for Irsay. He'll look at Peyton and go 28 million for Peyton Manning? That's a steal!

The problem becomes if Peyton is NOT 100% healthy. If we keep Peyton past March 8th we are then locked into his contract for the remaining four years. Meaning that if we had to release him for whatever reason we would take a huge cap hit that would criple the team going forward. So even if you have a doctor whispering in your ear saying well we think he should be healthy that's a huge risk to take because if you get it wrong it will kill your franchise. Also keep in mind doctors were wrong about Peyton Manning's health before they could very well get it wrong agian. Or it could be Peyton comes back from this and is cleared to play and isn't the same guy he was before hand and isn't worth the huge contract he is due.

This isn't a black or white issue it looks like. There is going to be some gray in there. The question sounds like is Jim Irsay going to be willing to risk the future of his franchise on a "Peyton should be healthy" from the doctors? If he is he'll pay him the money. If he isn't he'll release him and it'll be a very dark day in Indianapolis. However, life will go on. It doesn't mean we wont miss Peyton and we wouldn't be upset about him not being here. Of course people are going to be like that. With that said, if this is done it's a business move and the cold part of business is that it doesn't stop to let you be upset about something for very long. It will be time to embrace the future after that which probably means Andrew Luck at QB. If we can't have Peyton Manning (which I hope we can have him) Andrew Luck isn't a bad second option and that's important to remember Luck is the second option. This isn't the Colts pick Luck (or RG3) over Manning it's the Colts picking Luck because Manning wasn't healthy enough to play when they had to make that call.

I do not think Griffin will last until pick 4. Rams or Vikes will trade that pick imo.

They may or may not.. i mean ponder isnt all that of a great QB for the vikings.. if the colts really wanted to trade they could maybe take ponder off their hands and give them the 1st round pick. while the colts get 3rd overall and still get another 1st round pick for 2013 draft.

Still though just because of that interview im looking forward more to the week after the superbowl than the superbowl

It's quite possible Luck and Griffin will go #1 and #2 but of course that's just speculation. Also speculation, but I believe the Colts take Luck #1 regardless of any other circumstances (Manning) whatsoever. What's clear is the Colts are taking a QB and I believe that choice has always been Andrew Luck. If we were set at QB then trading the #1 away for multiple picks would be my choice.....but that ain't gonna happen.

Here are the facts/salary figures for the 2011 #1 and #2 overall picks and the other 1st round QBs for comparison, which show no huge dollar difference between the higher picks, most particularly when compared to pre-2011 draft dollars and for QBs. The owners got this right. This is a big part of what the new CBA is all about. Take for example the difference between Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert in 2011. While Gabbert might not be a "bust", a portion of the JAX base is wondering if he's their answer. Newton had an incredible year we're all familiar with. Neither team is broke over their picks.....and both of players will have to work for their mega contracts over the next four years if they're to earn one (meanwhile they're still millionaires for taking on-field risks). This is way more in line with the way things are supposed to be.

Cam Newton #1 overall -

4 for 22M, all of it guaranteed with 15M signing bonus, cap hits approx. 4M, 5M, 6M, 7M sequentially for the four years.

Von Miller #2 overall -

4 for 21M, all of it guaranteed with 13.7M signing bonus, cap hits avg. a little over 5M for the four years - about the same as Newton's.

Other 2011 1st round QBs:

Jack Locker #8 overall -

4 for 12.5M, all of it guaranteed with 7.6M signing bonus and avg. cap hit of 3.1M for the four years.

Blaine Gabbert #10 overall -

4 for 12M, all if it guaranteed with 7M signing bonus and avg. cap of 3M for the four years.

Christian Ponder #12 overall

4 for 10.5, all of it guaranteed with 5.8M signing bonus, cap hits 1.8M, 2.3M, 1.4M, 1.4M for the four years, sequentially.

Expect the 2012 draft figures to be very similar, but with a slight increase.

It's quite possible Luck and Griffin will go #1 and #2 but of course that's just speculation. Also speculation, but I believe the Colts take Luck #1 regardless of any other circumstances (Manning) whatsoever. What's clear is the Colts are taking a QB and I believe that choice has always been Andrew Luck. If we were set at QB then trading the #1 away for multiple picks would be my choice.....but that ain't gonna happen.

Here are the facts/salary figures for the 2011 #1 and #2 overall picks and the other 1st round QBs for comparison, which show no huge dollar difference between the higher picks, most particularly when compared to pre-2011 draft dollars and for QBs. The owners got this right. This is a big part of what the new CBA is all about. Take for example the difference between Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert in 2011. While Gabbert might not be a "bust", a portion of the JAX base is wondering if he's their answer. Newton had an incredible year we're all familiar with. Neither team is broke over their picks.....and both of players will have to work for their mega contracts over the next four years if they're to earn one (meanwhile they're still millionaires for taking on-field risks). This is way more in line with the way things are supposed to be.

Cam Newton #1 overall -

4 for 22M, all of it guaranteed with 15M signing bonus, cap hits approx. 4M, 5M, 6M, 7M sequentially for the four years.

Von Miller #2 overall -

4 for 21M, all of it guaranteed with 13.7M signing bonus, cap hits avg. a little over 5M for the four years - about the same as Newton's.

Other 2011 1st round QBs:

Jack Locker #8 overall -

4 for 12.5M, all of it guaranteed with 7.6M signing bonus and avg. cap hit of 3.1M for the four years.

Blaine Gabbert #10 overall -

4 for 12M, all if it guaranteed with 7M signing bonus and avg. cap of 3M for the four years.

Christian Ponder #12 overall

4 for 10.5, all of it guaranteed with 5.8M signing bonus, cap hits 1.8M, 2.3M, 1.4M, 1.4M for the four years, sequentially.

Expect the 2012 draft figures to be very similar, but with a slight increase.

Really I don't think any team is gonna trade up for griffin I mean look at what happened to matt lineart he fell in the draft... of course these aren't the same QBs but the signing bonus is what I'm talking about and anywhere under 3rd overall Griffin would get something like 11 million guaranteed.

You can't compare the panthers or jags to the colts because they aren't top heavy on offense like the colts... which is what irsay said he WILL change...

So for him to carry two QBs that will carry 40+% of the salary cap into this years FA is an almost guarantee that it will not happen.

If anything I think even if peyton is healthy he will be released just because of the changes they want to make

If I'm Luck, I want to play from day 1. I want to be given the ball.

If I'm Manning, I want the draft pick traded to get extra picks to help the team over the next few years, as opposed to drafting a guy that might not even play.

Those are two selfish views, but that is how I would be if I put myself in either of their shoes...

Those are very human, and therefore very realistic feelings. I wouldn't be surprised if both men feel that way. This isn't Maddened, after all, where drafted players don't have emotion, and will sit because you tell them to.

Lets just break this down and call it what it is. Luck= untested college QB with zero NFL experience to back up thes superman claims. He may be a great someday. Colt McCoy or Matt Stafford may as well. we DONT know. colts need to get their legal team together and find a way keep PM and take the first pick. I would take a chance on luck in a heartbeat but to take a chance on losing the the heartbeat of the team and town i think would be ridiculous.

After the Superbowl every fan will get their answer... one thing I know for sure is that if peyton stays a colt all you luck fans can say bye bye cause they will draft griffin, cause luck will not wanna sit down for over a year neither will irsay pay so much for two QBs on his roster.

I wouldnt mind Griffin either. He has already said he would love to sit under Manning and learn

Really I don't think any team is gonna trade up for griffin I mean look at what happened to matt lineart he fell in the draft... of course these aren't the same QBs but the signing bonus is what I'm talking about and anywhere under 3rd overall Griffin would get something like 11 million guaranteed.

You can't compare the panthers or jags to the colts because they aren't top heavy on offense like the colts... which is what irsay said he WILL change...

So for him to carry two QBs that will carry 40+% of the salary cap into this years FA is an almost guarantee that it will not happen.

If anything I think even if peyton is healthy he will be released just because of the changes they want to make

Earth to Smitto - - sounds like you and I are talking about different things now, somehow. Look at the salary figures I posted. Any bonus is spread out evenly over the four years. That's what counts - the cap number. ALL of these top picks are affordable for four years now. That's the point. Doesn't matter if they're #1 or #12 they're affordable compared to pre-2011 draft dollars by a shot. A franchise QB for an avg. 3M or 5M salary?! Far cry from years past. And honestly, I don't care if anyone trades up for Griffin or not, etc., because he's not going to part of Indy's plans.

Also, I never compared the Colts to JAX or CAR. All I did was compare salaries and value at the QB position under the new CBA for last year's draft class. Just happens that JAX and CAR are two of three teams that took QBs in the 1st round in 2011.

As far as Manning goes, I've already aired my thoughts on him. He's gone from Indy. Period. I believe that. Nobody has to like it but that's reality. I understand the numbers game. That's what this is all about. I've also been on record here many a time about this team's imbalance over the past decade......so do a search on me if you want but I'm not gonna be pigeon-holed any kind of way. I support all of the moves made by Irsay.

Earth to Smitto - - sounds like you and I are talking about different things now, somehow. Look at the salary figures I posted. Any bonus is spread out evenly over the four years. That's what counts - the cap number. ALL of these top picks are affordable for four years now. That's the point. Doesn't matter if they're #1 or #12 they're affordable compared to pre-2011 draft dollars by a shot. A franchise QB for an avg. 3M or 5M salary?! Far cry from years past. And honestly, I don't care if anyone trades up for Griffin or not, etc., because he's not going to part of Indy's plans.

Also, I never compared the Colts to JAX or CAR. All I did was compare salaries and value at the QB position under the new CBA for last year's draft class. Just happens that JAX and CAR are two of three teams that took QBs in the 1st round in 2011.

As far as Manning goes, I've already aired my thoughts on him. He's gone from Indy. Period. I believe that. Nobody has to like it but that's reality. I understand the numbers game. That's what this is all about. I've also been on record here many a time about this team's imbalance over the past decade......so do a search on me if you want but I'm not gonna be pigeon-holed any kind of way. I support all of the moves made by Irsay.

Irsay understands the numbers game the best, and he has said he will pay for Manning to be back if, which is now WHEN, he is healthy to be our starting QB