Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning Interview

Hoosier

I'm sorry, I don't see where he said he is getting better.

I only see where he said he is trying to get better, and where he says he really feels good, and continues to make progress every day.

Sorry I disagree with you he sys " SO FAR I AM" that to me means better. I think you want him to say he is 100% which isn't logical at this point. I believe he had surgrey in August. He has 5/6 months of healing so far. Doctors say 3/4 to 1 full year to know how the nerves are completly healed. The earliest is May or June.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because he said he was "making progress" next to the sentence where he said he is "feeling good."

He did not make the "making progress" comment next to the 'trying to get better' comment.

He never said he was getting better...he only said he was trying to get better.

In context, see for yourself:

"I really feel good. I continue to make progress every day," he said. "Everything that the doctors have told me has been on point, which is encouraging to me. I just had a great day today with rehab, just got back from the facility, and that's what we continue to do. Just keep trying to get better. So far I have. That's the plan from here on out."

In any case, this is moot. How much he has achieved towards getting better doesn't mean much until he is good enough to play. And that determination will be made by the Colts docs and coaching staff.

Just keep trying to get better. So far I have.

So far he has been getting better.

It's all a crap shoot when it comes to QB's but what stands out to me with Luck is everybody's comments on his work ethic. If he has even half the work ethic that Peyton does(and I think he does) he's going to be a great one.

yes, i've said many times that i want us to get Luck and that i honestly think he has what it takes to be very very good. with that said, i still hope we dont pick up Peyton's option, but then resign him to a completely different contract that will allow him to be OUR starter for a few more years and be more salary cap friendly...and worded so that it wont hurt us IF HE DOES retire sooner than expected

and you have to word how the contract is structured, which is what i said, mr nit picker! lol

I'm not trying to nit pick it.

If he's paid only base salaries, then there would be no ill cap effects moving forward.

If he's paid a portion of it in some form of salary cap, then there would be salary cap ramifications to deal with if he's no longer on the roster prior to the contract coming to term.

I'm just saying that there can't be an addendum added saying the Colts forfeit all responsibility of cap acceleration.

I might be alone but this interview made me feel worse about Peyton. He IMO looked old and I felt he just said all the right things people want to hear. It was nothing at times.

If you pick anything up it's that Manning wants to play and fully intends to come back.

I still feel in my gut right now that Manning will be released sometime after the SB. When I don't know. But, I feel the writing has been on the wall and this team is rebuilding around Andrew Luck for a new era.

I'm not trying to nit pick it.

If he's paid only base salaries, then there would be no ill cap effects moving forward.

If he's paid a portion of it in some form of salary cap, then there would be salary cap ramifications to deal with if he's no longer on the roster prior to the contract coming to term.

I'm just saying that there can't be an addendum added saying the Colts forfeit all responsibility of cap acceleration.

and i mentioned no such addendum...i simply said that they could word (or structure) the contract in such a way that it didnt affect us if he retired early...if they do it the way you said or some other way thats all well and good, and i never indicated otherwise...so yes, you were nit picking.

Irsay has said we r taking a pick at #1 so luck/rg3 will be on this team. I can't wait to end all this controversy.

your controversy isnt if we draft luck or not, its if we keep peyton. You have been on this forum for months preaching to everyone that peyton is good as gone and we need to except it. We all know we are gonna draft luck. But ur gonna have to eat alot of crow if we keep manning! You will have to disappear from this forum because you will have lost all credibility! Luck may turn out good but ur dreamin if you think he will ever be manning bro. Dont know why you want him gone so bad.

your controversy isnt if we draft luck or not, its if we keep peyton. You have been on ghis forum for months preaching to everyoene that peyton is good as gone and we need to except it. We all know we are gonna draft luck. But ur gonna have to eat alot of crow if we keep manning! You will have to disappear from this forum because you will have lost all credibility! Luck may turn out good but ur dreamin if you think he will ever be manning bro. Dont know why you want him gone so bad.

I honestly think it's unfair to compare Luck to anyone right now who is established. IMO he has all the tools/brains/leadership etc. of being a top QB someday but has not even joined the league yet. It is unfair.

I know Packers fans who didn't want Rodgers either once and no way would he replace Favre.

Winning cures everything. If the Luck led Colts someday win big games then people will be kissing his butt. If he is a bust, then we are in trouble.

I might be alone but this interview made me feel worse about Peyton. He IMO looked old and I felt he just said all the right things people want to hear. It was nothing at times.

If you pick anything up it's that Manning wants to play and fully intends to come back.

I still feel in my gut right now that Manning will be released sometime after the SB. When I don't know. But, I feel the writing has been on the wall and this team is rebuilding around Andrew Luck for a new era.

Well if Manning looks old I don't want you to see a picture of me. haha I personally thought he looked pretty good but that is my opinion and it usually isn't worth much. haha

Well if Manning looks old I don't want you to see a picture of me. haha I personally thought he looked pretty good but that is my opinion and it usually isn't worth much. haha

I am a picky female. I can't help it. *sigh* I also was once a makeup artist so I am often staring at skin/wrinkles.

and i mentioned no such addendum...i simply said that they could word (or structure) the contract in such a way that it didnt affect us if he retired early...if they do it the way you said or some other way thats all well and good, and i never indicated otherwise...so yes, you were nit picking.

Was just trying to explain what can and can't happen based on monies paid.

Before we drafted him Peyton told us if we didnt draft him hed kick our butts up and down the field for the next 15 years. I really believe if we dont bring him back he'll stick to his words (maybe not 15 years)

What if the Luck led Colts beat the Manning led....whoever they are. I mean the world would explode.

Then all of a sudden people like doogan would be on the Luck train since he beat Manning head to head!!!!

I honestly think it's unfair to compare Luck to anyone right now who is established. IMO he has all the tools/brains/leadership etc. of being a top QB someday but has not even joined the league yet. It is unfair.

I know Packers fans who didn't want Rodgers either once and no way would he replace Favre.

Winning cures everything. If the Luck led Colts someday win big games then people will be kissing his butt. If he is a bust, then we are in trouble.

i never was a big fan of farve so him being surpassed by aaron doesnt surprise me. As far as luck he may or may not become an elite qb but to say that he will have the drive like peyton does to be that good is highly unlikely. (Although possible) take rodgers out of the line up n they would still have a good team. (Like the season finale) take manning out of colts line up and they are 2-14. But i do get what you are sayin. I hope im wrong...i just dont think he will ever match manning. Just my opinion

Before we drafted him Peyton told us if we didnt draft him hed kick our butts up and down the field for the next 15 years. I really believe if we dont bring him back he'll stick to his words (maybe not 15 years)

Thing is, those 15 years is about up. Just as Manning said....sorta prophetic. If he plays elsewhere I'll be pulling for him as long as it's not against us.

i never was a big fan of farve so him being surpassed by aaron doesnt surprise me. As far as luck he may or may not become an elite qb but to say that he will have the drive like peyton does to be that good is highly unlikely. (Although possible) take rodgers out of the line up n they would still have a good team. (Like the season finale) take manning out of colts line up and they are 2-14. But i do get what you are sayin. I hope im wrong...i just dont think he will ever match manning. Just my opinion

What if he matches him in playoff wins or gets more someday?

Many Packers fans criticized Aaron until he got that ring and now an MVP is coming.

Like I said, it's all about winning. If we end up with Luck and he suceeds his bandwagon will grow larger and larger. The pressure will be on. He is a smart guy though and I think he can deal with it. I don't think many would expect an overnight miracle with the situation here.

Speaking of Luck, I wonder how he feels watching all this unfold in the media and seeing Colts fans wave his jersey around.

What if he matches him in playoff wins or gets more someday?

Many Packers fans criticized Aaron until he got that ring and now an MVP is coming.

Like I said, it's all about winning. If we end up with Luck and he suceeds his bandwagon will grow larger and larger. The pressure will be on. He is a smart guy though and I think he can deal with it. I don't think many would expect an overnight miracle with the situation here.

Speaking of Luck, I wonder how he feels watching all this unfold in the media and seeing Colts fans wave his jersey around.

oh man, i would think this is all making him crazy! I couldnt imagine having to worry about coming in and replacing manning! Especially if a healthy peyton is cut. The pressure will definitely be on!!! Lol

One of the Giants blog said they counted and Eli was asked more Peyton questions today than superbowl questions

Yeah not sure I like this. I know Brady also commented on Peyton since they are friends.

I was kinda hoping it would not be like this but it was near inevitable considering where the SB is and who is in it. *sigh*

One of the Giants blog said they counted and Eli was asked more Peyton questions today than superbowl questions

That is kinda sad, but expected. It's only amplified with the game being here in Indy.

Not sure if you are much on trivia but here is a neat fact you can take back to your Giants board.

Most combined Passing yards heading into a SUPER BOWL

XLVI
Tom Brady, NE (5,235)
Eli Manning, NYG (4,933)

XLIV
Peyton Manning, IND (4,500)
Drew Brees, NO (4,388)

XIX
Dan Marino, MIA (5,084)
Joe Montana, SF (3,630)

XLII
Tom Brady, NE (4,806)
Eli Manning, NYG (3,336)

XXXI
Drew Bledsoe, NE (4,086)
Brett Favre, GB (3,899)

As much as I try to find a way for Peyton an Luck to be here together so Luck can learn from one of the very best, I just can't see any logical way for it to happen. If I just thought with my emotions like many here do then yes there is a way for it to happen, but when you throw logic into the equation, then there just isn't any logical way for them both to be here. And no, I don't think Manning will be ready in time for the march 8th deadline, so that alone tells me Manning will not be here. There is just no way on earth Irsay is going to pick up that 28 million dollar option unless Manning is completely healthy.

One thing I can assure anybody is, that Irsay is not going to make an emotionally charged decision about whether to keep Manning or not. Thats the main difference in the way the fans are thinking and the way the owner of a multi-million dollar organization is thinking. I don't really care if Manning is making progress or not, if he isn't 100% completely healthy by the deadline then he won't be a Colt next season.

That is kinda sad, but expected. It's only amplified with the game being here in Indy.

Not sure if you are much on trivia but here is a neat fact you can take back to your Giants board.

Most combined Passing yards heading into a SUPER BOWL

XLVI
Tom Brady, NE (5,235)
Eli Manning, NYG (4,933)

XLIV
Peyton Manning, IND (4,500)
Drew Brees, NO (4,388)

XIX
Dan Marino, MIA (5,084)
Joe Montana, SF (3,630)

XLII
Tom Brady, NE (4,806)
Eli Manning, NYG (3,336)

XXXI
Drew Bledsoe, NE (4,086)
Brett Favre, GB (3,899)

The QB with less passing yards in each SB won.

As much as I try to find a way for Peyton an Luck to be here together so Luck can learn from one of the very best, I just can't see any logical way for it to happen. If I just thought with my emotions like many here do then yes there is a way for it to happen, but when you throw logic into the equation, then there just isn't any logical way for them both to be here. And no, I don't think Manning will be ready in time for the march 8th deadline, so that alone tells me Manning will not be here. There is just no way on earth Irsay is going to pick up that 28 million dollar option unless Manning is completely healthy.

One thing I can assure anybody is, that Irsay is not going to make an emotionally charged decision about whether to keep Manning or not. Thats the main difference in the way the fans are thinking and the way the owner of a multi-million dollar organization is thinking. I don't really care if Manning is making progress or not, if he isn't 100% completely healthy by the deadline then he won't be a Colt next season.

Like you, I also would be suprised if both Luck and Manning were on the same team next year. I am not sure I want it to happen either.

Here's the thing Manning saying he hopes this is seatled soon is probably not good news if you are a fan of him staying. Unless he has healed and is tricking everyone I am guessing he might be ready to tell the Colts if you are going to release me just do it and get it over with and let's not have this play out. I am sorry but I don't see the Colts commiting to Manning unless they know for a fact he's healthy and I don't think they know that right now.

With that said I would love to be 100% wrong about this and have Manning stay a Colt and finish his career here.

Here's the thing Manning saying he hopes this is seatled soon is probably not good news if you are a fan of him staying. Unless he has healed and is tricking everyone I am guessing he might be ready to tell the Colts if you are going to release me just do it and get it over with and let's not have this play out. I am sorry but I don't see the Colts commiting to Manning unless they know for a fact he's healthy and I don't think they know that right now.

With that said I would love to be 100% wrong about this and have Manning stay a Colt and finish his career here.

My point kinda all along. I never felt comfortable with this interview. I don't get the optimism either. It does tell me Manning might play next year, but not with the Colts.

He wants this settled sooner then later.

My point kinda all along. I never felt comfortable with this interview. I don't get the optimism either. It does tell me Manning might play next year, but not with the Colts.

I have wonder if the "sources" saying that Manning might retire, etc... are actually the Colts/Irsay planting seeds so that people don't react badly when they release him. I want Peyton to stay with the Colts, but if they release him, I hope he plays elsewhere.

Just keep trying to get better. So far I have.

So far he has been getting better.

The most telling remark was his opening one. "I really feel good. I continue to make progress every day."

There was no hesitation in that. No "trying" or anything that can be misconstrued. The man said it and obviously believes it. There were no ticks or tells to suggest he was hiding anything.

What if the Luck led Colts beat the Manning led....whoever they are. I mean the world would explode.

Then all of a sudden people like doogan would be on the Luck train since he beat Manning head to head!!!!

Head-to-head doesn't matter. Federer is still a better player all-time than Nadal despite their head-to-head. H2H records are often circumstantial. Brady's head-to-head against Manning is pretty good, despite in being 2-5, or whatever, the last 7 times they played. The QB's don't play each other; they play against a defense.

I would support Luck if he were the Colts starting QB. I will support Manning wherever he goes, though I think it's here or retirement for him. If they were to somehow play against each other, I'd probably pull for Manning no matter what. I can't help but feel that this team did him a little wrong, and are vicariously trying to make it right with a rookie QB instead.

The most telling remark was his opening one. "I really feel good. I continue to make progress every day."

There was no hesitation in that. No "trying" or anything that can be misconstrued. The man said it and obviously believes it. There were no ticks or tells to suggest he was hiding anything.

I am not sure what he believes he is making progress on every day.

1) About feeling good? He must have been very sad to make progress on feeling good every day. Or similarly, feeling better with less pain every day?

2) About ability to throw the ball like he was pre-injury? I don't think he said that.

3) About something else?

Maybe Irsay wanted him to retire not to make it easier but to take some of the heat off him if Peyton can play and he cuts him. haha That would be a real delima if he cuts him and Peyton signs with another team and does well. Kind of like mud in your face so to speak. I guess time will tell what Irsay decides to do. Hope he doesn't start tweeting about something that is important to all the fans and just hold a presser after they have their discussion and get things worked out.

I

Think you hit the nail on the head!

Personally I have felt that ship has sailed as soon as we were falling in line for the #1 pick, or that close to the #1 pick. Obviously Polian isn't here any more, but I had the perception that him and Irsay would be willing to move future draft picks to move up to #1 if they didn't get it on their own.

I am not sure what he believes he is making progress on every day.

1) About feeling good? He must have been very sad to make progress on feeling good every day. Or similarly, feeling better with less pain every day?

2) About ability to throw the ball like he was pre-injury? I don't think he said that.

3) About something else?

I'm not understanding. Are you saying his injury has made him delusional?

Of course. Irsay would rather Manning retire than to be the bad guy in this equation.

I agree.

What scares me, is if the docs say that Peyton should not play, that Peyton would want to show everyone that they're wrong, and insist on playing, given his competitive nature, which may lead to not only injury but impairment.