Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are CLOSE to Contending...

jshipp23

14 minutes ago, krunk said:

Get the D fixed along with this running game and we'll be good.  If we had the combination of both this year that would have bought us at least 4 of the games we lost.  Don't think the coaches need to be fired. Improve the personnel and we'll be alright.  

I still think we will be good, but I'd prefer an elite coach...It is what it is I like our potential if we play offseason correct..I still think with a better HC we easily could be 10-6 or 11-5, but it could be a lot worse..I don't think we are devoid of talent like some do..I like our young guys a lot...We have the QB, that's  50% of the battle right there..

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I still think we will be good, but I'd prefer an elite coach...It is what it is I like our potential if we play offseason correct..I still think with a better HC we easily could he 10-6 or 11-5, but it could be a lot worse..I don't think we are devoid of talent like some do..I like our young guys a lot...

And who will this elite coach be?  It ain't going to be Gruden, so unless you're talking about Saban or Harbaugh to me I'd prefer we just fix this defense and the running game.  In my eyes if you ain't talking about Saban or Harbaugh then I think we stick with the guys we got.  We'll be in the second year of an offense that is scoring 30 points a game, an improving young offensive line,same offensive system. Add a Mcaffrey, Foreman, Cook, Fournette etc and we are good on that side of the football.  Make massive personell additions on the defensive side of the football along with being in year two of the defensive scheme and I think we will be in the tournament.  

Pagano would have to do the worst job of all time to screw it up.  If he does then I say don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.  Chuck could be better, but like I said in another thread I watched years of Jack Del Rio and I know he's no better a coach than Pagano.  Del Rio just has more talent in more places this time around.

2 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

We are very far from being a contender with this staff. A different staff and you maybe right on! 

I'd like to think so, but honestly even though we're coached terribly we have a ton of holes all over the field.

I'd love to be on board the 'we're close' train, but I don't think we're very close.

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

Get the D fixed along with this running game and we'll be good.  If we had the combination of both this year that would have bought us at least 4 of the games we lost.  Don't think the coaches need to be fired. Improve the personnel and we'll be alright.  

I think you're right.  The coaches getting fired now have losing records.  Chuck has a winning record in the years he's been here , never a losing season.  After giving them new contracts last year I don't think you bail on them now.  Get that RB and a few FA defensive additions and another strong draft and we will be on our way.  Just a little more patience is all that's needed. 

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think you're right.  The coaches getting fired now have losing records.  Chuck has a winning record in the years he's been here , never a losing season.  After giving them new contracts last year I don't think you bail on them now.  Get that RB and a few FA defensive additions and another strong draft and we will be on our way.  Just a little more patience is all that's needed. 

I just don't think you do it unless there is a Harbaugh or Saban available.  If there is then I can deal with the decision.  If there ain't and I don't think it will be then you stick with Chuck for another year, improve the teams personnel as much as possible.  If he can't get it done with that then bye, bye, bro it's been a nice ride.  I like just about all the staff we have.  I just think you can't keep asking them to have Super Bowl expectations with inferior personnel on that defense primarily.   You can only have up and down mediocre results from that. 

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

And who will this elite coach be?  It ain't going to be Gruden, so unless you're talking about Saban or Harbaugh to me I'd prefer we just fix this defense and the running game.  In my eyes if you ain't talking about Saban or Harbaugh then I think we stick with the guys we got.  We'll be in the second year of an offense that is scoring 30 points a game, an improving young offensive line,same offensive system. Add a Mcaffrey, Foreman, Cook, Fournette etc and we are good on that side of the football.  Make massive personell additions on the defensive side of the football along with being in year two of the defensive scheme and I think we will be in the tournament.  

Pagano would have to do the worst job of all time to screw it up.  If he does then I say don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.  Chuck could be better, but like I said in another thread I watched years of Jack Del Rio and I know he's no better a coach than Pagano.  Del Rio just has more talent in more places this time around.

I am talking Gruden, Harbaugh, Payton, Urban Meyer, Saban..I wouldn't change for the sake of changing..I think we are a very appealing destination for those guys though..

I think Pagano gets the players to play hard...I just think he is terriblebat preparation, game management, and in game adjustments..Just got to hope he gets better if we keep him...Let the coordinators handle the game plan and Pagano be a figure head if we go that route..

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I am talking Gruden, Harbaugh, Payton, Urban Meyer, Saban..I wouldn't change for the sake of changing..I think we are a very appealing destination for those guys though..

Gruden ain't leaving the studio.  Payton ain't been in the playoffs in 3 years so how's that elite?  I'd be cool with Harbaugh.  Urban Meyer has no NFL experience that I know of so that's pretty risky.  Saban is a college coach but he's got a lot of NFL experience so I'm okay with Saban even though I still don't like that he ran out on the Dolphins when the fire got too hot.  

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

Those are all experienced HC's with solid resumes.  I have no problem with any of them if Jim thinks he has to make a change.  No more coordinators learning on the job for me.  

30 minutes ago, krunk said:

Gruden ain't leaving the studio.  Payton ain't been in the playoffs in 3 years so how's that elite?  I'd be cool with Harbaugh.  Urban Meyer has no NFL experience that I know of so that's pretty risky.  Saban is a college coach but he's got a lot of NFL experience so I'm okay with Saban even though I still don't like that he ran out on the Dolphins when the fire got too hot.  

I think if we offer Gruden 10 million and a say in personnel decisions he will come out to coach Luck..

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I think Pagano gets the players to play hard...I just think he is terriblebat preparation, game management, and in game adjustments..Just got to hope he gets better if we keep him...Let the coordinators handle the game plan and Pagano be a figure head if we go that route..

He does get the players to play hard.  No question. It's the game planning I worry about. Chud's game plan today was awful to start. Like 4 or 5 three and outs to start the game.  Then it's fight back to win again.  Chud I am not so sure about. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Those are all experienced HC's with solid resumes.  I have no problem with any of them if Jim thinks he has to make a change.  No more coordinators learning on the job for me.  

I don't want any coordinators or old retreads either ...ONLY retreads would be Payton, Gruden, Cowher, Jimmy Johnson type guys..No McDaniels or Shanahans

Gruden - Took a team to the Super Bowl that he did not build whatsoever. Tampa hasn't won a playoff game since their SB victory. Gruden changed quarterbacks every year in Tampa Bay, the people that want him as a coach clearly never watched Tampa when he was there. Their offense over the years gradully declined to the point they became worse than the Trent Dilfer/Jamie King teams that Dungy had success with, all while Gruden just rode that historic defense until the wheels fell off the wagon. Other than that, he's not leaving ESPN. He's making millions to talk about "this guy" every Monday night. 

Harbaugh - Not leaving Michigan and if he did, why would he go to the Colts? Just cause he was the QB 20 years ago is no guarantee he wants to coach them. I highly doubt he wants to coach for Jim Irsay. When he was QB for the Colts, Robert Irsay was still the owner...I also highly doubt he would want to go there just for Andrew Luck. Harbaugh can make success regardless of the QB, as proven when he had Alex Smith and Kaepernick.

Payton - Not leaving New Orleans, and if he did after 2017; again, highly doubt he wants to deal with Grigson or Irsay. Payton likes to have complete control of a team, and he's got that with Mickey Loomis in N.O. Having Brees at QB is a lot better for him than having Luck. 

Meyer - Not leaving college, would probably be another Chip Kelly in the pros. 

Saban - Probably the most overrated coach in football right now. Take away Alabama and their big budget and put him on a normal college team like when he was at Michigan State, and he's mediocre. Check his history with the Miami Dolphins and read what former players had to say about him, specifically Heath Evans. Saban is not known as being a coach who is on the same level with his players. He can get away with bossing around kids in college, but that don't work in pros. 

No need to talk about coaches though. Your owner has proven his incompetence already. Grigson and Pagano are staying. After all, this team is "only a few bounces away from being 12-4" even though any team with a bunch of close losses can make that exact same argument. The fans cheering to keep Pagano and Grigson are in for a rude awakening next year when nothing changes. Would have thought this year would have been a wake up call, but it clearly was not. Polian and Dungy ain't here to fix Irsay's team anymore. 

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Has a Super Bowl ring, and the Colts haven't been in the playoffs in the last two years and by the look of things, aren't going back any time soon since Tennessee and Houston clearly have it together. 

Just now, richard pallo said:

He does get the players to play hard.  No question. It's the game planning I worry about. Chud's game plan today was awful to start. Like 4 or 5 three and outs to start the game.  Then it's fight back to win again.  Chud I am not so sure about. 

Yeah i don't understand why we don't go uptempo more either..I think Chud could get better especially if he gets a threat at RB..Defense needs some pieces and to stay healthy before we can really judge Monachino...

4 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

Has a Super Bowl ring, and the Colts haven't been in the playoffs in the last two years and by the look of things, aren't going back any time soon since Tennessee and Houston clearly have it together. 

What has he done lately?  That's the theme of the NFL, and especially true for a guy whose had a franchise QB his entire career with NO.  Heck Jim Caldwells been in the Super Bowl but he ain't here!  Sean Payton and the boys havent even been in playoff contention. You can't be serious.

Just now, krunk said:

What has he done lately?  That's the theme of the NFL, and especially true for a guy whose had

a franchise QB his entire career with NO.  Heck Jim Caldwell had a Super Bowl ring but he ain't here!

Did Jim Caldwell have one as a head coach? No, Payton does. 

And what have the Colts done lately? You have the highest paid QB in NFL history and despite all this hype, you're an 8-8 team with him. That's a lot to brag about. 

Yeah i don't understand why we don't go uptempo more either..I think Chud could get better especially if he gets a threat at RB..Defense needs some pieces and to stay healthy before we can really judge Monachino...

Yes a good RB does change everything.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed this draft.

People forget Gruden had the RAIDERS on the doorstep of a Super Bowl as well when they try and bash him...He had an old Gannon, never a QB or weapons on offense the Colts have..He would turn us into a machine I have no doubt about that...Harbaugh would too in short order..

People forget Gruden had rhe RAIDERS on tje doorstep of a Super Bowl as well when they try and bash him...He had an old Gannon, never a QB or weapons on offense the Colts have..He would turn us into a machine I have no doubt about that...Harbaugh would too in short order..

That was back over 15 years ago....

People also forget that Gruden's QB philosophy basically is to try and find Gannon 2.0

If he was your coach last year, he would have kept Hasselbeck and traded Luck just due to Hasselbeck having more wins. 

Look up Tampa Bay's quarterbacks between 2003 to 2008, and look at how many old backups he signed thinking was going to turn into Rich Gannon. He signed Brian Griese, thinking he could be his next Gannon and in his last years, he went after a 37 year old Jeff Garcia. 

Gruden wasn't all that great. Just ask Tampa Bay fans about the quarterback situation. 

3 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

And what have the Colts done lately? You have the highest paid QB in NFL history and despite all this hype, you're an 8-8 team with him. That's a lot to brag about. 

The point is bro you don't get rid of them for a guy who ain't sniffed the playoffs in years and he donesn't even have an excuse as to why he can't get them in there .

7 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

Dude spend more time on that trash heap called the Saints.   A super bowl winning coach who consistently can't even get 8 wins.  Yeah let's hire that so we can go 5-11

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

What has he done lately?  That's the theme of the NFL, and especially true for a guy whose had a franchise QB his entire career with NO.  Heck Jim Caldwells been in the Super Bowl but he ain't here!  Sean Payton and the boys havent even been in playoff contention. You can't be serious.

And the Colts haven't been in playoff contention the past two years either, so? What is there for you to brag about? 

Your team isn't much better than mine...

Just now, krunk said:

Dude spend more time on that trash heap called the Saints.   A super bowl winning coach who consistently can't even get 8 wins.  Yeah let's hire that so we can go 5-11

And he won a Super Bowl. What have the Colts done lately? 

My trash heap team has a Super Bowl ring with their head coach and quarterback. You have the highest paid quarterback in NFL history, who was the most hyped up draft prospect since John Elway, and you're an 8-8 team that lost twice to Brock - the guy you all hate cause he won some games in Denver. 

I hope you guys keep Pagano and Grigson forever. Everyone can clearly see you're never going back to the playoffs with them. Titans fans, Texans fans, and even Jags fans can't be happier than they are over this. 

Just now, Synthetic said:

And the Colts haven't been in playoff contention the past two years either, so? What is there for you to brag about? 

Your team isn't much better than mine...

We're closer than you so why would we need to pick from your coaching again?  Peyton is not a good choice.  Oh yeah beause he won a Super Bowl 8 freakin years ago.   Heck I'd take Tom Coughlin before I took that guy if we didn't have to blow up half the team to do it. 

7 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

People also forget that Gruden's QB philosophy basically is to try and find Gannon 2.0

If he was your coach last year, he would have kept Hasselbeck and traded Luck just due to Hasselbeck having more wins. 

Look up Tampa Bay's quarterbacks between 2003 to 2008, and look at how many old backups he signed thinking was going to turn into Rich Gannon. He signed Brian Griese, thinking he could be his next Gannon and in his last years, he went after a 37 year old Jeff Garcia. 

Gruden wasn't all that great. Just ask Tampa Bay fans about the quarterback situation. 

This might be your most nonsensical post yet,   and that is saying a lot

1 minute ago, Synthetic said:

And he won a Super Bowl. What have the Colts done lately? 

My trash heap team has a Super Bowl ring with their head coach and quarterback. You have the highest paid quarterback in NFL history, who was the most hyped up draft prospect since John Elway, and you're an 8-8 team that lost twice to Brock - the guy you all hate cause he won some games in Denver. 

I hope you guys keep Pagano and Grigson forever. Everyone can clearly see you're never going back to the playoffs with them. Titans fans, Texans fans, and even Jags fans can't be happier than they are over this. 

And they will still win more games than the Saints.  Get that through your head.

2 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

He would have traded Luck because Hasselbeck having more wins?  Oh Brother!  Analysis should be  covered under the specialist category in your health plan.   

52 minutes ago, IinD said:

I'd like to think so, but honestly even though we're coached terribly we have a ton of holes all over the field.

I'd love to be on board the 'we're close' train, but I don't think we're very close.

It only takes a certain mindset to set things right for a team. If we can find that coach/general manager, and I know that's a big if, then the colts are closer than everyone wants to believe. We have seen this exact team make the AFCCG. If the talent was so poor then that wouldn't be possible. I would say right now, the failings have been 80% coaching staff and 20% players. A true leader brings out the best in his followers in all aspects of life, and everyone knows how few and far between real leaders are. 

Just now, NannyMcafee said:

It only takes a certain mindset to set things right for a team. If we can find that coach/general manager, and I know that's a big if, then the colts are closer than everyone wants to believe. We have seen this exact team make the AFCCG. If the talent was so poor then that wouldn't be possible. I would say right now, the failings have been 80% coaching staff and 20% players. A true leader brings out the best in his followers in all aspects of life, and everyone knows how few and far between real leaders are. 

I think folks aren't thinking about chemistry though. There's going to be a ton of new faces on this team and it rarely just 'clicks'.

I don't think they're close honestly. 

Who replaces old guys like DQ, Adams, Gore? Where's the pass rush? Where's CB#2?

I can keep going, but you get the idea. I honestly just don't see it as close. It also depends how u define close? 2 or 3 years away?? Yes I'd agree, next year? No way.

18 minutes ago, IinD said:

I think folks aren't thinking about chemistry though. There's going to be a ton of new faces on this team and it rarely just 'clicks'.

I don't think they're close honestly. 

Who replaces old guys like DQ, Adams, Gore? Where's the pass rush? Where's CB#2?

I can keep going, but you get the idea. I honestly just don't see it as close. It also depends how u define close? 2 or 3 years away?? Yes I'd agree, next year? No way.

I'm not saying that we are going to become contenders over night. That is unlikely even with belichick. But if irsay makes the right moves tomorrow and the next few weeks, this team could make it back to the AFCCG in year 2. And yeah, it's a big if. 

The oline needs one more solid starter to make it stable. We need one impact pass rusher in this offseason. We need one impact CB. Not including a couple quality FA acquisitions and this team is very much in the thick of things. 

Have You watched every game the past 2 seasons? When this offense plays like they can (like I said the right leader) it is pretty much unstoppable. But we need that solid right side oline man, and just maybe the running game can be consistent which would mean the world for this offense. The offense isn't far off which means most of our resources can go towards DEFENSE. 

But, the hardest part is finding the right leader which is why I LOVE the idea of hiring Peyton manning, and if polian would be a consultant that would be icing on the cake. 

I have heard mention that peyton will want to be part owner, but how much would it take to convince him? 3%, maybe 5 to 10% ??? 

Peyton Manning loves Indianapolis. There are ways to make this happen. I would take Peyton and Polian in a heart beat. 

Yes, a lot of ifs. My point is, talent wise, we aren't that far off. 

13 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Every once in a while an elite defense with a mediocre qb wins one sure...Look at most Super Bowl and playoff teams QBs..Most have a franchise QB...

I'm with you it takes a good team with a top QB. You don't have to have the number 1 D in the league.  We were handed the most difficult part of that puzzle. 

Atlanta KC and Oakland are in the playoffs but ranked in the bottom 1/4 of the league in total D.  We have Luck the OL looks like it's coming. Next year we add to the D. 

My worry is our our draft picks on D unders Grig's   DL-  Fugger  Chapman Hughes Anderson Parry  LB's- Werner Herrera Bates  Newsome Jackson Morrison DB- Boyett Geathers Smith 

My count is 2 of 14 players are starting caliber Anderson and Geathers. 10 of 14 aren't  on the team.  His track record with LB's is alarming considering that's the most important spots we have to fill.