jshipp23

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hmmmm?      :scratch:            :dunno: 

It appears you have trouble understanding the concept of a "salary cap."

You can't make the best offer if other teams have far more money than you do.

It really is that simple and is not a hard concept to learn.     Ryan Grigson already knows this.

This is a bit overly simplistic.  Certainly the amount of cap you have to spend is relevant, and the big spenders tend to be the teams with the most cap available, but the amount "overpaid" by the market is still within reason, and well within the Colt's reach on any player we would choose to target.

1 minute ago, ztboiler said:

This is a bit overly simplistic.  Certainly the amount of cap you have to spend is relevant, and the big spenders tend to be the teams with the most cap available, but the amount "overpaid" by the market is still within reason, and well within the Colt's reach on any player we would choose to target.

Someone sees it..

2 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

The teams with that kinda cap have many more needs and no qb..just saying

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hmmmm?      :scratch:            :dunno: 

It appears you have trouble understanding the concept of a "salary cap."

You can't make the best offer if other teams have far more money than you do.

It really is that simple and is not a hard concept to learn.     Ryan Grigson already knows this.

We just need a couple guys in free agency and to draft well..We don't need Ricky Jean Francois anymore...

9 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Pick a number for the Colts.      How much salary cap money do they have?

50, 60, 70, 80 million dollars.

Two teams are projected to have roughly 100 Million dollars. 

If we get into a bidding war for a big name player,  what do you think our chances are?

Another poster noted we're currently ranked 10th.     Fans will note all the players the Colts are going to cut so we're going to have so much more than we have now.      Guess what?     So, will all the other teams.    They'll cut marginal players as well.    

The chances of us getting out-bid for the top name players are greater than the chances that we sign the player.

I'm NOT saying we'll get shut-out.     I'm not saying we'll get out-bid for everyone.      But for many of the players we want,  we stand a good chance of coming up short.

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

agreed.  IMO the only reason more ILBs are selected in round 1 is simply because it's rare for a pro-ready ILB to be in the draft, but when they're there (Kuechly, Patrick Willis, Ray Lewis, CJ Mosely etc) then they're definitely worth a 1st.  I never agreed with the devaluation of the MLB position anyway.

If we are going to compare cream of the cream, would you take any of those MLBs in their prime over Darelle Revis in his prime?  Again, even Ray Lewis at his best generally only stopped a RB from getting a first down.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If we get into a bidding war for a big name player,  what do you think our chances are?

Another poster noted we're currently ranked 10th.     Fans will note all the players the Colts are going to cut so we're going to have so much more than we have now.      Guess what?     So, will all the other teams.    They'll cut marginal players as well.    

The chances of us getting out-bid for the top name players are greater than the chances that we sign the player.

I'm NOT saying we'll get shut-out.     I'm not saying we'll get out-bid for everyone.      But for many of the players we want,  we stand a good chance of coming up short.

We need 2 on defense basically. .So we r the whale..If for some reason Bell is on open market we overpay for him and go all defense in draft..Concentrate on Poe, Collins, Bouye, Bell,Jones, Haden, Ingram and draft according to needs.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If we are going to compare cream of the cream, would you take any of those MLBs in their prime over Darelle Revis in his prime?  Again, even Ray Lewis at his best generally only stopped a RB from getting a first down.

King is only cb i c like Revis,he is Revis  jr..I would take him , but id take cook, allen, peppers, cunningham , foster over him depending how it shakes out..If he is BPA i take him..CB needs another prospect and depth,  but if they stay healthy im ok..

Just now, jshipp23 said:

King is only cb i c like Revis,he is Revis  jr..

My whole point about positional value is that I would take Revis over Lewis at pick 15, if I had that choice.  It would be rare that two great players at positions of need are available when you pick, so picking a MLB like Lewis over some other CB is certainly a strong possibility.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

My whole point about positional value is that I would take Revis over Lewis at pick 15, if I had that choice.  It would be rare that two great players at positions of need are available when you pick, so picking a MLB like Lewis over some other CB is certainly a strong possibility.

If it comes down to cunningham and foster over king it'd be tough..I go ilb..both r rare every 4 yr type ilbs..

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Tarkingsly in 2nd wouldn't be bad either..Antonio Cromartie clone

14 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

We need 2 on defense basically. .So we r the whale..If for some reason Bell is on open market we overpay for him and go all defense in draft..Concentrate on Poe, Collins, Bouye, Bell,Jones, Haden, Ingram and draft according to needs.

Bell wants more than 10 mill per year.      For a running back?

With a history of drug problems and suspensions?

Come on now......................

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That would be tough knowing what we know now..Couldn't go wrong either way..Watch King tell me who he reminds u of

8 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

That would be tough knowing what we know now..Couldn't go wrong either way..Watch King tell me who he reminds u of

I leave the tape watching to the professionals.  I could probably say if I thought he moved well, tackled well, and reacted well, but that's about it.

Bell wants more than 10 mill per year.      For a running back?

With a history of drug problems and suspensions?

Come on now......................

I know you don't value running backs, but other than qb, olb or de depending on d, running back can change your franchise..Somebody will draft fournette and have Bo Jackson, wish we had Bo Jackson just saying..RB can change everything if you got a bad boy

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

History is on the side of the teams that lose the bidding wars.  

I expect us to have 55-60 million in cap space after cuts.  We won't miss out on any players because we don't have the cash.  We'll miss out on some players because we are a well run franchise.

We will bring in some guys, maybe even 2 on contacts north of $10M per, but we will not nor should we forsake the path we are on.  We'll have to draft well to get our difference-makers.

2 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

I expect us to have 55-60 million in cap space after cuts.  We won't miss out on any players because we don't have the cash.  We'll miss out on some players because we are a well run franchise.

We will bring in some guys, maybe even 2 on contacts north of $10M per, but we will not nor should we forsake the path we are on.  We'll have to draft well to get our difference-makers.

We will and it's very possible..2 difference maker pro bowl talent players combined with young drafted talent can do wonders for a defense..

32 minutes ago, DougDew said:

To your question about one of those MLBs vs. Revis...it would depend on my current roster and which was the higher need. 

to your  point about Ray Lewis....um, no

10 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

This is an interesting post.     And I think we should revisit this, bookmark it,  for mid-March.

We'll watch things unfold.      I think we have some common ground here.     And still some disagreements here.

And that's OK.       But there's no way to know until roughly 3 months from now.....

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is an interesting post.     And I think we should revisit this, bookmark it,  for mid-March.

We'll watch things unfold.      I think we have some common ground here.     And still some disagreements here.

And that's OK.       But there's no way to know until roughly 3 months from now.....

Elway isn't the smartest guy on the block, but fa wise he is einstein..we need ro learn. Quality over quantity and draft well..Last 2 drafts were legit, and makes this draft much much simpler, rb, olb, olb, olb

2 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

We just need to upgrade from Awful to bad or average really. 

A healthy Colts defense is at least average.  But a Colts defense with starters that include:

Edwin Jackson

Antonio Morrison

TJ Green

Matthias Farley

Rashaan Melvin

Darryl Morris

is not.

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Elway isn't the smartest guy on the book, but fa wise he is einstein..we need ro learn. Quality over quantity and draft well..Last 2 drafts were legit, ans makes rhis draft much much simpler, rb, olb, olb, olb

but dear god I hope not in that order

4 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Elway isn't the smartest guy on the block, but fa wise he is einstein..we need ro learn. Quality over quantity and draft well..Last 2 drafts were legit, and makes this draft much much simpler, rb, olb, olb, olb

I'm not quite sure where this idea that Elway isn't a bright guy comes from?

The guy went to a little school called.....  Stanford.   

They don't admit guys who aren't that smart.      Not even quarterbacks with a Golden Arm.

In a recent story, Elway laughed at the idea that there are people who think he's not smart.    He's likes being underestimated.      He's laughing all the way to the bank.       Not too bad for a not very smart guy.

26 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I know you don't value running backs, but other than qb, olb or de depending on d, running back can change your franchise..Somebody will draft fournette and have Bo Jackson, wish we had Bo Jackson just saying..RB can change everything if you got a bad boy

You're wrong again!      It's the NFL that doesn't value them all that much.

I love them!      But I'd prefer not to spend a #1 on them if I can avoid it.     And since there are so many other quality backs,   I'd prefer to grab one in rounds 2-4.     And with all of our needs on defense,   I'd prefer round 4.

But if it's higher,  then it's higher.      The defense will just have to wait another year.     Again.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

They don't admit guys who aren't that smart.      Not even quarterbacks with a Golden Arm.

In a recent story, Elway laughed at the idea that there are people who think he's not smart.    He's likes being underestimated.      He's laughing all the way to the bank.       Not too bad for a not very smart guy.

Couldn't hold a candle to Manning just saying. .Not a bad thing, Elway is Luck so we got to make decisions around that...we got Elway now, different last name..Elway had some nasty defenses behind him in the early super bowl loss years,  thats the difference.  .Same player though, ill take it

You're wrong again!      It's the NFL that doesn't value them all that much.

I love them!      But I'd prefer not to spend a #1 on them if I can avoid it.     And since there are so many other quality backs,   I'd prefer to grab one in rounds 2-4.     And with all of our needs on defense,   I'd prefer round 4.

But if it's higher,  then it's higher.      The defense will just have to wait another year.     Again.

You are so wrong man..Ask the cowboys 

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He may be smart, but not in peytons ballpark nfl iq wise.Reminds me of another Stanford grad

5 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

We gotta get fournette, cook, mcCaffery, gallman, or foreman in that order.

I agree.  Has to happen with our 1st. pick.  Time to get that big back and stop this craziness on waiting for the later rounds.  I think we are going to get two possibly three difference makers on defense in FA and don't forget a trade as well.  I think we are all going to be very happy when we see what comes out of FA and the draft.  I can see Ryan bringing in another great infusion of young talent this off season.   I think Jim has to be very happy with our draft class this year.  I think Chuck and Ryan put their heads together to pull last years draft off and I think they will get a chance to do it again.  Pretty hard to fire anyone in this league if you go 8-8. 

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Since we'll only ever get partial information....not sure what there will be to revisit....but sure, I love a good exchange of ideas...

I think the only thing you and I may disagree on is why we may miss out on big names.  You seem to indicate it's because we can't, where as I'm suggesting it's because we won't.  

Silly money will chase the first 5 guys or so...then we'll get a couple of "bargains" in the $10 - $15M per year range.

History simply isn't on the side of those that "win" free agency.  Strategic exceptions do occur ie. Bronchos of 2015 winning the Superbowl in 2016.  Yet...they didn't go out and sign Ndamokong Suh.  

We all know this.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I agree.  Has to happen with our 1st. pick.  Time to get that big back and stop this craziness on waiting for the later rounds.  I think we are going to get two possibly three difference makers on defense in FA and don't forget a trade as well.  I think we are all going to be very happy when we see what comes out of FA and the draft.  I can see Ryan bringing in another great infusion of young talent this off season.   I think Jim has to be very happy with our draft class this year.  I think Chuck and Ryan put their heads together to pull last years draft off and I think they will get a chance to do it again.  Pretty hard to fire anyone in this league if you go 8-8. 

On offense we need that rb, i love Gore , but a lotof those 5yd runs could've been 20+ with a machine..We need that guy..Even if defense sucks itll take 40 to beat us like the Manning years if we go that route