Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hypothetical draft trade

With how deep this draft is in Corner and Pass rusher, would it be smart to trade away some draft picks from next years draft, for a couple this year in the first and second? 

Giving us 2 first rounders, and 2 second rounders. With the quality depth at corner and pass rusher in this years draft, I feel like this could be an awesome move. Not including the UDFA that will fall. 

Your thoughts? I understand we may have to forfeit a few more picks next year but worth it?

imagine two high end rushers with both our first round picks, and oline and corner in the other 2. 

I would try and make this happen!

That's the thing though. Because it's so deep at a position like pass rusher, we don't need to trade up. But even then I don't think there are too pass rushers that elite that you might want two first round picks. Myles Garrett is the only Khalil Mack, Bosa, Clowney, type where he's a blue chip talent. The rest of the guys are like your Shaq Lawson's. 

And the CB class isn't as deep as you're making it. I don't see a bonafied top 10 pick anywhere like last year with Hargreaves and Ramsey. There aren't even that many top tier prospects at all at most positions. You have Garrett, Peppers,Jonathan Allen, Fournette, Cook, and then everyone else.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not interested in selling the house for another high draft pick, but I would absolutely explore packaging this year's comp + next year's 4th to move up to the 3rd this year. I think there's so much depth at positions of need on defense that we'll want to spend our first 3 picks on that side of the ball. If you can then  jump back into the 3rd, you can get your starting RB as well before the pool has dried up in the 4th.

That's really the only scenario where I'm interested in moving up. And you better be damn sure the guy you're moving up to get wouldn't have been there a round later. Otherwise I'm actually a proponent for moving down a few slots in the 1st or 2nd for additional 3rd-4th rounders.

The scenario the OP suggested was robbing the coffers in '18 in order to add picks in '17.

Typically the present value of a draft pick is an entire round.  Meaning it would require a 1st in '18 just to acquire a mediocre 2nd in '17.  I don't like this loss of value but a GM on the hot seat probably wouldn't mind.

On 11/29/2016 at 11:23 AM, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

With how deep this draft is in Corner and Pass rusher, would it be smart to trade away some draft picks from next years draft, for a couple this year in the first and second? 

Giving us 2 first rounders, and 2 second rounders. With the quality depth at corner and pass rusher in this years draft, I feel like this could be an awesome move. Not including the UDFA that will fall. 

Your thoughts? I understand we may have to forfeit a few more picks next year but worth it?

imagine two high end rushers with both our first round picks, and oline and corner in the other 2. 

I would try and make this happen!

Here's the problem....

In order to get an extra one in the 2017 draft,  you'd likely need your 2018 1st and 2nd,  maybe more to get someone's one in next year's draft.

No one just swaps pick from year to year.....   I'll give you my 18 1st for your 17 first.      What's the incentive to do that?

So,  if you have to trade multiple picks to get an extra 1,   then suddenly,  you're out of picks to trade an extra 2.

You can't trade a 2018 three and four to get a 2017 two?

This draft isn't worth doing that for.       It's a move of desperation.

So.....    in order to get a 2017 first,  you have to pay a tremendous premium to do it.     You might even have to trade more than a one and a two to get a 2017 first.       It's just way, WAY too expensive.

I would be more interested in seeing the trade value of some of our current players.  

I would be interested in seeing what Moncrief, Dorsett, Mewhort, and Anderson might fetch in trade. I would gladly take a 2nd round pick for each, although I am not sure we could get that in return. 

There should be some great talent available in the 2nd round. Namely Chidobie Awuzie CB Colorado, Raekwon McMillan LB Ohio State, and Ryan Anderson DE Alabama are potential 2nd round prospects to consider. 

It is still early though....