Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Are Some Free Agents The Colts Need To Pick Up ?

stonehart1234

Who do you want the colts to pick up in free agency?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want the colts to pick up in free agency?(multiple choice enabled)

• Carl Nicks G Saints
    • Cortland Finnegan CB Titans
    • Cliff Avril DE Lions (If we dont resign Mathis)
    • Curtis Lofton LB Falcons
    • Brent Grimes CB Falcons
    • NONE

Interestingly, aside from retaining certain of their own players, the Colts offseason needs have not changed from last year. A run stuffing DT, a stud OG, and DB help, particularly SS and CB. Other than that, all the Colts need is a healthy Peyton Manning, a relatively injury free season in general, and special teams improvement. Ergo, maybe 3 key player additions, good health, and good special teams = Colts being a legitimate SB contender in 2012 season.

Already, one might argue the Colts are ahead of the game compared to the 2011 offseason at DT, with Nevis (returning from an impressive, but injured 20122), Moala, and Johnson. On the OL, if Manning returns and Saturday returns, the OL also may be ahead of the game with Anthony Castonzo and Ben Ijalana, assuming they both come back healthy, so again, they need to add one road grader OG to the mix.

With a healthy O-Line, healthy receivers, the return of a healthy Peyton Manning, and improved O-Scheme, the RB situation is fine in the hands of Brown, Addai, and Delone Carter (who only has to improve his ball security).

Secondary needs help and health.

Hence, the Colts need to target a stud OG and a stud CB and or SS. I still hold out hope that Lafeged can develop into a pretty good SS, though. Time will tell.

For free agent CBs, the only one that makes sense to me is Finnegan. I don't see Finnegan as the 'punk' a lot of people want to label him. He's a scrappy player, and WRs don't like to be mugged when they're trying to run a pass route. I for one, would like to see a corner shove a receiver off his route, while wearing a horseshoe on his helmet. The other free agent CBs will most likely be resigned. I don't see Atlanta letting Grimes go, I don't see Bmore letting Webb go, SF found a quality interception machine in Rogers, KC will likely retain Carr, and if NO lets Tracy Porter go, I don't want that guy anywhere near our team.

Like someone above said, there was an article about Finnegan and the help he does with terminally ill children. That doesn't sound like a punk to me. He's a good dude, who plays his football aggressively. I think people point to the Andre Johnson incident as evidence of his punkery, but it always takes two to tango, and it looked like Johnson was the one who was really losing his cool.

At NT I want Soliai, and at LG I want Nicks.

Finnegan, Soliai, Nicks, Mathis, Garcon, Wheeler, Pollak, and Tamme all sound reasonable if Peyton retires and we clear up the cap space.

I would prefer building through the draft. But getting Nicks and Grimes would be awesome. Powers and Grimes would be a very good cb combo

I agree, get a stand out stout gaurd for the oline and build the trenches.

that NT from the dolphins = paul soliai

Have they said if were running the 3-4 or the 4-3 defense?

I have not seen him play but again, have to build up the trenches.

It all depends on our cap space. If Manning comes back and we draft Luck we might not have much to go get players. If we don't bring Manning back we will have more cap space to play with.

Uh I really don't think Manning is coming back at this point unless there is a miracle breakthrough by March 8th or he pushes back that bonus date. The team will have some money to play with.

I'd prefer Brandon McKinnie if the Colts are going to a hybrid defense. McKinnie has played as a pretty solid backup NT in Baltimore. He'd have a leg up on the scheme and I think offers a higher upside than some of the other FA nose tackles.

I have not noticed the guy but the concept sounds logical and if anyone knows this player, Pagano will.