Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vikings game

Andrew Luck fan club

13 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I still feel bad when I see Xavier Rhodes on the Vikes, and Werner on the streets...

But I also knew Bradford was a smart trade for the Vikings this year.

I did not know you wanted Rhodes to be a Colt. He is playing at a very high level. Rhodes has never really gotten much recognition as one of the best CBs. When people rank the best CBs, he is rarely among the top 20. I am glad he plays for us. He is one of my favorite players (Teddy, Harrison Smith too).

Bradford is playing well, remaining calm and not making mistakes. I am happy with what we have gotten from him so far. 

I am going to the game against the Texans this coming Sunday. The Texans have a lot of good offensive weapons. I hope we win and go into our bye week at 5-0.

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I did not know you wanted Rhodes to be a Colt. He is playing at a very high level. Rhodes has never really gotten much recognition as one of the best CBs. When people rank the best CBs, he is rarely among the top 20. I am glad he plays for us. He is one of my favorite players (Teddy, Harrison Smith too).

Bradford is playing well, remaining calm and not making mistakes. I am happy with what we have gotten from him so far. 

I am going to the game against the Texans this coming Sunday. The Texans have a lot of good offensive weapons. I hope we win and go into our bye week at 5-0.

Xavier is basically the guy everyone goes back to that draft and says they wish we had taken instead of Werner. He was someone that was expected to go around us until Werner fell and then we took him instead. We will never stop hearing about it. He is a key cog to that defense. I'm more envious of the LBs you have but Rhodes is legit.....Minnesota in general has flied under the radar....no more now.

On 10/4/2016 at 0:17 PM, NFLfan said:

Bwaaha.  They are the worst offensive team in the NFL.  They have a good WR, and a rookie WR who looks like he may be good, if he can adjust to the adjustments that are now being made on him.  They certainly do not have "a lot of good offensive weapons" though.

16 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

Bwaaha.  They are the worst offensive team in the NFL.  They have a good WR, and a rookie WR who looks like he may be good, if he can adjust to the adjustments that are now being made on him.  They certainly do not have "a lot of good offensive weapons" though.

Lamar Miller is talented. Brock is still very inconsistent. They aren't a bad offensive team..but clearly they haven't put it all together there yet. What I see is that they can be schemed to force Brock to do things he isn't comfortable doing yet. New England and Minnesota put together GREAT game plans against them. Now...can we???? Good question because after the way our defense made Hoyer and the Bears offense look like Tom Brady and the Patriots....we will see how good those weapons can actually be next week. Let's be honest...does anyone feel good about Robinson vs Fuller.....anyone. Even if Davis slows down Hopkins we are going to struggle to stop Fuller with whomever lines up over there...and Miller will give us fits just like Howard did this week.

As for Minnesota.....NFLFAN...can I jump on your bandwagon....perty please lol!! That defense is sick! I love how they all play together so well....all three parts DL/LBS/Secondary compliment each other so well. Bradford is playing smart football and managing the game very well (and has the talent to exploit mistakes with deep accurate throws) this is a good football team. I know last year you said AP was hurting the offense and I think I'm starting to see what your saying. Without him they have definitely spread things out and opened up the offense more. I wasn't sure Teddy could take advantage of things without the box stacked but Sam has some tools that works well in this offense. I think they still lack a playmaker on offense to compliment Diggs but sometimes you can try to force feed these guys and when they get taken away like Beckham did against you guys you can see a team struggle to find their identity....well Minnesota knows theirs....very good TEAM.

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

As for Minnesota.....NFLFAN...can I jump on your bandwagon....perty please lol!! That defense is sick! I love how they all play together so well....all three parts DL/LBS/Secondary compliment each other so well. Bradford is playing smart football and managing the game very well (and has the talent to exploit mistakes with deep accurate throws) this is a good football team. I know last year you said AP was hurting the offense and I think I'm starting to see what your saying. Without him they have definitely spread things out and opened up the offense more. I wasn't sure Teddy could take advantage of things without the box stacked but Sam has some tools that works well in this offense. I think they still lack a playmaker on offense to compliment Diggs but sometimes you can try to force feed these guys and when they get taken away like Beckham did against you guys you can see a team struggle to find their identity....well Minnesota knows theirs....very good TEAM.

Absolutely. Hop aboard. Lol.

I went to the game yesterday. I had a blast. The stadium is beautiful and there is no bad seat in the place.

You and I had discussed the Vikes at length 2 years ago. We both believed that they had a bright future. It has all come together this year. They are playing well in all phases of the game, not just on defense. They all complement each other. The Vikes have enjoyed good field position in most games. It was the same yesterday and they scored a ST touchdown. The offense has yet to turn the ball over and they get first downs which helps to keep the defense fresh. And the defense has played at a very high level all year. The players look very disciplined, not making too many mistakes. There were many penalties yesterday but many looked questionable, especially an offsides one that negated a sack and forced fumble that we recovered. Replays showed Everson Griffen was not offsides. Had that not been called, the Texans would not have scored the touchdown that made it 31-13. 

The Vikes go into their bye 5-0. They play the Eagles in 2 weeks. 

I am thrilled, especially because the core of the team is still very young and we have our head coach signed for many more years. 

21 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The Vikes go into their bye 5-0. They play the Eagles in 2 weeks. 

This will be fun, the QB that was to be the Eagles starter, playing against the #2 draft QB (one I thought was best prepared to play immediately) quickly elevated to starter after the trade.  Bot D playing well, both offense efficient and effective.  Who wants it more?  and does experience win out over little tape on the rookie roll.

This is football.

9 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

This will be fun, the QB that was to be the Eagles starter, playing against the #2 draft QB (one I thought was best prepared to play immediately) quickly elevated to starter after the trade.  Bot D playing well, both offense efficient and effective.  Who wants it more?  and does experience win out over little tape on the rookie roll.

This is football.

The Vikes have 2 weeks to prepare for the Eagles. Zimmer will have the team ready. 

We just signed Jake Long to help on the O-line which is decimated by injuries. Let's see how that works out. I am not a fan of having too many new faces on a team unless it is absolutely necessary, as it is now.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The Vikes have 2 weeks to prepare for the Eagles. Zimmer will have the team ready. 

We just signed Jake Long to help on the O-line which is decimated by injuries. Let's see how that works out. I am not a fan of having too many new faces on a team unless it is absolutely necessary, as it is now.

Thanks for beating the Texans and eventhough I am on record picking the Packers to win the SB I will root for the Vikings when they play at Lambeau. I remember you and I both saying Brock was Average at best a while back and didn't deserve the money he got, hopefully the Colts can go into Houston and get the win. I love our chances.

On 10/4/2016 at 1:17 PM, NFLfan said:

A lot of us wanted Rhodes, myself included. 

The Vikings are on a bye: who will I use for defense in fantasy football? 

Seriously, the Vikings-Eagles game should be  a good one. Bradford facing his former team against rookie Carson Wentz, who's lighting up the Eagles right now. An Eagle fan I know says that Bradford  wanted out of Philly, so no love lost there. Can't get much better than that.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Houston radio sounds exactly like Indy radio and for obvious reasons. The better team not only won, they strolled over the Texans. Explaining why the Vikings are what they re with their personnel.......over my head.

Its like explaining why the Patriots are what they are. Starts from the top down in the organization. I know NFLFAN can probably attest but it wasn't too long ago that organization was a mess! Party boat shinnagins, bad coaching, bad attitudes....a mess. Bring in a LEADER who has shaped a team around his personality...about the next man being ready and holding people accountable for their mistakes. Refreshing. Zimmer also has a funny personality sometimes....I've seen him cutting up with players....but only when they win....dang he looks scary when they make mistakes/lose.

You bring in a LEADER (kinda like the Broncos brought in Peyton and suddenly that team changed...just as much about expectations and accountability on offense etc than even his play so much) then you bring in guys that fit the mold of what your building...in CHARACTER and skill. They have a great thing going on. They also are building this team from the middle out. Seems like if you look right up the middle dt,lb, s they have drafted in invested in having very athletic playmakers up the middle of the field. Forcing teams to beat them outside the numbers (difficult except for only the best qbs which clearly Oz isn't). Also Xavier is quickly starting to shut down one side of the field now making the scheming they can do even more effective. I'd love to have some young athletic thumpers in the middle like Minny has. They are building it right. Also doesn't hurt to hit like on all your defensive players....they have drafted very well.

8 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

A lot of us wanted Rhodes, myself included. 

Rhodes gets a lot of pass interference and holding penalties but he is as close to a shut down corner that we have. I am very pleased that we have him. He is one of my favorite players.

Do you think Grigson was seriously considering drafting Rhodes?

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Rhodes gets a lot of pass interference and holding penalties but he is as close to a shut down corner that we have. I am very pleased that we have him. He is one of my favorite players.

At the time we had Davis and Toler was just brought in and hadn't become the Toler he later became....honestly we may have liked him but I doubt he was a high priority....impossible to know but I just get that feeling. In the end we desperately needed a pass rusher (and still do) so we took the best prospect that fell to us.

47 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Its like explaining why the Patriots are what they are. Starts from the top down in the organization. I know NFLFAN can probably attest but it wasn't too long ago that organization was a mess! Party boat shinnagins, bad coaching, bad attitudes....a mess. Bring in a LEADER who has shaped a team around his personality...about the next man being ready and holding people accountable for their mistakes. Refreshing. Zimmer also has a funny personality sometimes....I've seen him cutting up with players....but only when they win....dang he looks scary when they make mistakes/lose.

You bring in a LEADER (kinda like the Broncos brought in Peyton and suddenly that team changed...just as much about expectations and accountability on offense etc than even his play so much) then you bring in guys that fit the mold of what your building...in CHARACTER and skill. They have a great thing going on. They also are building this team from the middle out. Seems like if you look right up the middle dt,lb, s they have drafted in invested in having very athletic playmakers up the middle of the field. Forcing teams to beat them outside the numbers (difficult except for only the best qbs which clearly Oz isn't). Also Xavier is quickly starting to shut down one side of the field now making the scheming they can do even more effective. I'd love to have some young athletic thumpers in the middle like Minny has. They are building it right. Also doesn't hurt to hit like on all your defensive players....they have drafted very well.

We also have some good depth players that contribute a lot, especially on defense. For example, Tom Johnson (a former Colt, I believe) is a key guy for us. He has played in place of Sharrif Floyd who is oft injured. We can always count on him to get sacks, like he did last Sunday. And what can we say about DE Danielle Hunter! I think he was a steal in the 3rd round last year. He is a great pass rusher and has made contributions in every game despite being a backup player. I think he will be starting next year. 

I don't think we will re-sign Floyd. I think he can be great if he plays. Perhaps he might be good for your Colts. I would hate to lose him though. 

13 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

We also have some good depth players that contribute a lot, especially on defense. For example, Tom Johnson (a former Colt, I believe) is a key guy for us. He has played in place of Sharrif Floyd who is oft injured. We can always count on him to get sacks, like he did last Sunday. And what can we say about DE Danielle Hunter! I think he was a steal in the 3rd round last year. He is a great pass rusher and has made contributions in every game despite being a backup player. I think he will be starting next year. 

I don't think we will re-sign Floyd. I think he can be great if he plays. Perhaps he might be good for your Colts. I would hate to lose him though. 

Next man up...so true. McKinney and Asanti or however its spelled have quietly stepped in and filled Adrian's shoes. Of course too many injuries can eventually wear down even the best teams. I look at Denver in 2013 and they just kept losing guys and by the SB they were without Harris and Miller and I think Wolfe and a couple other guys on defense and of course they had lost Clady on the offensive line earlier in the year but they just weren't healthy at a lot of key positions and ran into a buzz saw. I hope that doesn't happen to you guys. Hope you can stay relatively healthy the rest of the way.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

We (many of us in Colt Nation) believed he was.  So many of us certainly were.  Then the Werner bomb shell hit.  Took the wind out of my gut that night.   :-(

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Seriously condered him? Maybe. But not enough to draft him over Werner at least. We were pretty split on Werner, so its hard to say who woulve been more popular at the time. But the fact of the matter is, around here at least, the Werner pick is always judged against Rhodes. For what its worth.

No 20th pick is perfect, but i think its borderline unanimous we missed on that one.

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Seriously condered him? Maybe. But not enough to draft him over Werner at least. We were pretty split on Werner, so its hard to say who woulve been more popular at the time. But the fact of the matter is, around here at least, the Werner pick is always judged against Rhodes. For what its worth.

No 20th pick is perfect, but i think its borderline unanimous we missed on that one.

I'm no draft guru nor do I pretend to be one. But, I do agree with your sentiment OPC that the Rhodes debate appears to have undergone a little bit of revisionist history here. By that I mean, some Colts fans act like Rhodes was a landslide consensus that a vast majority of fans wanted to play for the horseshoe. It really wasn't. 

I'm agreeing with you OPC that the divide between Werner & Rhodes was evenly split. Did the Werner pick crash & burn? Yep. 

I do wonder if Mike Zimmer drafted Werner if he'd still be playing in the league though. Zim's is that darn good. 

10 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I'm no draft guru nor do I pretend to be one. But, I do agree with your sentiment OPC that the Rhodes debate appears to have undergone a little bit of revisionist history here. By that I mean, some Colts fans act like Rhodes was a landslide consensus that a vast majority of fans wanted to play for the horseshoe. It really wasn't. 

I'm agreeing with you OPC that the divide between Werner & Rhodes was evenly split. Did the Werner pick crash & burn? Yep. 

I do wonder if Mike Zimmer drafted Werner if he'd still be playing in the league though. Zim's is that darn good. 

Oh no doubt that people around here make it out to be a landslide pick when back then, Werner was once projected as a top 10 pick.  Rhodes, to my recollection, was never projected that high at any point in the draft.  Granted, Werner fell and around draft day he was anywhere from a top 20 to top 30 projected player.

I think the sentiment back then was like you said, fairly split (certainly not the reaction people now have about it).  Most people didn't really question his talent at the time, they were more concerned with whether we could transition a 4-3 DE to 3-4 DE.  The other major concern was his speed.  In retrospect, both those concerns proved legitimate and ultimately unable to be overcome.

PS.  Zimmer didn't join the Vikings as HC until 2014. :)

55 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I think the sentiment back then was like you said, fairly split (certainly not the reaction people now have about it).  Most people didn't really question his talent at the time, they were more concerned with whether we could transition a 4-3 DE to 3-4 DE.  The other major concern was his speed.  In retrospect, both those concerns proved legitimate and ultimately unable to be overcome.

PS.  Zimmer didn't join the Vikings as HC until 2014. :)

Yep, that's right. Zimmer did not draft Rhodes.

I think your resident draft guru Dustin wanted the Colts to draft Sharrif Floyd but I think Floyd was drafted before Werner. I believe he liked Rhodes too. 

18 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Yep, that's right. Zimmer did not draft Rhodes.

I think your resident draft guru Dustin wanted the Colts to draft Sharrif Floyd but I think Floyd was drafted before Werner. I believe he liked Rhodes too. 

Yup.  Had Floyd dropped, I would have wanted him over Rhodes and Werner.  We definitely lost out the way it ultimately played out.

I don't remember pprevious drafts all that well, usually, but the 2013 was different.  Yes, I remember Rhodes because I followed (didn't do) so many mock drafts that year. Rhodes name was everywhere. Check this list below-

ESPN, Todd McShay (April 21)

No. 24: CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida St.

ESPN, Mel Kiper (April 22)

Sports Illustrated, Peter King (April 24)

NFL.com, Gill Brandt (April 23)

Fox Sports, Peter Schrager (April 23)

No. 24: CB D.J. Hayden, Houston

CBS Sports, Pete Prisco (April 21)

No. 24: C Brian Schwenke, California

USA Today, Nate Davis (April 24)

No. 24: OL Justin Pugh, Syracuse

Yahoo! Sports, Greg Cosell (April 24)

Many forum members had him fall to us as well in their mocks. I also remember people hoping certain guys would fall, (Floyd being one of many).  Thus, when Minny came up to draft, both Floyd and Rhodes were on the shelf.  I was certain one of those two would be ours, and was quite pleased.  Then neither were, and then both were the Vikings property.  I never bought into Werner, and maybe some of posts over the first couple years hinted at that, but always hoped he's make the 'jump' and prove me wrong.  He never did and I try to forget him at every turn.

Since then, Ive tried and found other draft sites / scouts ing and filled out my own mocks. Mainly because of the Rise and Fall (and surprise) of a player like Werner.  And yes, that means you can count me in as a member of the you can't jam a square peg in a round hole and expect top notch results, or expect athletic feats out of non athletic players.